The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

If there’s no like for like replacement then naturally the system has to evolve. Maybe the thought is to change the shape of the midfield to something more reminiscent of a 4231 and bringing in an extra attacker is a bigger priority.

Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson, Keita and Milner as options for the deeper lying two. Jones, Firmino, Ox, Keita as the options for a more progressive midfielder + maybe one incoming signing who is versatile enough to play in a wide attacking position as well. That’s a decent set of options although obviously the collective injury record of those players is still a bit of a worry.

We must step outside the security of VVD, Gomez, and Matip. They all are coming out of a lengthy lay-off. We don’t know how much they can exert themselves during the games and how frequently they will be able to play.

Yes, the best possible scenario is tempting. But there should be allowances for less than best possible scenarios too.

2 Likes

I don’t understand a lot of the talk on here about our midfield.
Gini gone however we saw the replacement is Thiago who worked harder and became more efficient than Gini. With Fabs and Hendo fit we have Jones and Milner to help with their burden. For me it was evident that Klopp is looking to Ox to suppliment Thiago when needed. So that just leaves Keita as a possible out going (from the main squad) yet Klopp would work with him if necessary. I have no idea what plans we have for MiniMo however Klopp did use him deeper than a forward. Then we have Clarkson and others so I just can not see any movement in midfield this market unless Keita is sold. (Except some youngster or 2 to bolster youth ranks).
As for defense even if we get Konate in surely Ben Davies stays, yet rumors have it he’s going to Celtic? We can not make the same mistake as last season surely?
Looks like nothing moving with our attack as MiniMo and Ox can get extra minutes there.
Keeping Adrian and Kelleher seems logical at GK.
It’s going to be a long boring transfer market and under the circumstances I can not see anyone being surprised by that.
Then what do I know?

1 Like

Sorry but this makes zero sense. I’m sure the club knows all that information.

We stepped outside the security of our first choice defenders since Jan… It went to shit. I hope to god our intention is to return to that security… It brought us to being champions of world football.

Signing Konate seems to be a step towards consolidating that.

We go through this every year. Everyone currently wearing a red shirt, bar Trent and Curtis, at some point had a journalist dismissing their link to us.

By now we should have all got the hang of this. What journalists like Pearce, Reddy, Smith etc report is not necessarily what is happening. It’s what the club want everyone to believe is happening.

If Liverpool are looking at bringing in a replacement for Gini, say Bissouma or Neuhaus, and are negotiating with those clubs, then it suits Liverpool to put out the idea that they are are sound and aren’t that bothered about signing a midfielder after all.

Nobody ought to be getting upset because Pearce says we aren’t prioritising a midfielder.

5 Likes

Joyce is the only Liverpool journo who reports the facts and doesn’t bother with the puff pieces around them, usually full of opinion dressed up as fact (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). Reddy and Pearce also seem to write whatever the club want, whether it’s true or not.

Joyce is probably the only blue around who has anything useful to say about Liverpool.

5 Likes

We’re not though we have prioritorised CB (at last).
I get what you mean and what you said is true. We have become very good at controlling the narrative since Klopp came in.

Is McNulty also a blue? I’d put him in the same category as Joyce.

Glad he is reporting the Konaté deal too.

1 Like

Which is why he seems to get the jump n the others on confirming these deals. The club probably tell him first because they know he’ll only put a story on twitter when a deal is practically done.

He doesn’t seem to care about getting 50k likes on a speculation post.

5 Likes

I thought he was a Chelsea fan, I’m sure he writes some stuff for their official site.

So he is a blue then? :wink:

Nah, I thought he was an Evertonian?

3 Likes

And even then Joyce tends to only find out a day or two before it’s announced at most. Sometimes the actual day.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see where he lands… I suspect he is one whose departure is almost certain at this stage. I’ve always liked him as a player, but the moments he looked the player he consistently is for Switzerland in our uniform were too few and too far between.

1 Like

Completely agree with this. 100% agree and this is my biggest concern in MF. I don’t want to be dramatic about it but I don’t want to understate either. It’s a big concern.

In numbers, sure, looks like we have enough. But stylistically and demands we do not. Let’s be honest, I love them both but neither Hendo or Millie are particularly iron men at this stage of their careers.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s right. I think he knows about our interest from an early stage he’s just not concerned with writing about negotiations etc, he’s just interested in confirming when deals are agreed.

2 Likes

Hmm possible but I wouldn’t say likely. They, roughly, all seem to get briefed around the same time. Whilst the others put out stories of our interest or lack of interest (as per most beneficial way to help the clubs negotiations) he doesn’t really get involved AS much but still a little and it tends to go in line with what the others are saying when he does comment. But he does tend to wait till something is done. But I’ve not known him to say a deal is being worked on etc much more than 2 days before it’s announced.

what about Gianluigi Donnarumma? he is out of contract this summer and is damn young for a GK!

In FM yes, but he’s not going to any club to be 2nd choice

2 Likes

Just saw this on twitter.

Games missed through injury since the start of 18/19:

• Thiago: 34 games
• Henderson: 33 games
• Keita: 54 games
• Ox: 74 games
• Fabinho: 26 games
• Milner: 28 games
• Shaqiri: 41 games

We need new midfielders. Injury free and goal scoring ones.

6 Likes