The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

That article was Feb 2021. Just found the forbes thing dreamer was looking at. It seems Mo did get about £15m last year because of all the incentives in his contract. I’ll quote the main bit below. It also mentioned it went up $10m in the article late 2020 from his 2019 earnings so i’m assuming a massive bonus from us winning the league and possibly the CL before that. If it was because of that then the extra $10m can hardly be counted on year after year.

“His salary of $23.1 million accounts for almost two-thirds of his total earnings, whereby a highly incentivised contract at Liverpool boosts his figures beyond his £200,000 weekly pay packet.”

Actually found the article in a very familiar place

1 Like

I dont know
You are 100% correct
He won’t sign for Liverpool because it makes no sense.

Kill the hope mate, no place for optimism in an unreliable transfer thread.

3 Likes

The context of my post is nothing to do with Mbappe, it’s the fact we continue this narrative on everything.

Last week it was lack of CL, now it’s because we didn’t win anything. When we win something it’s because we haven’t won enough even though 2 CL finals and a EL final as well as a continuous run to qualify for the CL and 2/1/3 place in the league would suggest you come here to challenge for the top honours especially under Klopp.

That means the reason Mbappe won’t come is not because of our status but as you say cash.

6 Likes

Have we signed anyone yet??? The season is over for more than 24 hours.

6 Likes

LOL

your so cute

9 Likes

Rightly so

Perfectly articulated lol. Any chat of selling Salah is madness.

We don’t know what we got til it’s gone

5 Likes

i do have to laugh at the forums continued issue with right and left centre backs and how the numbers have to be leveled up…but in the same thread discuss the best way we buy Mbappe is selling Salah.

8 Likes

would that not break 3rd party ownership rules?

Nope. Nike wouldn’t be obtaining an economic interest in the transfer value of the player.

2 Likes

No idea, wouldn’t it depend on the contracts?

EDIT: Btw what is that in French?

Just one thing on the wages, nowhere will be 100% reliable and accurate. However Forbes are as close to a neutral, informed, party as we are likely to get.

In their LATEST set of accounts Salah earns more on his wage from his club than Mbappe currently does.

People like to talk like Mbappe, currently, earns double what Salah does to prove points but it’s not actually realistic.

There are a few things to keep in mind on this;

1. Mbappe may demand a significant payrise to move from PSG as he is sitting on a (supposedly) massive offer from them to stay at his home town club.

2. If it does all boil down to wages or even mostly wages I doubt he actually moves anywhere though as PSG can out pay anyone.

3. We can match what he currently earns and seemingly better it if only a little.

4. Mbappe is already a Nike athlete and along with James Central to a new marketing focus with them two as the stars in Nikes crown, however he still “only” earns just over £4m a year which is lower than the Neymars deal of just over £8m a year that just came to an end. Nike haven’t got Mbappe under long term deal it is very possible, especially with a move to the highest profile team they have, in the highest profile league in the sport, that Nike could stick Mbappe on an even higher deal than Neymar was on. That would only be the start of the endorsement increases Mbappe could secure making a move.

There is a very good chance we won’t sign Mbappe, he could stay a bit longer at PSG or move to Real Madrid despite the chaos there.

It just pisses me off how people come on here and try to talk down to anyone who thinks there is a chance like they are children. There should be no room for condescending bullshit.

I don’t think anybody believes Mbappe is definitely coming here, but some people like to invent reasons why it’s absolutely, categorically, impossible and get sneery over anybody who calls their logic into question.

2 Likes

Be careful what u wish for…

Do I think that Mbappé will end up here this summer? No… although it would be nice, as I stuck twenty quid on it for a laugh.

But do I think it’s as far-fetched as some posters seem to think? Definitely not.

It’s less than a 50-50 chance, which is why I don’t think we’ll sign him, but it’s more than a 0% chance.

9 Likes

Your getting snippy because you’re calling other people’s logic into question. Not guesswork, logic. I’m a logically minded person so that’s how I form opinions. But I know the world isn’t always logical so of course there’s a chance I’ll be proved wrong. Won’t be the first time, won’t be the last.

And for fear of doing it again, I do heavily question Forbes as being as reliable as they get. You’d at least expect there to be some consistency in the salary figures they report. I guess it comes down to which Forbes piece you choose to believe because they certainly aren’t consistent in their figures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2020/09/14/the-worlds-highest-paid-soccer-players-2020-messi-wins-mbappe-rises/amp/

Anyway, dreamer by name, dreamer by nature and I bet you’re more optimistic for it. Don’t let me bring you down, I’m just someone on the internet who happens to disagree with you because to me the logic says it’s highly unlikely this is in the realms of possible let alone probable.

1 Like

I don’t think Mbappe will come here this summer, but if he does it will be because this is where he wants to come. It won’t be because we bid more than everyone else or offered him the highest wages.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic that he could come here, but I think he’d have to be the catalyst. Tell PSG he wants to leave and come here, accept a wage cut or some kind of structured deal with Nike making up the difference somehow. Or he’ll have to see out his contract and come here then.

I’m not convinced he would do any of these things, but it’s not impossible. I just think it’s more likely we see Mane, Bobby, Salah, Jota and Ox covering the front three positions next year.

1 Like

Even going off those figures (which have seemingly been updated since that article as the figures I went off date later) still only puts the difference at $4m or £54.4k a week more than Salah. I just don’t agree with you that wages are anywhere near double for Mbappe than what Salah is on. Now I’ll concede it may well take doubling Salahs wages, we can’t know that, but it goes against the soundbites out of the player and, as I’ve repeatedly said, nobody LEAVES PSG looking for higher wages. If higher wages is your motivation or even a main one then you stay there.

On what is reported to be the base salary taken from reports around the time each signed their current deals, Salah is on about £200k a week and Mbappe £375k. Now I know there will be huge incentives in Mo’s contract based on performances and success so he’ll earn more than that.

But even by your own calculations a £54k a week difference is pretty big if Mo’s contract is heavily based on incentives and that figure was from a season that included a golden boot and a CL title.

Now, given we’ve got a decision to come on a new contract for Mo, any deal for Mbappe will have to factor in how a higher earner might affect those contract negotiations too. And then you’d potentially have two players in the top ten highest earners in the world at the club. A deal for Mbappe would have serious financial considerations beyond just a base salary comparison.

It’s not impossible but it’s not all that feasible.

6 Likes

Worth noting when comparing what Salah and Mbappé earned last year that Mbappé is still on the same deal he signed 4 years ago when he joined PSG as a teenager and a high percentage of his salary will be guaranteed.

Salah signed an improved deal a year after he arrived when he’d just broken the PL goalscoring record in his first season and led us to the CL final. His new deal improved his base salary and also included a lot of incentive based contingencies, as is standard practice for us. Last season was one of our most successful in history. Only DeBruyne registered more goals and assists than he did that year. We won more league games than ever. We won the Super Cup. The Club World Cup.

It’s essentially the most Salah is ever likely to earn with us and it will be a fair bit less this year. Mbappé, meanwhile, continues to earn more on an old contract and is being offered a shit load more to re-sign.

Paying Salah over £200k per week just isn’t even closely equivalent to being used as the basis for claiming we could pay Mbappé the sort of salary he could command. This doesn’t happen without Nike dipping in their pocket and that’s assuming we can pay whatever fee PSG would demand.

I just don’t see it.

One plus though is that Real Madrid are fucked. If Mbappé does move this summer we could compete with Real Madrid on wages and, in fact, everyone else bar City.

6 Likes