The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

And Grealish is also a dickhead if you call them dickheads. I mean, if we think about Grealish then we’d better going for Leicester guys.

I actually like Mason Mount but Chelsea will require Salah at the minimum (a.k.a they won’t sell) if we are to buy him.

1 Like

More chaotic, more heartless with the way they treat players, less forgiving, less joined up thinking between playing style/recruitment, less certainty over who the manager will be from season to season. In some ways yes. But don’t think the points were specifically about a particular player and rival club I might phrase things a bit differently if it was a straight up Liverpool vs Real Madrid discussion.

1 Like

He wont because he needs to be the main man in the team that will not happen at liverpool

I’d love to sign Grealish, and would take a chance on Barnes if price was right. Both hard working on the pitch and seem loved by teammates. What makes them dickheads more than Sancho?

If Leicester doesn’t make it to the CL next season, we may have a fair chance to nick a player from them. Having said that, they charge extraordinary premium on their players and City, United, and Chelsea has more money than us.

There are plenty of other players and clubs to work with, I don’t see the fascination with wanting to sign them from Leicester?

3 Likes

I remember a lot of us making jokes on TIA about how Liverpool should sign Southampton’s scouting department and simply cut out the middle man. Leicester seem to have taken Southampton’s recipe and amped it up a few notches. Like Edwards with Robertson and Van Dijk, I really admire Leicester’s ability to pluck out a bargain like Kante and Mahrez but also to spend big on calculated gambles like Tielemans and Fofana.

I doubt we’ll be buying a player from them any time soon, though I fully expect Edwards to make one or two transfers like Mane, Fabinho or Jota (i.e. established, big-money players but not outrageously priced like Van Dijk) and hope they’ll be as successful.

4 Likes

Pretty sure the main guy who was responsible at Leicester for Kante par example isn’t there anymore. Everton tried with him. I think he even left. Though like we saw with the Monchi/Sevilla example, it doesn’t change over night. It was difficult to build/replicate at Roma, while Sevilla still continued more or less with same success.

2 Likes

Apart from a good player winding their contract down, I don’t see any value in doing business with Leicester for one of their good players.

They have money, they are stable, so they will need an offer they can’t refuse… at which point we would surely shop elsewhere, especially given the knowledge of the scouting and recruitment department.

Yeah, apparently Leicester has adopted a plan similar to ours. They are trying to operate sustainably. I feel they will sell a player if they don’t make CL to match their expense, but will hold on to their stars if they have the CL money.

I’m curious about Brendan’s role in the recruitment.

IMO Brendan is as good as Klopp if not better when it comes to scouting prospective youngsters. Klopp is handout better, however, when it comes to big money transfers.

I am just talking about transfer and scouting aspects.

Many - including Roma apparently - don’t seem to understand that it is about a system, not an individual person and just because someone is the head of that system in his current role it doesn’t mean he knows it in so much detail that he can just easily re-create it and make it successful elsewhere.

6 Likes

Bamford is 27?

:exploding_head:

6 Likes

Steve Walsh was credited with the signings of Kante and Mahrez. Both unbelievable finds but people seem to forget the Slimani, Musa, Adrien Silva and many others who went on to be very expensive flops. He did indeed go to Everton but was bombed out for Marcel Brands after failing to replicate the good bits of what he did at Leicester.

Currently their recruitment is headed up by Lee Congerton. He was part of our coaching staff way back and then joined Chelsea alongside Rodgers who was reserve team manager there so they go way back. He was also with Rodgers at Celtic but I know a lot of fans were underwhelmed by the recruitment during their time there.

They’ve done well since they joined Leicester but they’re operating at a higher level in terms of budget. I remember a lot of fans were shocked with how much they paid for Maddison at the time. Inheanacho was considered a flop until the turn of this year. Perez was a baffling transfer.

Others have been good for sure but spending £40m on Tielemans when he was highly regarded and had already made one reasonably big move and done well is hardly down to astute scouting. Same for Fofona, highly rated but no one else willing to spend that amount on him and it certainly raised some eyebrows. He started really well but hasn’t been anything special since.

If you want to be impressed by anything at that club, their new training centre is absolutely stunning and puts many other top clubs to shame. https://www.lcfc.com/newtrainingground

11 Likes

Can’t really agree these were gambles? Both were well known, we even asked Fofana to stay 1 more season and we’d sign him…

And for Kante you can argue Robbo etc.

I think we do alright! Especially considering most clubs try to rinse the fuck out of us.

2 Likes

7 Likes

And Newcastle’s before that back in the day.

1 Like

Yeah, the Yuri transfer was for me comparable to Gini going to newcastle. A player who had been on the radar of top clubs for a while and you were just waiting for a big move and then a move happens but its to a club no one expected and everyone is left scratching their chin trying to understand what happened.

It’s still a savvy signing for them though to go and find quality players who are obtainable to them. I think one thing you can likely surmise from it, is that Leicester have enough going on that they are able to sell themselves to good players as a worthwhile project to be a part of, which is something that they deserve credit for even if the players they sell it to are not exactly unearthed gems.

7 Likes

If I’m honest, I don’t know what I should attribute the transfer of Tielemans to other than good scouting. Young player who had seemingly lost his way in his new club, new league, new country… Paying big money for him had to be properly considered, no? Van Dijk, for example, was almost twice as expensive and coming from a much weaker side - fans of other clubs were taking the piss out of Liverpool’s staff because of that. He doubled his value, in my opinion, just like Tielemans doubled his since he moved to Leicester. These sort of transfers really struck me as careful planning, rather than something that was forced upon the club by greedy agents, good “relationships” etc.

With Leicester in particular, I think they had their stinker of a transfer window right after they won the league (reminds me what happened after Suarez was sold shudders). Since that, majority of their transfers were pretty good, even those expensive ones. I did think (and still do) that they overpaid for Perez and that Iheanacho should have been a great transfer - he’s only started scoring regularly a few months back, so the jury is still out on him. Majority of them, though, Maguire, Kante, Mahrez, Ndidi, Evans, Tielemans, Maddison, Pereira, Soyuncu, Justin, Castagne, Fofana… For me, all of them were very successful transfers.

To be honest, I first heard of Fofana when Arsenal signed Saliba, I can’t remember who wanted Fofana but I really can’t remember ever reading that Liverpool were one of those teams. I’m not suggesting that he wasn’t highly rated, just that I wasn’t aware of him.

Paying that kind of money for two kids is a gamble, in my opinion, especially as Tielemans hadn’t really set the world alight at Monaco and Fofana had about one season in Ligue 1 when he moved to Leicester.

Didn’t Leicester get him on loan first with an option to buy?

1 Like