The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I̶t̶’̶s̶ He’s coming home.

I remember Glenn Roeder going absolutely mental on MOTD after we beat them and Diou in I think his first game put in a really good performance (probably one of the few he had). Apparently he had been trying to sign him. I think he felt that they only failed to get Diou because the board didn’t agree to pay the £5m he would cost. I don’t know if that would have made a difference but fun to watch all the same - particularly when looking back at the rest of Diou’s career here.

1 Like

Diao or Diouf?

3 Likes

Thanks. Diao, I couldn’t remember how to spell his name.

1 Like

I, for one, will be thrilled if Sanches signs. He is a beast in the middle of the park. If he can stay fit- and perhaps that is a big “if” and a reason not to buy him- I think he will be a great Liverpool player. He has all the tools.

I quite liked the look of Diao when he first arrived. Bit of the Alex Song about him. Then went nowhere. Pity.

Never liked Diouf.

3 Likes

Diouf always struck me as one of the worst characters we have ever signed. I loathed him! Of course never met him that was how I felt.

I have never really not liked someone who plays for us before. I have not warmed to a few - David Speedie was one.

Anyone else dislike or not warm to our players?

1 Like

I remember when signed Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou instead of spending the 18m on Damien duff we bought these 3 flops.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s an odd one, because it’s just a fact. I think the whole myth of mediocre players earning themselves big contracts after a world cup is so strong that for some it can warp the space time continuum so that the order of dates on a calendar are rearranged.

3 Likes

I never warmed to Jan Kromkamp, not sure why, just one player that I never particularly warmed too.

1 Like

We let anelka walk out to sign Diouf, that’s how I remember it.

7 Likes

Was it was an either or situation? I didn’t think we were in a realistic position to compete with Chelsea for Duff’s signing were we?

18m was a dizzying amount of money back then.

3 Likes

trying to get back on track…

We’ve been linked with Insigne now!

Very much a case of us being linked to drive interest. Never happening. Love the player though!

2 Likes

After that win over France Diouf looked like a world beater and I was caught up in the hype.

By September I was losing faith, and when he started spitting I gave up.

2 Likes

Like me, were you considering dyeing your hair blonde?! I think my mum vetoed it!

2 Likes

The only thing I remembered that match is that in Singapore, it was a 1-800 bet for Senegal to beat France 1-0. I know of an uncle who bet $100 on his payday out of fun. Guess it was more than fun.

Ok back to rumours!

3 Likes

It wasn’t Tan Seet Eng (Dan Tan) was it?! :wink:

Diouf for sure

There is a few that i neither like nor dislike Konchesky for example few others in that era too

Few that i found frustrating Barros for one so good internationally but not for us Kewell & Aurelio for their never ending injuries. Sturridge and Keita more recently but only because they are all such talents.

Balotelli i disliked from long before we wasted 18 mil on him.

1 Like

Konchesky yes! Forgot him.

1 Like