The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

How long ago was it they did this spiel about not going for Thiago?

1 Like

Ruben Semedo seems like a bit of a nutter tbh,judging him on his off the field issues,iā€™m not too sure if heā€™d pass the Klopp/Edwards attitude/personality trait test,he was locked up after being charged with attempted murder,then paying his own bail to release himself from prison,in a maximum 15 year sentence for kidnap,robbery,wounding and illegal firearm possession,heā€™s now banned from entering Spain for 8 years.Iā€™d be surprised if this one happens.

6 Likes

Regarding the woeful injuries we are encountering and how some feel it will derail an entire season unless we buy like for likeā€¦ I wonder if it is worth considering the following two pointsā€¦

In Jurgen we have an example of a lateral thinker at the top of his gameā€¦ If looking for a pot of gold buried in a farmers field, do we dig a single hole deeper and deeper, or, do we dig lots of holes in different places a lot shallower, given the same timelineā€¦?
HE WILL find solutions to our present dilemma and as fans we should watch in awe.
The timing of moving into the AXA Kirby complex would offer him the perfect opportunity to advertise the ā€˜real meaningā€™ of the LFC facilities to every youngster with special footballing talents across the globeā€¦ and reassure their parents that LFC is the place to be.
In order to do this he has to demonstrate what it actually means to be a youngster on the books of LFCā€¦ how better to parade these opportunities than by playing Billy the Kid, Rhys Williams and probably Nat Phillips for the rest of this seasons campaignsā€¦ Helter Skelter of heart pounding ride from here-on in if he does, but what better message to put out there to the youngsters that may consider the Manchester Cheater or Chelseaā€™s of this world that hardly if everā€¦ or small percentage at any rate, promote the young talents to their first team statusā€¦
Just a thought is allā€¦ Point 2 would get my vote everyday of the week and twice on Sunday :+1:
In Jurgen we trust to bring the success homeā€¦

Posted two days agoā€¦ Maybe Jurgen and Michael Edwards read itā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I posted this thought in The Who Would You Buy thread, but I donā€™t think any of the big names will move in January. And by big names I mean CB with valuation over Ā£30M. Maybe Tark leaves Burnley, and maybe Tottenham finally gets their Skriniar deal over the line, but I donā€™t see the marquee names switching clubs.

My guess is that if we do sign CB it will be a bargain buy or a player thatā€™s a bit off the radar. There will be many tears and malaise from fanbois on social media when Upamecano is not holding a Liverpool shirt when the Jan window closes. And I am completely ok with that. See what solutions we have in house, monitor Big Virg and Joeā€™s rehabilitation and reassess in the Summer.

2 Likes

I expect we will bring someone in but itā€™ll be a bit of a surprise signing, not one of the expected ones.

Even if we bring someone in the kids will play a lot. Itā€™s a ridiculously congested season and VvD and Gomez are likely to miss most of whatā€™s left. Fabinho will need rests and may even be needed in CM a few times. Matipā€¦ well Iā€™m sorry to sound negative but if heā€™s able to play 50% of our remaing games I think thatā€™d be a huge turn up for the books.

New guy, Fabinho and Matip covering a lot of games between them will still leave playing time open to the kids.

Without the new guy we may well end up needing to play league or champions league knock out fixtures with central defence made up out of Nat Phillips, Rhys Williams, Wijnaldum and Henderson at some point.

Weā€™d best hope for a Gomez/Alexander-Arnold style success story with Rhys Williams if so.

1 Like

So far the more he plays the better he looked.

3 Likes

But can we guarantee it? Even if he has an Alexander-Arnold style progression Trent didnā€™t get there till second season, his first was a few cameos. 2nd was 50/50 split with Gomez and 3rd was him really established. If we donā€™t buy anyone and Matip continues to have his current availability issues then we are left hoping for Williams to have a season like Trents 2nd or possibly even 3rd. And even if he ā€œonlyā€ shows the same promise as Trent did in his first season and a half it leaves us in a bit of a mess. Using Hendo/Gini and Phillips an awful lot. Donā€™t get me wrong me wanting us to bring in a CB is not me having no hopes for Williams. More me trying to be realistic. We had this with Brewster the other year with people just being unrealistic on their hopes for his progress. We ended up getting Minamino. I think the same needs to happen at CB but hopefully with a better long term result for Williams than Brewster had and a better immediate impact than Minamino had.

1 Like

As far as I can tell every news piece linking us to him has originated from the same source, a Portuguese media outlet.

I doubt they have any insight into what Klopp and Edwards are thinking.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not disagreeing with you I also think we need an established centre half. But according to an Athletic report, we will not get one. From that perspective, it will be interesting to see what young Williams can do.

1 Like

City players hear about that party with 20 call-girls and think ā€œbunch of amatures!ā€

1 Like

Can you imagine what our line up would be now if it had gone according to the Athletic?

2 Likes

I donā€™t believe the article from The Athletic a bit. Club might even be using Ornstein here.

We wonā€™t let other clubs put us under pressure or blackmail us because of our injury crisis.

Can be a Klavan or even Caulker type of signing but we have to bring someone in.

5 Likes

I doubt the club have decided either way yet 100%.

If the current 4 options we have stay fairly healthy and continue to play well i donā€™t see us bringing in some mediocre journeyman just for another body.

6 Likes

Second half of the season we have the 5 ā€˜top gamesā€™ in the League + Everton and Leicester AND at least 4 CL KO stage games (hopefully more).

No way will Matip be able to play all of those and no way Nat and Rhys can be trusted in many of those games.

Also, no guarantee that Fabinho will stay injury free, is suited to to play CB against any opponent and wonā€™t be needed in midfield all season.

5 Likes

A Klavan or Caulker type couldnā€™t be trusted in those games either.

We will get to see more of Phillips and Williams before January. If Williams can continue to play well against sides like Ajax and Atalanta he will continue to build trust. If Phillips plays more games like he did against West Ham he will continue to build trust.

Too early to write them off at this stage.

3 Likes

Jurgen will do two thingsā€¦

1. Plan for the here and now with what he hasā€¦
  2. Plan for future periods you mention by harnessing the talents he has at his disposal right now, thus hone these talents/individuals to suit the tactical changes/gameplans he will need to makeā€¦
    Even with injuries/absenteeā€™s we still have a very strong core of players that possess a very strong winning mentalityā€¦ Consistency is what he will strive forā€¦ Consistency of winning 3points by some ā€˜poetry in motionā€™ football one weekend, to an attrition of war style against the yard-dog teams such as Everton and Burnleyā€¦ Same goes for the CLā€¦ Jurgen will pit his wits against whomever LFC come up againstā€¦
    Keep the faithā€¦
2 Likes

Just because we may sign someone in January doesnā€™t mean itā€™ll be anything other than a long term target. Possibly brought forward 6 months. Might not be a signing some want or expect to see but I think itā€™ll be someone who is a proper target not an emergency cover.

3 Likes

Given our current situation and the proven fragility of Matip, even David Moyes would be looking for a replacement in Kloppā€™s position and heā€™s less managerial nouse than Olaf the Hairy. Famous for once ordering 100 armoured battle helmets with the horns on the inside.

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t be too sure about that. We need a piece of duck tape to fit a leak temporarily, not a full plumbing job. But I wouldnā€™t say no to breaking the bank on VVDā€™s twin brother. Then we could play 1-2-5-3 with glorious abandon. One can dream :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that what they call Ole in Norway.

2 Likes