The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

2 Likes

We have 3 leaving on a free (Karius, Milner and Origi) which will free up space on wage bill, and places in the squad itself. If Neco moves on and is replaced internally, that will provide some cash to spend, as will Phillips going, that can go towards midfield or forwards.

Other spending will presumably depend on whether other players wish to leave.

I agree but the lucrative point is the most important and just because we sign a player to a new contract doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t sell them later, it actually protects the value better.

Bobby is the one that divides my opinion almost daily, he is one of my favourite players from the last 10 years without a shadow of a doubt. Iā€™d love him to stay but as a rotational option and is that good enough for him? Maybe not.

2 Likes

We have the option of a extra year with Origi and Iā€™m sure the club will activate it.

I dont think we will. Klopp has spoken publically about Origi needing a manager who can give him more game time.

Iā€™m not sure given the need to rebuild/ pay more for renewals, the club see him as offering value for money any more, particularly if a club isnā€™t willing to buy him.

2 Likes

I think that in the hour of need, once again Origi is not available. Iā€™m guessing but Iā€™d be fucking fuming if I were Klopp.

2 Likes

Itā€™s referenced to as performance option in the only places Iā€™ve seen it mentioned to exist and I donā€™t see how something described that way could have been triggered.

Bobbyā€™s on pace to score 12-14 and assist 6-8

I wish someone told me why I continually overlook Phillips and Neco. Thatā€™s anywhere between 20 and 30 million pounds in combined transfer fees. Itā€™s a shame that Origi will likely be another player who will leave on a free (I see that @RedOpium mentions the extension option but I think that James Pearce or someone like him suggested that it could only be activated in case certain criteria were met).

I think that club will make one major sale this summer - I hope itā€™s not Salah. I think it will be Firmino and one midfielder. I love Alcantara to bits, I think Iā€™d be willing to die for him if I was his teammate, but for all his astounding quality, he just isnā€™t physically reliable and same goes for Keita, while AOC seems like a poor fit nowadays, his disastrous injury record notwithstanding. That said, Keita and AOC are much more likely to depart.

4 Likes

He looks pretty impressive. He is not as young as Elliot, but at 19, he is showing very good level in the Championship, has good qualities, confident, and fast and not afraid to take on players and has very good pace.

1 Like

I hope they never sell Bobbyā€¦
When would we ever get to sing our spine tingling renditions ofā€¦
Si Senorā€¦
Worth keeping him just to sing it no matter how crap he becomes :0)

I donā€™t think we will. Even though we will miss out on a transfer fee I think freeing up the wages will be important for bringing in any new players.

1 Like

If only we had another Iberian goal machine with a two syllable surname.

1 Like

Is Aspas available?

1 Like

Si Senor
Do a dodgy corner they will scoreā€¦

2 Likes

He needs 3 though? Jotato?

Spoiler the names are Lang, Bowen and Thuram. Also at the bottom;

In the summer of 2020, Liverpool had a three-man shortlist when they sought a new attacker.

They pursued a deal for Jota after being put off by Watfordā€™s valuation of Ismaila Sarr, Jonathan David, who moved to Lille from Gent of Belgium in that window and helped the French club beat Paris Saint-Germain to the title in his debut season, was also heavily scouted.

It remains to be seen where they will turn in 2022.

As well as Bowen, Thuram and Lang, Amine Gouiri (Nice), Christopher Nkunku (RB Leipzig), Cody Gakpo (PSV Eindhoven) and Kamaldeen Sulemana (Rennes) tick many of their boxes ā€” young, hungry, dynamic and with a high ceiling.

4 Likes

Nkunku is an interesting one because he will have 2 years left on his deal this summer. If he keeps up this form, he could attract serious interest. Otherwise wouldā€™ve been Olmo to be the next big move from Leipzig, but he needs to get back fit from injury and firing again.

4 Likes

No thanks to any of them except Nkunku. Add Diaz and Raphinha to my three man shortlist for this summer.

The Thuram shout is nuts. He is an absolute donkey and has scored a total of 0 goals this season. Never understood the hype behind him.

Is this Pearceā€™s opinion or who he thinks the club have been looking at? Whatā€™s noticeable about those is they are all perhaps one step further back in progression than players weā€™ve bought before for this area of the team. Most are still at their breakthrough club rather than having moved up and proved themselves. I couldnā€™t see us bringing in someone like Lang from the Belgian league or Gakpo from the Dutch league without them having first taken a step up somewhere else that is perhaps more similar to our level.

Itā€™d be a bit like if weā€™d bought Salah from Basle, Mane from Leipzig (very different prospect back then) or Jota from Porto or Wolves after his season in the Championship. The outcome for all would likely have been very different without the stepping stones in between.

If youā€™re potentially looking to replace rather than supplement/succession plan for one of Mane or Salah this summer, youā€™d hope itā€™d be more the likes of Bowen, Raphinha, Sarr or David weā€™d be after who have already show their talents can translate from one club to another or up a level from their previous club.

Also has Raiola as his agent so you know any deal would come with a big commission for him and the inevitable attempts to move him on again in a couple of years time for another nice pay day.

3 Likes