The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Would be a pure contradiction to what Klopp said about our midfield opportunities only a week ago.

Call me very surprised if that would happen.

But Klopp always refers to Shaqiri as a midfielder so it would be one out one in. Sometimes opportunities come along and you’ve just got to be willing to take advantage of them.

1 Like

Yeah if he’s a player we have on our list of potential targets, and the opportunity comes, I definitely wouldn’t rule it out.

Thiago was an unexpected opportunity they couldn’t turn down, so if they have Camavinga in the same category I could see us go for it.

I know absolutely nothing about this player though, only looked at some numbers and read a little about him, so I’ve no idea how he would fit in.

2 Likes

Saw an live interview with Klopp in German TV yesterday where he said ‘people telling us to sign another midfielder but if we’d signed a midfielder there would be no chance to play Harvey yesterday’

7 Likes

I’ve felt for a while, since Elliott’s breakout performances in preseason really, that if we add anyone else before the deadline it will likely be a youngish forward in the mould of eg Sarr.

And even on that front it’s gone deathly quiet.

Everything seems to point to Klopp being satisfied that a combination of Keita, Jones, Elliott and Ox can replace Gini this season and provide competition for Thiago and Hendo. Milner is still there too.

4 Likes

Not sure I agree with that it’s far too simple a statement. It would have completely depended on the type of CM, when they came in, how fit and integrated into the squad and, depending on all that, it could have been Henderson or Keita missing out as Hendo was less ready than Harvey and Keita had already played. And even if that was the case that doesn’t mean Elliott doesn’t end up getting a chance at all even if it hadn’t been that game. Kid was always going to play at some point after being so impressive in training and pre season. Personally don’t see how a DM/defensive 8 like Camavinga impacts that much on Elliott who can play an offensive 8, number 10 or winger role.

Next time I speak Klopp I will tell him that @AnfieldRdDreamer thinks that his statement is far too simple … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I don’t think there are many who will argue that our normal and best midfield 3 is Hendo, Fab, Thiago
With Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones and Elliot rotated

I just don’t see us getting another midfielder and I honestly don’t think we need one.

What will be interesting is who gets more minutes - Jones or Elliot.

4 Likes

@AnfieldRdDreamer Could be he’s talking bigger picture, more generally about the number of players. In the sense that if they bring another midfielder, the opportunities for Elliott won’t be there to the same degree.

Fits with what he has said in different interviews the last few weeks. The message has been consistent.

1 Like

Which is why I said that as he’s always listed Shaqiri when talking midfielders there is an opening to describe it as one out one in when a fantastic, unexpected, opportunity came along. But probably won’t happen.

2 Likes

Smoke and mirrors. Tactics. Keeping cards close to your chest.

Everything said by Klopp on transfers is likely to have been discussed prior to pressers (in-house) to ensure the right noises are coming out of the club, without disrupting and causes chaos in the media and messing up plans.

2 Likes

I think, given the composition of the squad, anyone we sign now won’t be over the age of 22. That rules Saul out.

Whether an attacker or midfielder I can only see us going for someone young with further room to develop who can be eased in gradually with minutes here and there.

Importantly, they won’t occupy positions that would compete with Jones or Elliott (so no Smith-Rowe types, for example). I’ll think they’ll be of a more DM/CM (hence Camavinga or Neuhaus etc) or in attack I’d expect someone comfortable at playing through the middle who can also play out wide (someone like Neto or maybe Sarr).

[Haha, just realised that Neuhaus is 24 and Sarr is 23 so probably no to Neuhaus at least. Sarr may still be in with a shot.]

10 Likes

Have those 3 ever started together?
Thought Thiago was awful when he came on Sat.

3 Likes

Yes against Everton last season and were bossing the bitters. Then our season ended.

3 Likes

Maybe the Everton game? Not after that though, I think their injuries overlapped.

But I’d be a bit surprised if they’re not our big game starters this season.

1 Like

I’m willing to give him a pass for a few games while he gets back up to speed

5 Likes

He’s hardly gonna say “yeah we’re in the market for a midfielder ASAP”

Klopp likes to rotate midfield more than any other position. Especially needed for young players who tend to be inconsistent. I think Camivinga, Elliott and Jones would get plenty of games

4 Likes

I honestly don’t get why anyone would be advocating signing any sort of midfielder bar a no.6 type… In Jones and Elliot we have two huge talents that need to be given the gametime. Camavinga might well go on to become a superstar but with the wages he wants it’s a no for me.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s all about Doku

We’ll just have to settle for Bellingham then. :wink:

8 Likes