The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Yeah, if Mbappe comes as our best paid player, you think Salah, Mane, Alisson, VVD etc, our best players, their agents will not be agitating for deals that equals or even better that? And rightly so, because what have Mbappe done for us compared to these players? Would the club risk financial prudence for a very good player? Or should we even do it.

3 Likes

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

4 Likes

Happy to sell Mo to fund Kylian. Remember next season Mo is going to be unavailable for significant periods and realistically his resale value is unlikely to rise further from here and heā€™ll be 30 before the 22-23 season starts.

Football moves on quickly. If we donā€™t replenish our forward line this season weā€™ll have a lot to do the summer after. Salah has been great for us but heā€™s the only guy who I think we could sell to fund a world class forward. Would be open to selling Bobby too but I donā€™t think weā€™d get a fee that would fund an adequate replacement.

For the record I think itā€™s madness to contemplate selling Mo for Mbappe. Salah is incredible and (one of) the reason(s) we won the league/ champions league. Madness, despite how sexy Mbappe looks/sounds.

If Mo is fomenting dissent and wants out, fine. Otherwise, Iā€™m looking at funding Mbappe elsewhere.

9 Likes

Mbappe is better and younger than Salahā€¦ If he replaced Mo. I think by middle of next season nobody would be wishing we hadnā€™t sold Salah to fund Mbappeā€¦

But the problem is: very slim chance Mbappe actually comes here. So why set ourselves up for disappointment.

** IMO though. We should keep our front 4 ( Firmino Salah mane and Jota)ā€¦ And add a CF who is more clinical than Firmino and good enough to replace firmino in the starting 11ā€¦ A real CF and not another wing forward. Or false 9.

Our current front 4 deserves another chance next season with our new additions at CF, CM and CB. And our injured players back.

3 Likes

He is younger and looks better against Ligue un competition. It is not a given that he is actually better than Mo.

5 Likes

Mbappe is only 22ā€¦ Thatā€™s huge and he has done well internationally and in CL competitionā€¦

But of course nobody reads what my preference would beā€¦ Which would be to keep our front 4 intact. And add a CF

I donā€™t get the sell Mo to buy Mbappe. Doesnā€™t Mbappe like to play on the left?
Iā€™d keep Salah at all costs right now, especially if we want to really challenge next year.
Mbappe could play centrally, Sadio and Mo either side, or Mbappe takes Sadios spot with Bobby in the middle.
But Sadio is a great player, how many elite attackers do as much defensive work like he does? Iā€™d hate to see Sadio go, as he links up so well with Robbo.

The answer is clear. Donā€™t sell any of them, buy Mbappe, sit him on the bench and tell him to earn his place in the team.

2 Likes

Good teams transit, they donā€™t just change their best player over night and then expect things to remain the same or better overnight. Mbappe is damn good, no one disputes that but he is not the only player that Klopp can bring in and make us the team that no one wants to play against.

3 Likes

No. Salah out this summer or at any time before the inevitable decline sets in would never be anywhere near great. It would not even get close to good.

Salah and Mbappe in the same team would be great and if that team plays at Anfield then it would be astronomically great.

Yes, if we are to buy him then we would probably have to sell one of our principal forwards, but not Salah. Heā€™s the one that scores the goals, even when heā€™s not having a great season. It would be Bobby or Sadio and I canā€™t see Klopp selling Bobby so maybe Sadio better start learning German. It has been rumoured that Dortmund are interested as a Sancho replacement and they will have money to spend.

3 Likes

Selling Salah right now is extremely stupid, because we will simply run the new player to the ground next season instead of Salah (whose goals literally carried the team this year).

If I am to sell one, I will sell Mane or Firmino, but not Salah.

2 Likes

Well I must be extra extremely stupid because I think selling Mo to fund Kylian would be a great long term move by the club.

1 Like

Of course, selling our most prized asset worked well with Coutinho but he wasnā€™t really the fulcrum of the team. Whereas without Mo weā€™re fucked, even if heā€™s replaced by Mbappe. Thereā€™s no knowing how quickly Mbappe would adapt to life in England and in the PL, and of course having both Mo and Mbappe is cake and eat it time.

If itā€™s possible for us to have two absolutely world-class forwards in our team, then I think thatā€™s something we should go for rather than discarding the one we already have.

2 Likes

First weā€™re not fucked without Mo. But if you really believe that then next season we will a disaster with Mo missing several chunks of the season.

I agree that he has done well. Regarding the highlighted, the most important would be: to remain fit until the end of the season.

But he got injured, and that probably spells the end of hopes for him to stay with us. Maybe Iā€™m wrong, and if he stays, Iā€™ll fully back Klopp and co. on their decision.

1 Like

FFP doesnā€™t exist. Ask City.

I just want Salah to stay. Been our most constant goal scorer for seasons. We could fund 100 million just by sales if Klopp wants MBappe. Origi/Minamino/Keita/Grugic/Harry Wilson/. (Shaq if Klopp doesnā€™t plan to play him often and he wants to move)
Klopp wanting to press ahead with the transfer, MBappe wanting to come and PSG open to a deal are the concerns. I donā€™t think funds are a constraint to sign him.

6 Likes

Nah, weā€™ll be alright. Weā€™ll have Mbappe as back-up!

2 Likes

Mbappe will the highest paid player in the world when he signs his next contract, probably by a significant amount.

We ainā€™t signing him.

6 Likes

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

2 Likes