The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Jan Molby…

3 Likes

Pretty unreliable!

6 Likes

I think the raw materials are there with Tielemans or Bissouma for Klopp to work with. Be happy with either at a decent price.

Would prefer Raphinha over either though. Very impressive every time I’ve seen him. Technique, passing, speed, work-rate :ok_hand:

That wasn’t puppy fat that was a pudding.
We do have Alisson and he’s excellent depite puppy fat.

1 Like

I note that Bissouma hasn’t played international football (for Mali) for nearly 3 years. Transfermarkt describes him as a “former Mali International”.

Anyone know what the deal is there? It would be helpful if he isn’t in line to be called up, for whatever reason.

7 Likes

I’m sure that would increase our chances of signing him somewhat!

The problem I have with signing Bissouma, is the Africa connection, we’ll lose him for up to 6 weeks every two years, for the Africa Cup of Nations, Add to that, we also lose Mane and Salah to the same competition, if they’re still here and that’s a hell of a blow to our season. (I’m not arsed about Keita).

1 Like

From what I can gather he just hasn’t been called upon, but is in the group to face Algeria. So his form at Brighton has put him back in contention.

Because he hasn’t been playing for us :rofl:

In all seriousness, Matip had retired from international football before joining us, yet his FA threatened us with sanctions via FIFA if we didn’t release him for their matches.

4 Likes

I agree, I wonder if signing him means we move on Keita as relying (very lose in Keita’s case) on both is a risk. Especially knowing Hendo’s a little bit injury prone.

1 Like

I think the AFCON issue is overblown. If we had 5 players from the same nation that was a shoo-in for the final then we’d have a problem. But we have them spread out over a number of teams and they cant all make the final. Salah missed 4 games for Roma the last time they played in the winter and his team made the final. And he would have missed only 3 PL games if he was in the PL at that time due to FA Cup weekend falling within that period.

I wouldn’t have any problems adding another African player.

4 Likes

How is that serious after I just indicated he is in the group of 35 to face Algeria, RD Congo and Tunisia?
He just fell off the map possibly because of injury and then lack of game time. He didn’t play that much for Brighton in the season 19/20 for example.

Its been extended since then and there’s rules about them needing to be with their national side for time before the competition etc. now. Its also not guaranteed how lucky we would be with how fixtures fall and even if there would still be any form of quarantine period after they return still.

5 Likes

I agree.

With it being in January, the games missed will be 3rd and 4th rounds of FA Cup, League Cup QF/S/F (I think it is normally the S/F in Jan but not 100% sure) and then the split round of the Premier which they brought in as the ‘mid-season break’. From memory I think that is all the games in Jan, so if we can navigate the season due to players missing cup games, then there is a major problem

2 Likes

My main concern for players on international duty is player welfare. The chances of them sustaining injury is far greater and is a much bigger issue simply than the number of league games that are played during an international tournament.

9 Likes

Even if Bissouma missed 5 really important games in January/February - which as you point out he wouldn’t - then that is why you have a squad and just mix things around for those matches. Maybe Milner starts or Jones for example.

You don’t not sign someone because of AFCON, it would be silly to when they are going to be just as available as the next guy for 40+ games a season.

3 Likes

The problem is a busy period is when you need your squad to be able rotate. When you lose several options during that period it puts extra stress on the remaining players in a way that risks the ongoing form, fitness and availability.

3 Likes

Agree, however the flip side of this is that the calibre of player Liverpool want will always be either a full international or a youngster that will likely be a full international down the track.

Matip being the anomaly I guess.

I’m all up for anyone coming that improves the squad, even if they miss a couple of weeks for some international tournament part way through the season. If the player is the right player for Liverpool, missing a handful of games isn’t the end of the world.

1 Like

BTW last time Salah played AFCON, before it was increased and different attendance rules, he may have only missed 4 Serie A games but this seasons same dates would have been at least 6/7 league games. But Roma didn’t play any games from around 22nd Dec under England fixtures he might have been away for a lot more than those dates.

1 Like

Yes, but the AFCON is the only tournament where there’s no gap in the domestic calendar and finishes after the winter transfer window closes. Any injuries sustained there are almost impossible to then cover just as we enter the business end of what is always a demanding season.

7 Likes