The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Sounds familiar…2 years of not venturing anywhere…sloppies are the in thing.

1 Like

One of the nice things about an Internet forum is people will believe you look like how you tell them you look or like your avatar.

When I get tired of people thinking I’m a dog, I’ll just change my avatar.

I am not sure what has gone wrong with him, but something clearly has. His decline did coincide with two things. One was Mourinho and a change in game plan that saw them play deeper and emphasized pace more than previously. The second, somewhat related to the first was the emergence of Son as a real first rate weapon. I don’t watch enough of them in detail to be able to identify it for sure, but I suspect that changed the dynamics of their attacks, even beyond becoming more counter attack focused, that saw Dele getting frozen out of the exchanges that had previously been so fruitful and finding the space he’d previously operated in already filled by Kane.

Regardless, he is now very much a reclamation project, the sort of project a midtable might think is worth the effort to help shoot them for Europe. Not one of a side that has far important things to concentrate on.

4 Likes

He’s spurs Jesse lingard to me. Talented player, needs others to graft a bit for him, but just not good enough to throw off balance of ‘top’ team to find a place for him. Put him on a team not theoretically going for title or top 4, I bet he’ll look aces again.

Which is weird, because in his first season he very much was good enough. Mourinho ruined so many fun attacking players.

Alli’s form was on a downward slope before Mourinho arrived at Spurs. Mourinho was credited with ‘reviving’ him for a short while, before his form nosedived again.

He was never a midfielder, not a good one anyway. He was always more of a forward. There’d be nowhere he could play in our side.

2 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

He has always struck me as a work ethic type of manager. Most of the players I see him criticizing come across as lazy or out of shape (Shaw, Pogba, Alli, etc). He does need someone as a scapegoat, but he’s quite accurate on who should be targeted.

In the case of Shaw, Van Gaal also criticized his work ethic. Although he was recovering from a horrific leg injury while both managed United.

He has since become an annoyingly hard working and solid, if just a little dirty, player.

You spelt shite wrong

2 Likes
2 Likes

We’ve made an improved offer Fabio Carvalho according to sky sports.

5 Likes

Wonder if we would loan him back? For the rest of the season?

2 Likes

Carvalho makes sense now if he’s out of contract in the summer. There will probably be a lot of interest. I’m speculating with no evidence that there wouldn’t be a huge difference between what we’d pay now and what we’d be made to pay eventually in compensation

4 Likes

Makes sense, and bearing in mind he’ll be a free agent in June you’d have to assume the fee wouldn’t be that much

In fact that should be an easy sale to Fulham - get something now and keep the player, or lose him in the summer and have to wait months, possibly years, for a tribunal fee to be set that’s probably lower than our current offer

3 Likes

I’d even let them keep him for next season, he’s a key player for them.

2 Likes

Loan them Gordon to sweeten the deal

I believe this loophole has been closed so you can’t do this anymore. Of course the way round it is to agree a deal for the end of the season which gets Fulham some money rather than him going on a free and we secure him now before other English clubs can negotiate with him as a free agent.

2 Likes

What do you guys think of Raphinha of Leeds?

Do you think he would be a good fit in our team? Just wondering.

1 Like

Good player, but would be expensive and play’s in Mo’s position. I expect we’ll have more clarity by the end of the season when we know if Mo is extending his deal or not.

3 Likes

If Salah were to not sign a new contract and we decided to sell him to PSG or Real in the summer then I would be happy for us to go for Raphina to replace him. I think he’s a very good player who could be an excellent player.

As things currently stand, I’d prefer Salah just signed the contract and I think Raphina would cost too much to be a ‘back up option’. Leeds would be wanting £50m+ while we are currently buying similar ability players for £37.5m

Speaking of Diaz, he can also play on the right, though I don’t know how effectively and Mané can play on the right, so I’m not convinced we would be looking at a RW player this summer anymore and our ‘big’ summer signing will be a midfielder.

4 Likes