The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I think the argument is the league has downgraded in quality since even the days of Kuyt and Babel. Since then only really Suarez has been a success and that wasn’t exactly recent anymore. Think someone would have to be putting insane numbers up in Holland to stand a chance of being a success with an immediate impact in English football.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with the point that the quality of the league may have fallen.

But if we know that, clearly the club do, and they will look at the attributes of the players they’re considering, taking into account the quality of the league that they are playing in. They aren’t daft enough to go “oh look, goals to game ratio is banging, sign him up”.

My overall point is that every single player needs to be judged on his merits, and we have some of the best guys in our scouting department to do that. Therefore, if they decide to go spend money on a striker that’s currently plying his trade over in Holland, I will not get upset because the league is of poor quality - instead I will be excited at the potential that Klopp will be taking another player that’s “not bad” and coach them to world class levels, as he achieved with so many in our team over his few years here.

As for instant impact - I wouldn’t expect that from anyone we sign - even if we signed Mbappe I would accept an adjustment period from him where he might look dogshit.

2 Likes

In the past I would be concerned but I trust our club to get it right.

Would be our usual way of doing business though I think there is a couple of players like this such as Neuhaus.

1 Like

This is all that matters at the end of the day and it’s what the recruitment team will be looking at.

Any player joining will be coming into a new system and will be surrounded by different players. Those from abroad will be coming into a different league and country. Their performance and output is therefore not directly transferable.

Just look at Isak. Failed to make it in Germany, thrived in Holland, average in his first season in Spain but did great the second season. Does that mean he is or isn’t a good option for us? Torres did great for us but Morata flopped at Chelsea so does that mean strikers from Spain are good or bad?

4 Likes

I liked the look of caleta carr. He would have been a decent hire for liverpool 4 years ago. Just not sure he would hack it now.

Think people are being too tough on morata. Myself included. For a flop striker , he sure does get himself into goal scoring positions though.

He does quite a lot of things right except the main one of actually keeping the ball in the net

1 Like

The average goal to shots conversion rate over the big pro leagues - La Liga, PL, Bundesliga, Seria A, and Ligue 1 is around 15%. So 10% would be below average, 15% would be average, and 20% and above would be prolific/elite.

Also according to the chart, when you count only shots on target you’d expect about a 30% average conversion rate.

As expected Mo Salah showed an elite conversion rate of 45% when counting how many goals he scored compared to on target shots.

1 Like

So what was our conversion rate last season? Not to you by your reply or are you agreeing with me?

Well you’ve got to hand it to Mbappe. Had an absolute stinker of a tournament to help Michael Edwards knock a few quid off the transfer fee.

17 Likes

Straight swap for Origi.

Sorted.

3 Likes

According to stats, our team conversion rate was comparable to the league average at 15.6%.

And our conversion of shots on target rate was 31.7% as a team.

Obviously Mo Salah’s personal rate from shots on target at 45% shows why he was the runner up to the Golden Boot and an elite player in the PL.

1 Like

It didn’t seem like it, we seemed to create a mass of chances and didn’t convert. This is the problem with stats they seem to count something different from what we observe. :rofl:

I can’t remember us getting shots on target. Look at the difference between goals scored last season and the season before, yet we had the same amount of shots!

2 Likes

The only thing that can make Mbappe feel better now?

A Klopp hug.

7 Likes

Never heard of this guy until the other day. Anybody seen him play regularly? What’s the verdict?

1 Like

I assume his agent is trying to get him a better deal. But the based on a healthy dose of cynicism along with the fact I’ve never heard of him before.

1 Like

Otavio sounds like an Xmen name, must be good

3 Likes

Was going to ask the same thing. I have never heard of Otavio before today. He may well be a talent, but I’ve literally never heard his name mentioned even in cursory conversation.

1 Like

I thought he sounded Shakespearean.
‘Otavio, Otavio.
Score four won’t thou though?’

14 Likes

Thought he played a role in I, Claudius.

2 Likes

Watching the YouTube footage (yes I know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) he loves playing the ball forward.

2 Likes