The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Yeah, if someone is able to splash that kind of money, it’s us for a Groningen/Celtic/Southampton player. Internacional/Roma also. Istres/Salzburg/Leipzig also.

Mbappe is not comparable to those. He might have been when he was at Monaco. But earlier in his time there. It’s not for us.

1 Like

I dont think he was consciously doing so. Like Mane, I think that he ‘needs’ to score goals to just feel he is contributing.

2 Likes

High level analysis in the thread!

7 Likes

So if you selectively believe the bullshit that is coming from Duncan Castles of all people, then we can rule out everyone but us and Madrid? All the bullshit says is he has an admiration for us but Real Madrid is his dream. You can’t say “now the prime motivation is out can we stop talking about other clubs” because you don’t know what his motivations are. You’re basing it on what you yourself describe as bullshit.

He might choose to sit for another year and have his pick next season. He might agitate for a move this summer but no one comes up with an offer that’s acceptable. PSG also have a say in whether or not he moves and prefer to keep him for one more season and then let him go. He could also still sign a new contract, something that is not out of the question. And of course, as much as you protest, there is still the chance someone like City, a highly attractive proposition that could guarantee him trophies and far more money than we could, may put an offer on the table that makes him think twice.

Mbappe and Sancho? Wow, I thought we were in the land of make believe before but clearly you’re still on a high from yesterday.

I would love it if we signed him but we all know we won’t. The fee, the wages, selling Mane/Salah, Real Madrid lurking. Even Klopp has said it couldn’t happen.

2 Likes

No matter who you get, its a HUGE risk trying to replace a guaranteed 20+ goal a season player that is barely injured, and that only gets 22 league goals and 5 assists when he’s having a shit year, not to mention goals and assists in other competitions.

I would rather sell Mane and/or Bobby to get even 60% of Mbappe’s transfer fee. I doubt Bobby will be sold while Jurgen is Liverpool Manager, unless he asks to be transferred.

6 Likes

After the way we ended the season I’d be inclined not to sell any of them, the football we were playing in those last few games was like watching us back at our best.

A centre back and central midfielder are a necessity. Bring Elliot back into the mix. An extra forward would be a bonus if we can shift Origi, Wilson, Minamino and Shaqiri off the books.

8 Likes

I don’t see how Chelsea is an attractive option…they have a history of ruining strikers specifically…Kezman, Shevchenko, Torres, Sturridge, Crespo etc, the only successful striker they had since Abramovich came in was only Drogba.

I don’t see how Chelsea are attractive, you’re perhaps looking at the fact, Tuchel is there and they were together at PSG.

1 Like

Well, presumably Mbappe would be brought in as a wide forward, not a striker. Chelsea have had lots of success with those. The attractiveness also refers to their success in CL & the PL over the last decade or so.

1 Like

What premier league success? Same as us top
4?

CL success is on par with us, won it once in the last 10yrs and we’ve been in 1 more final than those in the last 10yrs.

1 Like

Are there any links, like from even Duncan Castles level reputation, for any clubs other than Real Madrid and Liverpool? I know you seem personally agitated by the talk but we are about 40% of the talk for one of the best players in the world who seems to be likely to move somewhere this summer. You seem hell bent in arguing what can happen won’t by introducing factors into it.

For me it’s actually simpler than you’re making it;

1. Is he potentially moving on this summer? Yes.

2. Has there been universally accepted list of clubs he appears tempted by? Yes us and Real Madrid.

3. Could we, in theory, afford him if we want to? Yes, up till this seasons accounts we were paying around £50m in outgoing payments that are now finished. Before sales that actually more than covers the cost of the likely fee.

4. Can we in theory sort out his wages? In theory, obviously a big unknown here, but his current salary isn’t as different to Salahs as many assume/believe.

2 Likes
  1. Might move, not is moving.
  2. A list of clubs from Duncan Castles. That is not universally accepted.
  3. No, we couldn’t. Fee would be hugely dependent on selling someone for a massive fee in a depressed market.
  4. Basic wages are already £175k a week more than our top earner gets and our accounts showed how high our wages have spiralled.

I’m not hell bent on finding factors as to why it won’t happen. It’s simply having a rounded view without the rose tinted spectacles on.

If Nike decide to give us £100m to make it happen then of course it could become a reality. But until there’s any evidence of that happening then the things I’m pointing out are just pretty clear reasons why this is a non-starter. If you disagree, don’t let it agitate you but then please don’t be disappointed when it doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

I’m on the probably won’t happen bus, but there’s a small chance it might happen.

It’s fun to speculate, to a point. To put all your hopes in the one Mbappe basket is setting yourself up for a fall. But I’m not willing to rule it out, entirely.

4 Likes

Because none of them are out of contract…

You may not be hell bent on finding factors, but you are identifying the obvious reasons why we won’t sign Mbappe.

However, when this type of talent mentions the club as a possible destination to play for, then you might have to suspend the logical thought processes.

We have a number of players to offload, due to wages, inability to stay fit, simply not good enough to cut it at the club. Maybe Mbappe’s wages are already factored in. Maybe FSG and Nike know that this makes sense, from a football and commercial perspective. Not many players fit that bill? Messi, Ronaldo, not many others? Haaland isnt there yet…

Its fantasy football season, I think its a very high possibility that we sign him.

2 Likes

With you on this one. Definitely keeping salah. Mane would be an interesting swap, but not sure what it does to the balance of the team.

1. Nobody can ever predict anything, looks likely to move, that’s all you can base whether a player is available or not.

2. Not just him. Find real journalists actually writing stories on Mbappe going anywhere other than Real or here. I’ve seen opinion pieces about why he should or why certain clubs such as United should sign him but, bizarrely, only two clubs actually linked as possible destinations.

3. No it isn’t hugely dependent. Three years ago we spent over £150m on outgoing cash commitments which is all paid off now at roughly £50m per year. The year before that was similar but offset by similar levels of incoming cash. Our outgoing cash bill is around £50m less than it was a year. Before sales (which there will be) that is the funds, should we choose to use them, for £150m over 3 years or £200m over 4 for incoming player(s) fee(s).

4. Seen many conflicting accounts on how much Mbappe vs Salahs salaries are, never seen as big a difference as you are listing.

As much I would love to see Mbappe in a red shirt, I would much rather have Haaland over Mbappe. We need a pure, powerful and clinical scorer. Yes I know Mo is a scorer, but I argue with such an powerful striker in the middle it’ll open more room for Mo to score. Plus Mbappe style is similar to Mo’s, and we need to change the dynamics up front to be successful next season.

2 Likes

Forces currently list Salah at £16.3m wages and Mbappe at £14.7m wages by the way. Not that there’ll ever be 100% clear transparency on the subject if only for legal issues.

1 Like

I find it hard to believe Salah is on more the Mbappe. Perhaps there’s that thing where sometimes transfer fees are shown with or without bonuses etc, perhaps they’ve shown Mo’s with advertising rights, Mbappe without or something. Can’t remember who it was we bought but the discrepancy in the prices from 1 paper to the next was huge just because one included bonuses, the other didnt.

Not to downplay our chances btw, i really think there are ways around this, Nike etc but its not what Mbappe is on now that will be the problem, its that PSG have supposedly offered him a 500k pw contract which is something we could never compete with without blowing our pay structure out the window. Hopefully he’ll come just to play for Klopp :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well no, they’ve won the league twice in the last decade, two Europa League titles and in qualifying for this year’s final have matched our CL record.

They’ve been in the top four more frequently than us too.