The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Yeah. Raphinha is the name that stands out for me, a cut above the rest, but I’ve only seen him on the right. Has he played on the left side with Leeds?

5 Likes

Very rarely played on the left for Leeds, Rennes or Sporting but played a lot there for Vitória Guimarães.

Raphinha - Detailed stats | Transfermarkt

Mane was a bit like that where he played LW before going to Southampton who played him on the right a fair bit as did we went we first bought him.

2 Likes

Raphinha can play both sides no problem. The first couple of times I saw him for Leeds he played on the left and was great. He obviously can’t cut in and shoot like he can on the right, but he will have the beating the full back and can produce great quality into the box.

2 Likes

Also Jota is brilliant from the left so not overly concerned if someone is “primarily” right, left, center etc. We are pretty fluid when playing well.

4 Likes

He should bite Stevie’s hand off.

4 Likes

I think the reality is that Real have recently made moves with a view to the future - Jovic, Oedengaard, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Camavinga, the recent extension of Valverde’s contract. The issue is that with the exception of Vinicius, they have continued to be a better side with the old guard on the pitch than without. I think that is no where more apparent than with their midfield 3. Both Zizou and Anceloti have tried to give some of these guys their chance, sometimes out of the physical need to rest the old guard, but they’ve rarely convincingly grabbed it.

Camavinga is an especially difficult case because he’s very much like a younger Gerrard in that he does it all. You can give him any specific role in a midfield and he’ll be able to do it, but you’ll restrain him from some his natural strengths. 30 years ago you’d just throw him in a midfield and et him do this thing, but tis rare you something so unstructured these days. So you either do that, likely with some significant accommodation in the rest of the side, or he finds a manager who figures out the best way to use him in a structured side. I think unlike the 23 year old Gerrard, he hasn’t really justified Real making the accommodations necessary to accommodate him in a freer role, and the other option maybe requires a bit more long term thinking that Real are ever willing to employ.

I think what he really needs is a manager with a vision for what he’s going to be (a proper holder? an attacking mid? a Kante like destroyer?) and build around that in a way that you cannot when the old fuckers at Real keep playing so well

5 Likes

I think Klopp could be that guy. A physical, hard tackling, comfortable on the ball 8 who can cover the 6 position. Got athleticism and energy. I’ve liked him for awhile and think Klopp could make an exceptional player out of him. Just because Real Madrid haven’t unlocked him doesn’t stand as a red cross against his name for me.

Edit; And I think any of our midfielders would also struggle to get game time in that midfield with only maybe Thiago and Fabinho worth betting on playing regularly. It’s old but still top quality.

2 Likes

Raphina was heavily linked with that move to Bayern at the start of the month which felt a bit odd. I wonder if that was an attempt to flush out bids for Raphina or at least work out a price for him from another interested party…such as ourselves?

1 Like

Yep and the report from Pearce clearly didn’t name him which as ILLOK says its weird as he’s a perfect fit.

Obviously all could be bullshit as well!

I was watching the video of Bobby, Alisson and Fab, they all go round to eachothers with family and have bbqs… Our mini-Brazil is something worth keeping and expanding.

2 Likes

A lefty on our left side!

We didn’t see that in a long time… since Downing? Oh dear. Raphinha would do much better.

:joy:

Ive lost track since Brexit, but what is the rule these days on foreigners?

3 Likes

Erm all I know is if Origi leaves we have an overseas spot open! One in one out!

1 Like

If they are good, they are invaluable. We need them, want them, and will fight for them.
If they are not so good, they are clearly stealing a job from a more deserving Englishman.

There’s also practically zero point listing Karius as our 25th senior player as he’s probably 4th choice Keeper but he’s currently taking up a slot that can be used by anyone. If Phillips leaves as expected that’s a slot that can be used by someone that classifies as “homegrown” too. Very very unlikely to have ever been considered as Klopp doesn’t like mid season change but we really could have sold Phillips, brought back Rhys Williams as a non senior (free choice) replacement, used Phillips slot to bring in Fraser Forster as new 3rd choice homegrown Keeper, moved Adrian and Karius on (maybe paying off their last 6 months). That would have meant being able to add two outfield players to the team that could have been non homegrown if needed. Maybe cheap deals for Boubacar Kamara and Sardar Azmoun who I think are both still free in the summer and could have helped our depth in midfield and attack where we have struggled a little. In fact the expected fee for Phillips would have probably been enough for Forster, Kamara and Azmoun as they all are free in the summer.

5 Likes

What’s their cusine like, and can a british person do a good job at cooking it?

1 Like

Should never be mentioned in the same breath. Raphinha is No 1 on my wish list (of the realistic options)

1 Like

They are still illegal

I hope we go nowhere near Tielmans. He gave the ball away so many times today against Spurs, including the lead up to the Spurs late winner. Dreadful performance.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch the game tonight and so can not respond to your comment. However, apart from his funny rosey cheeks, I have on the whole been impressed with Tilemans (sp). I believe he has the skill set, that will blossom under Klopp and with better players.

1 Like