The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

His strong point isn’t defending. Honestly ARD, have you actually watched him at all? Genuine question. Even when they go 3 at the back he doesn’t always get a look in.

Leverkusen have a quick, tall and skillful defender who actually starts for them and is younger than Tah. He’d be a better shout.

4 Likes
3 Likes

If we are investing in potential, I’d rather revisit the Edmond Tapsoba links.

EDIT: @ILLOK beat me to it. That’s the move.

3 Likes

When was that? Apart from a few games here and there. Jota was one of Wolves’ key player in last years, probably the second forward with most minutes behind Jimenez.

1 Like

Yet again I don’t think people are looking at CBs who actually reliably win their aerial duels. We can’t have two CBs who are not great at this especially as the two of them would likely end up a partnership in the future.

Time for my biannual ‘Please, please, not Tah’ post :wink:

9 Likes

Their last 6 games last season he started 3 and came off the bench for the other 3. Of the 3 he started he only finished one.

As a recruitment team we don’t care about form we care about abilities and capabilities. It’s almost annoying when our target is well known and in form as it drives the price up and means there will be competition for signatures.

1 Like

He had a more experienced player ahead of him,sometimes,not the same for Tah.

2 Likes

What, so buy a crap defender because he’s tall? A player who can’t get in the side ahead of 6’1, 31 year old Sven Bender?

Tapsoba is 6’3/6’4 btw, I reckon he can head a few away.

Tall or able to consistently win aerial challenges. Some shorter players are good in the air some taller players are bad. Just think it will be a main requirement of the recruitment teams scouting profile, much more than form or how a current manager is using the player.

You probably have to be of a certain age, but in my humble opinion this the the best, most clever post to date in the new forum!!

Just say "No, ta(h)…

1 Like

Tah seems to have really dropped off since he was supposed to be the next big Centre Back, but I can really see where ARD is coming from.

The thing we really missed on Saturday was Virgils ability to just routinely head everything back over the half way line. Sheffield Utd were winning everything in the air.

Who ever we go for at centre back, his ability in the air would be top of my list.

5 Likes

This piece of analysis work will probably be of interest to those currently debating the Bundesliga centre backs.

Statistically, Kabak comes out quite well. What it doesn’t include is incidents of spitting on an opponent during a global pandemic, something which I don’t think should be overlooked.

Another one that could tick boxes would be Ibrahim Konate who was at one point being talked of as being on par and possibly having a higher ceiling than his CB partner Upamecano. Been out with a long term injury but will be interesting to see how he recovers and how much it might have hampered his development.

For me, i’d like to see someone come in to challenge Gomez for that spot next to VvD. I think we must be approaching the point where patience is wearing thin when it comes to Matip’s injury record. I’d be looking for him to be fourth choice and potentially phase him out over the next year or two as he just can’t be replied upon to be available enough.

5 Likes

I don’t really get the VVD/Upamecano thing going on here,i’m kinda getting lost on what you think is a bad idea buying the new CB on the basis of why/how we bought the old one.

Upamecano isn’t the best CB on the planet but he’s highly rated and posesses all the skills needed to make it to the next level,there’s a reason Kabak cost half the price of him and thats because he ticks less than half the boxes Upamecano does,even if aerial stats point in favour of Kabak for one season,the stats are minimal he’s most definately not head and shoulders better in the heading department and certainly not a basis on which to choose Kabak over Upamecano,when the latters all round game,skills,experience and attitude is most certainly head and shoulders above Kabaks right now.

Don’t get me wrong,i’m not 100% advocating Upamecano as a must buy,they could have a number of CB’s under the radar who i know nothing about that could be coming in but i just can’t see us signing Kabak over Upamecano,if it was a head to head on who steps into the team this year to cover CB.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that link Rab. Those statistical analysis have their place but they should also be taken with a grain of salt. Or at the very least, reconciled with the “Eye Test”. They talk about Karim Rekkik being good in duels but he also happens to be a horrendous defender. I couldn’t wait for Hertha to get rid of him.

EDIT: they also reference Koch who has been uneven with Leeds so far.

3 Likes

The point is that VvD was worth the money to us because he was the perfect blueprint for every thing we specifically need from a CB in the style that we play our game. Not because he was recognised as good or cost a certain amount. Upamecano is good and costs a certain amount but ISN’T a good let alone perfect fit for how we play and what we need from a CB. At the cost he will be at (most definitely peak value or close to it) I don’t see why we would be tempted to go for the move. Kabak may also not be a perfect fit but shows slightly better in areas that most matter to us and could be as low as £20m whilst Upamecano could be as high as £65m. I don’t think either are sure fire hits for us and aren’t perfect targets but the younger player who is closer to being a right fit and likely to cost a hell of a lot less would probably be more tempting out of the two.

1 Like

Great info thanks. Based on the stats given, Kabak looks the best option from the Bundesliga. Does well in all categories, so he can play, but crucially, given VVD absence, he is good in the air too.

Wagner is Klopp’s mate. Get it done. We might even have a loan or two for them to sweeten the deal and get a couple players some high level experience.

The spitting incident was unsavory, and I expect both a thorough analysis of character, as with all signings, and also a serious talk about what is expected of Liverpool players.

If we sign Kabak I would expect Matip to drop to fourth choice, the Lovren role, given injury issues. This assumes Kabak is signed and settles well.

Oh of course, the eye test is paramount. It was more for those debating the statistical side of things.

I’ve not seen huge amounts of either player but what I have seen i’d have Upamecano every day of the week ahead of Kabak. I think the leadership element of what VvD brings can’t be under estimated and Gomez doesn’t seem to have that about him whilst Dayot has it in spades and at such a young age too. No stat can show that but it’s arguably what separates the very good from the great in that position.

1 Like

It’s a fair point, and the player will likely cost a lot more than Kabak because of it.

My concern is that while VVD is out we are going to be bombarded aerially. If we have Upamecano and Gomez in defence, teams will find it very difficult to get at us on the deck, but they might have some success aerially. Just wondering if Kabak might be the better option at that point.

I’m chilled as our recruitment has been excellent.

Van Dijk of course snuffs out all forms of danger, uses the ball well and spreads reassurance just by his presence, which is why he is the best in the world.

4 Likes