The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Doesnt matter, we will create 200 chances for him then, he will score 20 goals.

But seriously, of course no one will know how he turns out, and I am no expert, but in double digits for the last few seasons, albeit in a weaker league, for a 22 year old, is not too bad a CV to springboard to a bigger club to develop into a better player.

1 Like

Remember people. Kuyt couldnā€™t stop scoring in Holland and while he gave his all and scored some very important goals. He was hardly prolific.

4 Likes

Also worth remembering that Salah wasnā€™t scoring many in Italy, yet became prolific when he came here. Stats donā€™t always translate. For me itā€™s all about whether the club (inc Klopp) see a player as the right fit.

2 Likes

yes, system and coaching is definitely as important as potential. None of our front 3 was as prolific before they came here. In fact, nobody would have been sure all 3 of them would become world class and win everything coming to Liverpool, but here they are and alot of credit goes to the system and our coaches. So if anyone is deemed good enough to come here, more often than not, they will succeed.

2 Likes

1 in 10 seems prolific to me after our last season, are you sure your numbers are correct? :wink:

4 Likes

But those were very good numbers in Italy (more difficult to hit big numbers there), think it was a big reason why we went for him in the first place. We believed there was potential for more if he played in a more competitive/active team like ours. Back to the point, yeah, we had a real mix of examples from the Dutch league.

4 Likes

He will be in over his head when he comes to Liverpool, like Depay was at United. Newcastle could be a good starting point for him.

This is key. If the club decide he has the potential and bring him in Iā€™m not questioning it.

Ofcourse thereā€™s a risk he turns out shit, but thatā€™s the risk with any player.

1 Like

And to at, when Kuyt played in the Dutch league the league was not as weak as it is today. What Kuyt missed in football ability he made up with a terrific mentality and willpower, never gave up kept on going to the last minute.

There you have it, I said something positive about Dirk Kuyt! :sunglasses:

Btw, De Boer said yesterday that Malen can not play 90 minutes only 60, that should tell you something.

Previously fit players developing injuries is not a rationale for signing someone with known problems.

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Dutch is that you! Are you OK mate?

2 Likes

Kezman was the same - had a record like 105 in 120 games in Holland and was wank over here scoring 7 in 41.
After he left PSV he was never prolific again.

2 Likes
1 Like

Whist Suarez came from Ajax with a scoring record (league only) of 81 goals in 110 games, and he replicated it in England, and then over in Spain too.

I guess some can do it in other leagues, and some canā€™t.

4 Likes

When you say some, as far as matching the goal scoring rate, isnā€™t it only Suarez who came close? Keep in mind he did significantly better in Holland than England too. 179 goals and assists in 159 games for Ajax, 129 goals and assists in 133 with us. And we played him at CF more than them didnā€™t we? They played him on the left? His last full season there he had 35 goals and 17 assists in 33 games. His first full season here he had 11 goals and 6 assists in 31 games. He took a settling in period and some tactical tinkering to get him up close to his Holland numbers.

2 Likes

Not for us but there was Van Nistlerooy.

1 Like

Even that was 20 years ago. Not a lot of success stories when it comes to attackers replicating their Eredivisie numbers over here.

Exactly. Iā€™d like to add that heā€™s injury prone. Likeā€¦a lotā€¦

5 Likes

I didnā€™t get the microscope out to analyse the details mate - I was just building on the Kezman point when looking at the high level stats.

Plenty of other successful Dutch strikers, but Iā€™ve not looked at stats - Ruud and RVP spring to mind as two that won PL titiles.

2 Likes

Liverpool for Portoā€™s Otavio. Havenā€™t watched a lot of Porto and the matches that i did watch , he didnā€™t strike me as a player whoā€™s upto the task at liverpool.

Hope itā€™s just a smokescreen.

2 Likes