The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Origi is worth more than £10M, but we need to sell, make space, and think about a new forward option. I suspect Edwards will negotiate more, say £12M + 4 in options, OR a straight £10M with a 20% sell on fee.

There’s a chance Origi might become a regular goal scorer if he starts regularly, at which point he could become a £50M player, and so a healthy sell on clause is just the sort of future payday Mikey laptop specializes in.

3 Likes

He hasn’t died…

Is the thing his agent released fit and proper behaviour?

He’s played one brilliant game of football in his entire time here and then for some reason he has spent 3 years mostly on the medical bench after which he then (or as his agent seemed to suggest) thought he should return to the first team.

I remember two very good performances in three years. We can’t be carrying players who don’t play regardless who they are.

So less of the bullshit…

6 Likes

But we still negotiate the best price not accept the first offer at half the asking price.

For me, Origi is a tricky one to call.

On one hand I see the University scholarship system he set up as a sign he’s integrating in the community. He may not regularly play but I’m sure his heroics and iconic moments over the years is not forgotten about by players and staff alike, even if we as fans are quick to forget.

But on the other hand, I see him not being in the match day squad for a chunk of the end of the season as him really being a fringe player. It’s a fact that with Jota here, game time is limited as he’s going to be second choice forward sub which doesn’t happen too often here. We saw that with very limited game time (1 game of 80+ mins in the league).

I’m not 100% sure the club would actively push him out the door. Origi himself would need to be the one pursuing the move.

Is everyone happy to sell? If you were told now by the club that he was ‘surplus to requirements’ and therefore we didn’t have plans to reinvest in another forward, would you all still want to sell?

2 Likes

What’s this in relation to mate? Must’ve missed this.

Nobody said he had.

Is he his agent?

All I mean is that as things stand he’s performing well in preseason and looking like there’s no rumours of his leaving. Either because there is no interest or we’ve decided to use him for next year.

Either way, I personally don’t think it’s bullshit to support our own players.

2 Likes

The best price is the maximum someone will give us in time for us to do something useful with it.

We did this with Grujic and Wilson last summer, sent both out on loan again for a few quid and then sold them for much less than we were asking for. How did that benefit us exactly?

We know no one is paying £20m for him, especially in this market. It’s just some public posturing in the hope that we get what, another couple million maybe but comes at the risk of him still being here next year or being sent out on loan.

6 Likes

It’s Bournemouth…
and given our history of transfer deals with them

Edwards will probably get a deal where they will pay us to take him.

Don’t forget the players loaned out bring in a loan fee also, I would want at least 14 m for Origi, whatever fee they want to pay up front and add ons.

I seem to remember Origi playing very well up to the point he was butchered at Everton. Buggered his ankle and never really recovered. Did score a late winner against them next season though. I think the PL is a bit to in your face and fast for him.

1 Like

Yes because otherwise we lose him for nothing next season. Having Origi as an extra in the squad for next season is not worth over £10m. And that freed up money and wages might help a new midfielder who actually helps improve us on the pitch arrive or secure Salah to a longer term deal etc. it doesn’t just have to be replacing him with a better attacking option Klopp wants to use (which is the ideal). The reason Klopp doesn’t make many attacking subs is he doesn’t have good enough options for him to want to use. But I think all of Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi need to be sold or loaned for a new attacker to come in. We are two over with Elliott now involved.

And how do you know that? In 2019-20, Origi made 28 league appearances, with 703 minutes in total. Minamino, despite having joined just before lockdown, in the middle of the season, made 10 league appearances totalling 242 minutes. I grant you Shaqiri, but if I recall correctly he was injured for much of that season.

You seem to confuse your personal distaste for them, with what the management team actually does.

2 Likes

Those players could have played so much more. How many times did Mane and Firmino need a rest because they weren’t playing well but couldn’t have it because Jota was injured or only one could have it? How often did all our attacking players see out the game instead of getting taken off towards the end of the game to be fresh for the next one? You’re using the evidence of how little our back up attackers were used as evidence they aren’t needed I’m using the same evidence as the justification as to why they need to be better. Guess we won’t agree.

And it’s not personal distaste Shaqiri would actually be one of my favourite players from a personal point of view, really wanted Minamino to be awesome and Origi is a great lad. But from a point of view of what they offer on the pitch we need better. They’d all be fine if we were still challenging for Champions League places. But we are looking to win multiple major trophies next. That’s the next aim.

I think he’s a player who somehow just looks terrible all the time and yet is rather effective. He’ll look nowhere close to scoring, and completely out of the game, and then knock in a goal or put in an assist. He’s maintained a remarkably consistent record of doing so consistently at least once in every 180 minutes he gets (it’s more often a better rate). The only time he hasn’t done that in a season was last season, when he only got 181 minutes.

I think he’s a player who the club value at a particular price, that is obviously higher than most fans actually do value him. I also think that he’s consistently shown that he wants to be a part of this club. I don’t think he’s lazy or disruptive (or he would have been Sakho-ed). He has obvious deficiencies to his game, but he has shown the ability to work on some of them before, but he’ll always be limited, mainly due to his physical profile.

1 Like

Sakho had a club willing to pay the price we valued him at. Origi hasn’t been kept because we wanted to.

1 Like

And for those who want to read on, there’s the Shaqiri and Origi threads for a bit of light background reading. I’m not going to bother rehashing the arguments, and more crucially, the evidence that the likes of you want to ignore.

Except 2 of the 3 have already helped us win multiple major trophies. Or was I hallucinating their role in those seasons?

You have absolutely no credibility whatsoever in your arguments, considering you just said

Despite you complaining that

You think it’ll be negligent if we don’t get another forward in, but you’re happy to let one leave without replacement? Obviously this hinges on your supposition that

And the logic is therefore, Minamino, Origi, and Shaqiri are not good enough. Except he did use them, in precisely the scenario you described, in the preceding two seasons when we did in fact win multiple major trophies. The front 3 haven’t had much change in their minutes either, just a matter of Jota taking the minutes that Origi and Shaqiri had in the previous two seasons.

1 Like

The last sentence is strange. He just left training with nothing lined up?

Also shows that we’re willing to play long game, we rejected loan with option to buy because we want loan to boost value. Instead of making 3 or 4 mil, we want more.

1 Like

Think he was given a break for personal reasons, wedding or something.

4 Likes

Yeah I remember when it was first mentioned, it was specifically stressed that it was for personal reasons rather than transfer-related. I would hazard a guess that either we’re keeping Phillips, or Kabak might be coming back, if we’re willing to let Davies go. Certainly, he’s not had the luckiest of starts to his Liverpool career…

1 Like

Not necessarily. Club may not want to give an option to buy but rather wants a commitment that can’t be backed out of. It appears that many of the clubs that may be interested in signing him are being hit by financial pressures of FFP, so like the Wilson deal we are most likely looking to get a deal in place guaranteeing us a sale next season.

1 Like