The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Where have you been? :grinning:

1 Like

Heā€™s spreading that because heā€™s in denial about us getting Raphinha in the summer :wink:

5 Likes

Raphinha or Bowen to replace Origi and Taki would be lovely.

2 Likes

Top quality rumour that.

1 Like

I donā€™t think we can afford to keep all of them into their mid 30ā€™s on lucrative contracts tbh. They are a long way from finished, donā€™t get me wrong, but the signs of not being quite up there in level are already showing. I think we need a freshen up, personally.

8 Likes

Jonathan David, eh.

1 Like

What signs are they? I havenā€™t looked at the stats or studied the games, so that might very well be the case, but I think for a lot of people the reaction is little more than a knee jerk. He has never been a prolific scorer for us but was looking as if he was picking up more goals this season before his injury.

For me, the bigger issue has been the stability of the midfield as weā€™ve rarely been able to put out a consistent line up.

1 Like

Paulo Dybala is out of contract in the summer I believe. Iā€™ve always liked him. Could easily connect midfield and attack. Massive upgrade on Origi.

To be honest itā€™s by watching them week in week out and they are not the same imho. As we know, though, the eye test is not always the best barometer and I am quite willing to concede that. I will do some searching and come up with a few metrics for games played, minutes played, goals, assists and minutes per goal contribution. Canā€™t do it right now Iā€™m afraid so if I get some time will do so tomorrow and see if the stats are bearing out what the eye is seeing.

I am quite sure that Bobbyā€™s stats, in particular, will see a steady decline from 19/20 onwards. The commentator today mentioned something particularly pertinent today; heā€™s only scored once at Anfield in his last 21 games. I know weā€™re looking at what he brings beyond goals but I mean, thatā€™s pretty poor.

2 Likes

I think they have too but isnā€™t part of that due to having a particularly good year? His record before then did seem all that amazing either?

2 Likes

A quick look shows

1. 11 goals and 11 assists in 15/16
  2. 12 goals and 12 assists in 16/17
  3. 27 goals and 17 assists in 17/18
  4. 16 goals and 8 assists in 18/19
  5. 12 goals and 13 assists in 19/20
  6. 9 goals and 9 assists in 20/21
  7. 7 goals and 4 assists thus far this seaaon

So you may very well be right, 17/18 is the obvious high butā€¦ I donā€™t know, on those it looks like a peak between 17/18 to 19/20. The last 18 months especially, has been poor by the standards set previously and I am not sure he can get back to that. I honestly think heā€™s peaked for us and wonā€™t get back to that level. Iā€™d be more than happy to be proven wrong, of course.

The Club has some hard choices to make in the next 6 months I feel, especially with Salah looking for a renewal. Keeping the 3 and renewing all of them isnā€™t the way to go imho; we will not be able to recoup on them in transfer fees to reinvest in the summers of 23 onwards and will face a major rebuild possibly under a new manager in '24. Iā€™d be looking to offload Bobby and Mane now, bumper contract to Salah to keep guaranteed goals in the team for the next 2-3 years and ā€˜rebuildā€™ an attack around Salah, Jota, A N Other and Elliot while Klopp is still around.

4 Likes

For me even if the signs are not all there yet, doesnā€™t mean they arenā€™t going to be. The Salah-Bobby-ManĆ© Triptych has brought me so much joy and weā€™ll be lucky as fans if we get to see an attacking unit both so talented and likable playing for us in the future.

But it canā€™t continue forever. Itā€™s going to slow down, pick up more injuries more regularly.

We rightly criticised Ferguson for leaving an aging unbalanced team behind, and many point to that as a huge contributory factor for their rapid downfall. How many times have we pointed the finger at JosƩ for doing the same thing.

I donā€™t want to see it happen to us, and Iā€™m sure moves for the likes of Jota and Konate are early steps in avoiding that, and hopefully after this summer weā€™ll be a couple of new players further away from that point.

4 Likes

I think the squad does need a bit of a refresh, 3 or 4 22-25 year olds ready to take the next step up rather than established superstars or teenagers.

