The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

The Jota, Sarr, David is him saying who we tried to sign before getting Jota.

The other names are based on stats/metrics to best match current players output, so his opinion. He does say Bowen was on our short list last summer had anyone offered us money for Origi, and we are still monitoring him.

1 Like

Makes sense. Doesnā€™t take too much to come up with some of those names but im sure Mikey Edwards and the gang are in Kirkby laughing their heads off at some of those suggestions.

Interesting some of the names that weā€™ve previously been linked with (some more tenuously than others) that didnā€™t make their list. The likes of Diaz, Doku, Danjuma, Samuel Chukwueze, Antony etc. I do also wonder if Bryan Mbeumo might be one of those players whose surface level stats donā€™t look great but the underlying data might actually show he could be a very good fit as a backup option for Salah if the deal can be done at the right price.

Going to be an interesting summer I thinkā€¦

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve watched him a few times and been a little bit unsure where heā€™d fit but maybe we are looking to changes things long term up front with our goal threat coming more from the left ala Jota than the right, so it could make sense. Iā€™m sure someone else on here was raving about him a while ago.

I mentioned him last week as someone Jules Laurent is highly critical of Deschamps for continuing to ignore for France. I mentioned it as I knew he was highly touted but was surprised anyone thinks heā€™s already reached the level to justify taking a solid stand on his need to be involved at that level already.

2 Likes

I think it was ARD but you can go sharesies with him :wink:

1 Like

That article also states: ā€œUnless Origi plays enough games between now and May to trigger an extra 12 months on his contract, he will be a free agent and the Belgian will need to be replaced.ā€ So, I guess that we have a confirmation that his time at Liverpool is coming to an end and that we wonā€™t be making any money on him.

4 Likes

Horrible thoughtā€¦ but if that clause is in Origiā€™s contractā€¦ maybe he is dodging notching up anymore games for usā€¦!

I doubt it. The number of games needed to fulfil the clause would have to be a fairly substantial number, and he has barely featured in the first half of the season. Furthermore, I donā€™t think the club would be looking to stand in his way of a move - it sounds as if they were hopeful of him moving the last two seasons but couldnā€™t get a deal agreed.

1 Like

Villa are in talks with Suarez. Wouldnā€™t mind him back for the rest of the season.

2 Likes

So Camavinga went to RM, done fuck all, now they want to sell for profit. Sounds like a desperate club, maybe the finances are still not as good as everyone thinks.

1 Like

Sounds like a shit rumour to be honest, why would Real sell him? Heā€™s 19 and they need that midfield depth, they have 5 proper CMā€™s for 3 positions and heā€™s one of the two backing up one of the very best midfield trios of last years.

2 Likes

FFS, it will be Mingolet next,!

they are after a keepr after allā€¦

2 Likes

The problem i have with some of these names is that theyā€™re clearly plucked out just because of their goals and assists, regardless of any other factors.

Danjumaā€™s had a decent half season with Villareal, get him linked. Ignore the fact his defensive work is non-existent and he wasnā€™t great for Bournemouth.

Lang? Someone must be having a laugh.

Nkunkuā€™s an interesting one. His numbers are excellent, but there are a number of Leipzig players with impressive numbers, though his are the best. Yet the side is 7th in the league and out of the Champions League. When I watched them a couple of years ago and developed my dislike of Werner, that lack of balance was evident. Itā€™s all very well your attacking players racking up good numbers but the object of the game is to win football matches (tick in the box for Jonathan David here though) which theyā€™re not doing despite having talent in other areas of the pitch. Iā€™ve watched Nkunku a bit a couple of years ago, inconsistent with some good flashes. His numbers then were very good despite the fact he was nowhere near ready to play at our level, so I question just how different that is now.

Some players rack up big numbers by playing for these attacking sides but arenā€™t at the level required. Haller and Tadic are world beaters for Ajax, but they were never capable of playing for Liverpool or City. 34 goals and 22 assists in Wernerā€™s last season at Leipzig btw, yet a handful of us correctly predicted he wasnā€™t anywhere near good enough.

Raphinha is the best player out of all the names Iā€™ve seen linked. He has every attribute required and it will be a big failure of his if he doesnā€™t end up playing at the highest level.

8 Likes

I said to my brother, a Villa fan, that they will be trying to sign JC from Sky Sports next :rofl:

1 Like

Raphinha reminds me a lot of Mahrez. I like him.

2 Likes

Seems to have been fine when on the pitch. Real has always been a difficult place. Playing ability there is nothing wrong with their three starters but maybe they should be starting to phase in a new generation and the older guys should be passing the torch? Like Barca fucked up when Iniesta and Xavi were still starting nearly all games right up till the end, something Barca have never really recovered and that area of the pitch never climbed those heights again. When any of the first 3 CMs there need a rest or are missing they tend to go a bit more attacking bring Valverde in. Heā€™s next used after that. Just maybe unfulfilled promises, political games, Ancellotti only caring about using the older guys to achieve on the short term instead of phasing the younger guys in? Maybe even for Real Madrid Camavinga is too expensive a commodity in fees and wages to only be a back up to Casemiro? After all heā€™s 7 years younger than Modric so could be starting vast majority of games for quite some time yet?

Same, but quite a lot quicker.

2 Likes

I would also suspect that Origiā€™s salary in the extension would be significantly higher that what he is likely to command even as a free transfer at this point in his career.

2 Likes

Only thing with a player/signing like Raphinhaā€¦ he would be coming exactly at the time when weā€™re potentially prolonging with Salah. I see Raphinha played other than the RW position here and there, but not much. So the question would be how we would share that game time between them. If heā€™s coming from where he was before Leeds, heā€™d probably accept it more, but maybe he will have other options to be more of a regular starter.

2 Likes

I assure you he didnā€™t!

3 Likes