The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

It’s a rumour. It isn’t supposed to make sense.

3 Likes

For me yes, he’d provide great depth, can improve and is English…

Bowen and Bellingham is a dam fine summer next year.

1 Like

if hes still worth 20 mil on Jan 1 then hes leveled off and we wouldnt want him.

i havent seen him play so im just speculating here…

a premier league player bang on form for half a season…aint going for 20.

4 Likes

But Gordon and Elliot will be a year older next summer and are also English?

2 Likes

Gordon has played one game. Bowen and Bellingham have established themselves as first team regulars. There is a difference.

3 Likes

I’m one of those who believe that Bowen isn’t good enough for us. Leaving that aside, West Ham aren’t exactly skint, so they would demand a pretty penny for him; there’s no way they’d sell him for the reported twenty million.

Are we really going to spend forty million plus on a backup player (let’s face it- he isn’t starting ahead of Salah, Mané, Firmino or Jota anytime soon) when we have so many promising youngsters coming through?

Just can’t see it happening unless one of the aforementioned quartet leaves.

7 Likes

I agree, but the rumours aren’t going away.

1 Like

To be fair, if Gordon was playing for Dortmund he’d be in the first team as well.

I think it’s a good point @redfanman raises. I reckon Klopp wants to get Gordon as many minutes as possible.

No point in us signing the best young players if they don’t play. After a few months at the club and still being only 16 he’s already training and playing with the first team. They obviously rate him extremely highly.

4 Likes

Sure, and that’s all fine, but I don’t see why his development would be impeded by the addition of other players. Bowen is eight years older than Gordon. We need multiple talents coming through as they don’t all make it as we know only too well from experience.

1 Like

There’d be fewer minutes available.

The same arguement could have been made for signing another player to cover instead of Trent. Some players are worth taking the risk. Trent was. I’d argue Gordon is too.

I don’t think I’ve seen a Gordon level talent not make it at Liverpool. The three that come to mind are Sterling, Trent and Jones. The next level down - Wilson, Kent, Suso, Ibe, Woodburn - none of those were as impressive as Gordon has been in his short time here.

I like Bowen and think he’d be a good addition but I can more than see the argument for Gordon as well. It also encourages the other best young talents in the country to come here as well if they see these players getting their chance.

2 Likes

wow. big praise there.

1 Like

Really hope you’re right about Gordon, but ,as I pointed out, Bowen is 8 years older. Where’s the conflict? And surely no one is going to turn down Bellingham in the unlikely event we have a chance.

It’s fair comment.

Liverpool had an excellent u18 side last year - Balagizi, Stewart, Musialowski all looked very good at that level. Gordon came in and was instantly head and shoulders above our best players. Promoted to u23 level and looks one of the best players there too despite being the youngest.

I’d also say Gordon is quite a lot more influential than Harvey Elliot was for youth sides.

6 Likes

I agree Gordon is more influential for the 23s than Elliott was although I would add the caveat that Elliott joined an U23 side which Jones had already established “his” team so he wasn’t the main man. Gordon doesn’t really have much competition in our current 23s.

3 Likes

His underlying stats are good and he is English but I would want a better player than that to come in and challenge to be a starter.

4 Likes

Regarding Bowen, what if one of the front three are leaving?

Then you would hopefully want someone better than Bowen to replace them.

Unless it’s Bobby and Jota replaces him and Bowen is a Jota replacement.

2 Likes

@ILLOK has nailed my thinking on this. It’s both the potential/current ability of the two players plus the selling of the club to prospective talents like pre-Dortmund Bellingham. I suspect this has probably kicked up a gear following the difficulties the club have faced in the transfer market the last couple of years and the prospect of having our current first choice line up age together in the same team.

The club have been making positive noises about Gordon since Shaqiri left. Any possible move for Bowen would probably be next summer, (Gordon will be turning 18 in October 22) and cost a significant chunk of money (£30m+?) when we may have other priorities. With Elliot already settled in the squad and proving good enough for first team games, it lifts some of the pressure off of Gordon if we need to play someone other than Salah on the right (without moving Mane from the left). Given Salah wants to play every game and is rarely injured, giving Gordon those minutes on the right when Salah is rested makes sense to me. We’ve seen how quickly Trent, Curtis and Elliot have taken their chances when given time in the first team. The club clearly think Gordon is good enough to do the same.

5 Likes

I 100% see Elliot as a midfielder, the impact he’s made playing there is far greater than I think he would achieved as a foward. He dovetails brilliantly with Salah/Trent.

My personal view is Mane or Bobby will leave next summer, probably would have happened the summer past if covid hadn’t of happened. The front line needs freshening up beyond Jota, and based on the fact only Salah has continued to contribute at elite levels consistently I’d think it’s the other two most at risk of being the exit to fund the refresh.

This means there is room for Bowen and Gordon (who I agree looks another special talent) in our front line.

Toney is another option, he impressed me much more than I thought. Agree fully that he looks to have a better all round game than Watkins, Abraham etc.

My view is next summer we bring in a forward in the 23-25 age bracket (think our no.1 target was Barnes before he got injured and then renewed), lose one of Bobby/Mane and Gordon is promoted full time. Obviously a lot hangs on Salah renewing…

A perfect (realistic) summer in the forward line would be to sell Taki and Origi as well, bringing in both Toney and Bowen.

Salah (29), Jota (24), Mane (29) or Firmino (29), Toney (25), Bowen (24), Gordon(16) would be fantastic.

Other noteable options instead of Bowen - Sarr (23) and Saint-Maximin (24), who appear to have stepped up a few levels this season.

2 Likes

so i had a bit of a look at gordon on the web…

great left foot…dont know about his right…doesnt seem to use it…and that could be limiting…

i understand alot of young players need to round there game off, but it struck me the amount of times he refused to use his right foot…has that progressed?

1 Like