But in regards to Firmino, I wouldnā€™t say his recent performances suggest a downturn. He was crap for a period last season, but he ended it strongly and personally I think heā€™s looked really good this year despite getting pushed out by Jota and injuries.

Sure, if we got a big offer for him (say 60 million+) itā€™d be worth taking and refreshing with a younger player. But for 25-30 million? I donā€™t see the point in that. Heā€™s going to remain a good player for a few years yet. The level heā€™s playing at this season is still a cut above a lot of the names from Germany or Italy I see us linked with.

8 Likes

I donā€™t really agree with this line of argument.

The criticism of Fergie though was in part because he was adding ageing players to their squad. Much of our squad is not really all that old. As you point out, we are adding talented younger players behind the starting 11 that could be the long term replacements for them.

Thinking specifically about our front 3, we already have Jota on board. Upgrading Minamino and Origi (with one or two signings) may allow us to counter any issues form Mane, Firmino or Salah declining.

3 Likes

Not really, Van Persie was the only one that could fit that category and he was still under 30.

Edit; The problem was he left aging, declining players in important roles they werenā€™t really able to be effective in anymore. So adding Van Persie instead of a new young star striker just felt like the straw that broke the cammels back.

Fair enough. My memory is failing me. They bought or promoted from the youth set up a lot of players that werenā€™t good enough, and kept their spine much longer than they should have. In Rooney and Van Persie, they had at least 2 players aged under 30 whose condition was probably more like 30+ aged players.

I still donā€™t think it is all that comparable here, as we have a squad that is already better balanced than Fergieā€™s last couple.

1 Like

His chest is inadequate.

1 Like

I donā€™t think there is anything to panic about with the squad, but we need to do some business this summer and cash in some of these frugal windows.

Iā€™d like to see two boss midfielders and an attacker. If we can move on Taki, Ox, Keita and Origi, and supplement the squad with further development of Morton and Gordon, I think we are nicely set up

5 Likes

Agree on that principle of freshening up definitely, that is the responsible thing to do. But of course there are 2 ways I see this can be done. Its either we move say Firmino and Mane on and use what we saved on them to get ready made replacements (although nobody can guarantee anything about ready made replacements) but of course the chances are high if scouting is done properly. The other way which is attractive too is to spend big money renewing Fimino and Maneā€™s contracts for another 3 years (and somehow I think Mane and Firmino will not ask for as much that kind of increase that Salah wants - which I think Salah deserves to be the best paid ever player in our history - I just feel they will not), and then to spend abit lesser on emerging talents and build them up in 2-3 years time to replace these players, and the timeline will fall just nice for Klopp in 2024 if he decides to leave then.

1 Like

Swiss Ramble has just posted the analysis of Man Cityā€™s financial accounts. Iā€™m not dismissing other rival clubs as they will surely get stronger but that is ominous reading. Basically, Man City have posted a profit and can continue spending big and our club is expected to make losses alongside all the other clubs in the league. How to counter that, I honestly donā€™t know.

You feel that the team need a combination of 2018 windows of sorts but I donā€™t think thatā€™s viable, no one will pay big money for clubā€™s unwanted players anymore. There are fair few Iā€™d like to see moved on but you know how much Klopp valueā€™s the team spirit. However, there are too many first team players who will have only one year left on their contracts in the summer. Iā€™d definitely keep Mane and Salah, while selling Firmino, Origi (who might leave on a free if Sky Sports are to be believed) and at least one of AOC and Keita, with the other possibly getting a new contract to preserve his value. Iā€™d keep Minamino for another year, if Iā€™m honest, I doubt his value will rise or plummet either way and he can be useful in domestic cups at least.

Aside from a proper midfield and attack reinforcements (I know the side needs them, I just donā€™t know which type), Iā€™m pinning my hopes on Jones and Elliott finding consistency and becoming proper options for the first eleven in the future. I really think itā€™s too early for Morton but Gordon could be a good one, I think.

1 Like