The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

We wouldn’t be able to recall him , from a domestic loan anyway.

2 Likes

Gomez couldn’t be recalled if he went on loan. Imagine if he got seriously injured on loan somewhere.

2 Likes

I’d let Joe go and keep Phillips, to be honest. take 25M for Joe and let him chase England dreams at Villa for Gerrard.

Yeah we couldn’t call him back, a loan would be idea if we could to be fair but it’s not really an option.

1 Like

I think our training is underestimated by a lot of fans. Consider how much players have improved after arriving, during their easing-in period (see Robertson for instance), and that we’re not shy to slowly ease players back in after long-term injuries (see Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain). We certainly do see value in easing him back slowly, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him feature a lot more in the remaining part of the season.

6 Likes

In that case I’m ecstatic you aren’t making the decisions.

Phillips is and should be leaving. Did us a solid and we should always be thankful to him for that. Should always get a warm reception. But he should never be more than an emergency option for a club our size. And he’s the wrong age for that and probably not wanting it.

Gomez is not just home grown but counts as club developed too. He’s a far far better player and much more experienced. He may need to move on if he wants to be starting somewhere straight away as it may be awhile before that’s an option here with his current physical condition and the quality of the others. If he is pushing it and/or we know his physical ability will be permanently affected by his injuries maybe we need to reluctantly let him move on with our thanks. Yet again future warm reception when coming back.

5 Likes

If Phillips goes to Newsandcastle as abhorrent as that club is…
he will become a hero amongst their fans if he plays well

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

4 Likes

Low offers probably because we were letting him leave on a free not too long back

1 Like

My memory is hazy, but I though Jurgen arranged a better loan transfer through his German contacts. Not sure if he signed an extension then or during/after.

Ah OK… I was of the belief he was a free agent a while back heading to College in America

This sounds rubbish, Diaz’s best position is where Son plays + they’re bringing Traore (different part of the pitch, but still).

1 Like

Who with a normal brain would offer £50-60m for Gomez right now?

:joy:

2 Likes

If Maguire went or £80mill surely Gomez is worth at least half that

If Stewing Downing cost us £20m we should have been able to sell Shaqiri for £100m by that logic! Maguire was a £20m CB at best. Plus £10m because he was English. Plus £20m because they didn’t want or have to sell him when they did so United had to put a ridiculous offer in. Plus another £15m because United had a shit reputation at the time for overpaying. Plus £15m because United wanted to make a statement and break the CB record we had set for VvD.

6 Likes

Newcastle have apparently offered €40M to Marseille for Guimares and are willing to pay the player €220,000 a week. There was not long ago Marseille would have accepted €30M for him but there is a lot of hand ringing whether to accept that offer or not?if they wait until the summer Newcastle will find someone else but Marseille are in great need of funds.

1 Like

In a normal situation, a 24 year old CB who has featured for us in our winning seasons, a England International, recognized as one of the best young CBs in the country and in a reasonable contract with a club like Liverpool would not be surprised to cost 50-60m at least for us to consider, or if he was consistent in that mode, we would never even consider selling. However, Gomez is in a difficult situation, I would not blame him for thinking about leaving because he knows unless drastic injuries or off forms happen, he is only going to get the odd game here and there, not going to help in his England prospect but importantly, not going to help him in getting up to match fitness and flow in the squad. At the same time, we will not be willing to let him leave for 20-25m because that means we have to find another CB for 4th choice (actually that is why I thought Rhys is recalled because there is a chance both Joe and Nat might leave). In all honesty, no one will pay anything more than 25m - 30m for Joe at this moment, in fact, I will be surprised if anyone will pay a lump sum like this for Joe if it goes to this kind of valuation of 30m, unless someone desperate like Newcastle. A short term loan for Joe might be the best solution for all if that is really what he wants and we will use Rhys for 4th choice. Would love for him to stay to fight but right now from his perspective, its not looking positive for him on that front.

1 Like

We must keep Joe. If necessary make it clear he will get games this season and, if he plays like he has previously, that he can reestablish his first choice partnership with Virgil. Remind him that this is how he became world class and he won’t ever find another partner alongside whom he can reach such a high level while winning the CL and PL. Explain that Gareth fucking Southgate may pick him for England but the only way he’ll become a starter is winning things at Liverpool.

Selling Joe sets us right back to where we were last season and there is no guarantee that, even if finding another replacement signing like Konate was possible and affordable, that he’d be happy starting as fourth choice. If we let JoGo go now then it shows a real lack of ambition.

11 Likes

2 games a week coming up soon…we are in 4 competitions…should be enough for him to get game time and show what he can do…if he’s good enough should be able to usurp Matip. YNWA

6 Likes

Seeing what prices are still paid for English players, I won’t be surprised if someone offered that in the summer. A full English international with age on his side, Premier League and Champions League medals, athletic and great with the ball at his feet… Besides, it’s been a while since we fleeced someone. :slight_smile:

1 Like