The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I wouldn’t class that as attractive, you could add location as a lure to Chelsea, but him having played at Anfield already, he would’ve seen how electrifying it is. We’re much more of a prestigious attraction

According to twitter The Times are claiming Brighton have dropped Bissouma’s asking price from 40m to 30m.

Very solid signing at that price if true and a very obvious replacement for Wijnaldum.

12 Likes

If Mbappé is coming in (he isn’t) it will mean Mané leaving and probably Firmino too.

I think this says it all.

As much as anything could happen, so could this. But it’ll take more than shifting some half injured dead wood to make it work.

Have a sponsor ever been directly involved in the financing of a player? Nike had Neymar on their books for years and had sponsored PSG for years too but was there any indication of them part funding or persuading him to move there?

1 Like

I doubt it’s both, one or the other… Or Salah (shudder the thought).

But anyway, anyone using Duncan Castles on this forum should be banned.

When I followed rugby very closely I found out that the ‘rules/laws’ over sponsorship and advertising rights is very different in France to the uK (as are the players contracts and hence their transfers, will comment on that after). The official ‘basic’ wage Mbappe is on could be very different from what he actually recieves (this is compounded by the income tax system in France meaning it is more than likely someone Quatarian sponsors Mbappe to a very heavy extent).
However I do doubt bonuses come into play, that’s probably more to do with someone not understanding the intricacies of sponsors etc.

A player of Mbappe’s stature can effectively ‘decide’ where he’s going under the French system. If LFC and RM are the only ones being mentionned I’d say for him it’s either one or the other of course with the possibility that he remains at PSG.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it won’t be Salah. Throws the balance out. We’d have to be signing Mbappé AND another forward for the right side if Salah was to be sold.

1 Like

Happens in French rugby so surely happens in Football as well!

https://twitter.com/SimonBrundish/status/1396751067740884996?s=19

6 Likes

Advertising rights were just a guess but yes, i think the figures are wrong. I think Mbappe is on more than the 14m a year quoted and unless i missed it i cant remember even Mo was on over 300k a week so unless there are addons included i just dont think thats right

Mo is a world class, excellent player! I want him to stay, and ideally with Mbappe.

If it came to a choice, Mbappe over Mo for me.

(Idea speculation though)

2 Likes

Mate, your selective bias is really something.

If we get linked with someone you say that’s almost definitely not who we’re after as our targets don’t get leaked but when it comes to this guy a passing mention is concrete enough. I don’t think we’ve actually been linked by anyone reliable. There’s passing mention of his admiration of us but nothing to show we have a real interest beyond the interest every club in the world will have in him.

We’ve just had our accounts released. There is a huge black hole in revenue. It’s been shown time and again that you don’t fully understand the finances by people who clearly do. What about the cash commitments for Thiago and Jota, have they vanished into thin air?

We’ve done the wages discussion before. It is widely reported that Mbappe makes £375k a week, Salah £200k. Both will see that topped up by bonuses etc. Salah likely has better incentives but will earn less this year than in the previous two because of results. You’ll quote a Forbes article to argue this, I’ll point you to another more recent Forbes article that has entirely different figures and you’ll ignore that whilst insisting Forbes is reliable and therefore we can match his wages.

It will take something phenomenal for him to come here. I’m talking some hooky Nike deal where part of the fees and wages are offset by then for a bigger commercial revenue. But if they’d do that for us, why not another one of their clubs? And I’m sure FFP would have something to say about it.

1 Like

Does it? Kit manufacturers pay for players? I thought those types of deals were down to the rich owners?

1 Like

If Elliott can really be an immediate upgrade on Shaqiri (in the way that Jones was an immediate upgrade on AOC/Keita in 2020/21 because of his availability and undisputed talent), then I’m all over it. I do think that a forward is a necessity, though. Just put these four together, put together their goals and assists and… Yeah, I’m frightened, another forward is a must in my book!

1 Like

What is quoted will be a guess at what the club pays the player. I could well imagine Salah earning more than Mbappe. Mbappe’s sponsorship deals however are probably much more lucrative than Salah’s. They are not the same thing. Obviously bonuses are another part of the puzzle and are also treated differently in different countries. I also don’t think you should confuse them as it gets too complicated, that’s why clubs employ people to work lots of stuff out.

I have no idea but that’s not the question I answered!

Edit; anyone who wishes can sponsor a player, so it’s possible even if not probable. In answer to your later question and to alleviate your confusion.

1 Like

I see. Money comes from a “sponsor” but not necessarily a sponsor of the club.

I didnt think our wage structure was anywhere near 300k pw for any player so i checked. I Doubt sportbible is very reliable but i’ve read the same 200k figures other places too. Left a link below but if Mo is actually on £200k basic then there is no way hes on more than Mbappe

Liverpool Wages Revealed With Highest-Paid Player Earning £200,000-A-Week.

1 Like

I just can’t understand anyone who has any misgivings about Mo Salah being a Liverpool player. Any notion of moving him on to help fund a new signing is absolute folly in my book. We have one of the world’s greatest forwards, which we’ve always had for decades, (with only a few years exception here and there). Of course he will need to be replaced at some point, but we’re a couple of seasons from that with luck! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nat Phillips earns a lot. :astonished:

Yes! I was just imagining. Knowing our clubs policy on wages your probably correct. Then again the club did give Salah a wage rise/new contract very soon after he arrived here.