The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Gomez is a nice player, if not a touch overrated by LFC supporters. If he wants to move on I don’t think JK will stand in his way, especially if he has dreams to play for England in the World Cup. I applaud his ambition and would love to see him moved somewhere he can play regularly.

He will turn 25 this year and has at least a decade of football left in him.

1 Like

I think it’s a big assumption to think that just because he’s no longer injured that he’s “fit”. This is an injury that has a potentially long road to full recovery. If by next August he’s still a clear 4th choice that would be the point for him to consider his options, and for the fans to consider it. At this point it’s still too early.

9 Likes

Toronto Raptors Applause GIF by MOODMAN

3 Likes

Interesting fact with Gomez is that he will have 2 years left on his deal this summer.

It was the first part of the 18/19 season (when he played the best football for us) when he last signed a new contract with us.

Speaking of contracts, Jota (especially if he continues like this and becomes even more important) is bound to get a new/improved one in the next year or so, too.

3 Likes

England’s CBs are shit. As long as he is fit he should be in the side anyway even if not playing for us. I know that maybe isnt Southgate’s perspective, but players should be careful making career decisions on the basis of bad decisions from others.

5 Likes

I’m not sure he would be considered as a starter by Southgate anyway, considering he was a regular in a league-winning season but still didn’t get many games, if at all, for the national team.

1 Like

Apparently they want a loan deal with an obligation to buy if they stay up.
We want £15M.

2 Likes

Hows about no. Thought they were the richest team in the world and they’re out here acting like one of those skint Serie A sides that used to be rich back in the 90s.

11 Likes

Reports at the beginning of January said we were interested but for only half his release clause which is basically what Spurs have bid. Be interesting to see if Porto are willing to do business at that price as they have issues with FFP. Wonder if we might go back in for him?

Gomez’ situation puzzles me a bit. It’s easy to forget just how good he was at his best but it’s hard to look past his injury issues. I think he can be a Rolls Royce of a defender with consistent playing time but if some club was to offer silly money for him, I think that Liverpool’s recruitment folks would take it and reinvest it. If it was up to me, I’m not sure I would decline a bid of 50-60 million pounds, especially if I could get another Konate for less than two thirds of that amount.

4 Likes

Could we not find him a loan for the rest of the season so he can play regularly, build up his match fitness and confidence but not actually sell him?

Should the unthinkable happen again, then recall him.

We are probably being super cautious, he is a defender who relied massively on pace to get him out of bad situations. If he is continually being asked to sprint to cover his rustiness he could quickly breakdown.

Whereas Van Dijk’s reading of the game (for the most part) is excellent and he rarely used his pace to recover.

I would be surprised we get offered anything close to that…

I dont see the point of this.

4 Likes

So let me get this straight matip is a bit out of form(fuck he hit some heights)
Other clubs sniffing around Joe Gomez for such and such :bank:where we could sell him, no thanks
It’s’s obvious why :see_no_evil: we’re in ALL the cups to
We need these four, Nats out the equation.
Virgil
Matip
Gomez
Konate.

6 Likes

I think we’d struggle to get half of that. With injury history of Matip, and Konate still kind of untested, I think it would be madness to sell him right now. Maybe a short term loan to get him playing, but I can’t see it to be honest. Maybe revisit the subject in the summer, but no way do I think he’ll be sold.

2 Likes

Yeah they can fuck right off! I’d rather he stayed and helped the groundsmen out than go there on ANY terms.

2 Likes

Because I don’t want to sell him, but he obviously wants to play more. I don’t think he can get back to his best if he spends all his time on the bench.

1 Like

But he isn’t guaranteed to be a starter next season either and may look to move on given the looming world Cup.

Him being out on loan means he isn’t available to us if we want/ need him before then.

1 Like

We can can recall him if we need him. But at the moment he’s a clear 4th choice, and if he’s not getting near the pitch he will probably want to leave in the summer.
At least with a loan he gets some playing time, can get in contention for playing for England again, come back and hopefully try and give Klopp a huge headache for his line up.

1 Like