The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

No they call him shite as they know their football :rofl:

5 Likes

I think we were bringing in someone anyway. Just couldn’t quite land the perfect deal this summer so waited till next summer. Thiago arriving and Wijnaldum staying left that open to us as an option because it freed Fabinho up to he 4th choice CB as there was less requirement for him to be in midfield.

Now what happens next summer after what’s gone on would be the question.

My expectation is we bring in a CB in during Jan instead of waiting till the summer even if it does mean paying a little more now, something we weren’t prepared to do in the summer. But we will have multiple options so won’t be taken to the cleaners, Lewis/Tsimikas LB style maneovering.

Then next summer one of a few things might happen;

Gomez or VvD may not be ready to come back (god I hope they are) in which case we start next season with Gomez/VvD (whichever one is back), Matip, New Guy and Fabinho as our options.

Gomez and VvD are back and along with Matip and the new guy we are set. Fabinho moves into midfield perhaps to replace Wijnaldum (almost certainly going) or Milner (possibly going).

New guy bombs so despite VvD and Gomez coming back we probably still need Matip and Fabinho in defence and possibly a new midfielder (don’t really believe this one could happen with our recruitment team).

New guy is fine, Gomez and VvD are back but we decide it’s time to let Matip move on due to his injury issues so either Fabinho or Williams is our fourth choice. Means we might need a new CM.

Or some combination of the above.

4 Likes

[quote=“Klopptimist, post:1152, topic:51, full:true”]
Wouldn’t be too sure about that. We need a piece of duck tape to fit a leak temporarily, not a full plumbing job.[/quote]

And the Kloppessimist says

• the 30 year old VvD might never get back to his best

• Joe Gomez’ career will only go downwards after his fourth long term injury

• Joel Matip will forever be injury prone

• Fabinho doesn’t want to be a CB forever

Maybe we need a full plumbing job.

1 Like

Only if the most negative of scenarios comes to pass.

2 Likes

There’s no doubt we’d be buying a CB by the end of next summer amyway. Serious injuries to the starting pair, a decent third option that can’t string a run of games together due to fitness issues and a defensive midfielder is not what you want to be heading into a season with.

As others have said, Gini is off in the summer too as it stands so we kind of need Fab back where he belongs.

The only question for me is can we get the target we want in January or do we have to wait. That’ll likely be down in part to who the target/s are and whether we can move someone like Origi or Shaqiri on to free up space and funds.

4 Likes

Apparently he enjoys playing there.

2 Likes

I also think it’s pretty likely that the club have not even made a 100% decision yet. They’re probably still in the process.

Articles like that are maybe only to create headlines based on the info they’re getting at the moment. So far it was “Liverpool have not yet made a decision to buy or not in January”. That can be easily translated to “they’re not getting anyone as things stand”.

I certainly didn’t like the idea of going into this season without a Lovren replacement. I could understand the arguments, but I didn’t feel good. We had two players there who between themselves had only 1 full season without an important injury (Gomez last season). In the end, we lost the best one who never got injured and the other two just keep getting injured.

But no need to panic. Though one thing is for sure, fans will always turn to Football Managers ideas. It’s immediately “let’s bring in 2 CB’s!”. It doesn’t work like that, or better to say, it’s never as easy as we think. It’s also not a great position to be chasing in a January market in a year like this.

3 Likes

I’m think Williams and Phillips have 11 games to show Klopp why he doesnt need to buy a CB in the Jan window.

I’m sure we will have our bases covered either way but Klopp is the type of manager who backs in his youth and fringe players so both will be given a chance and so far they have both done ok.

Where it gets really messy is if(when) Matip picks up an injury and we have them both playing. Then we have no option but to buy and we pull the trigger on whoever our long term target is assuming they are available.

4 Likes

I think the Queen might hate seeing two Prince having to prove to a German. :rofl:

5 Likes

To be fair, Mane and Jota will be as much of a test for Fuchs’ing ancient

3 Likes

Here’s one I could get behind

Liverpool transfer links with Erling Haaland make sense and Takumi Minamino can help

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-transfer-news-erling-haaland-19234701

Nothing beyond refs to Salzburg’s manager and sporting director saying Liverpool would be a good ref (which is old comment now). Dan Kay (who?) suggests that Taki could be helpful.

Yeah as unreliable as the weather or Mbappe rumours

2 Likes

Dunno what you’re on about mate. Mbappé’s a dead cert. :wink:

4 Likes

Perr Shuurs seems to be rumoured all over the net:

3 Likes

That means we aren’t signing him :wink:

8 Likes

Seeing as Minamino beens a huge success here! He can tell Haaland how comfortable the benches are and what its like for Origi to be picked ahead of you hahaha.

I see Chavs linked with Bayerns Alaba on a free - we should be all over that.

2 Likes

He’s been on a scouting mission for Erling. Taki’s got a spreadsheet with scores on loads of different things, that Erling is keen to know about. Including deal breakers, such as whether the milk is added before or after the water goes into a cuppa.

I agree re Alaba.

3 Likes

Being linked on the free means he wouldn’t be coming til next year, not January. And where is Alaba playing at Chelsea if they’re also resigning Silva and then have Malang Sarr coming back from loan?

1 Like

Don’t think we will be in for Alaba - simply because of his wage damands.

He always wanted to play in midfield so for us he could play LB (but with Robbo and Tsimikas we‘re good in that area), CB but he could also be a replacement for Gini if the club is not able to extend his contract.

1 Like

The only way Alaba makes sense to me is as a Milner replacement, a player with a winning track record and who is real versatile. Mostly a CM option but probably more than capable emergency cover for both fullback positions. Doubt Klopp would use him as a CB but by having him as a CM option it allows an element of freedom for playing Fabinho at CB when required. Even with Wijnaldum likely to move on I still don’t see a role for him. More likely a CB option to cover for the VvD and Gomez injuries and maybe eventually letting Matip move on at some stage.

2 Likes

Does anyone know anything about this kid from Ajax we’re being linked to? I guess we’ve got a chance to watch him this week.

3 Likes