The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

But those clubs who are under immense financial pressure need cash now no? I am sure that’s ultimately the friction point is everybody wants favorable terms because nobody has cash on hand. Big difference between being a billionaire and having a billion cash on hand.

3 Likes

Not really

He doesn’t have to be better than Gomez or Matip.

He just needs to be better than Phillips and Williams.

4 Likes

Read somewhere that we’re not only hurting from the defensive side of losing VVD but we’re hurting because our speed of counter is broken because we’re not able to pass quickly enough to unlock our speed and threat with the losses we’ve suffered. So yes, better defensive player, but one with a certain big picture grasp on releasing our attacking front three is needed. Maybe a reason Hendo was tried out, to leverage that lack of passing accuracy.

1 Like

yes and no.

i think in the given circumstances, a clubs financiers would view favourably a small bit of cash at hand and a future commitment compared to no sale at all.

its all a bit overblown all of this anyway.

yes, its a financially hectic time, yes there is uncertainty in the world, but we have been a very well run and cautious club, if FSG have to inject capital, then they have to inject capital.

we are basically playing this season without centre backs…its not even up for debate to be honest…if we want to be serious about cementing our place at the top table in football we just need to maintain our squad.

thats the thing, no ones after a luxuary signing here, no ones suggesting its the perfect time to pay 25 million pound (plus) for a footballer…

but we are a fucking football club and we dont have a fit centre back, the more macro you look at it the more ridiculous it appears…

its made even more strange by the fact that it was debated a fair bit prior to the injuries, that we needed another centre back, its not like we got to Jan 1st and thought to ourselves, we better start scouting centre backs…

weve had a long enough run up at this, Klopp deserves a player, the squad deserves a player…

8 Likes

Yes, they need cash now. Hence more willing to make a deal, especially the French clubs where the TV deal has gone kaput.

Some cash now may well be preferable to more cash in the summer if there’s a chance they don’t actually make it that far.

I don’t expect Henry to have a billion in his bank account but billionaires have no issue borrowing money should they need it and inputting it that way. Best way to get a loan is to prove you don’t need it.

1 Like

Surely the actual problem is they cannot see the END of the economic trouble. Hence no one knows how much they might have to bail out the club on its existing liabilities never mind a new player. Its as if everyone with any nous has said fuck it - powder dry time.

My suspicion is this Jan window to come will be the lowest outlay in the history of the modern game, bar City.

1 Like

yeah thats a concern.

that its basically a collective decision by a small cartel. which is probably worse as it leaves us with not having as great a shot at the title as what we actually deserve.

waiting for actual blood in the water.

2 Likes

Most unreliable ever??

2 Likes

one solution:

LFC sends Keita to Bayer Leverkeusen
Bayer Leverkeusen sends Jonathan Tah to LFC. future cash/considerations to offset difference in player value

Bayer are in a title race and have two of their CM out injured. both teams benefit from the move.

2 Likes

Worst idea ever.

6 Likes

Normally given the obvious need for a centre back, the fact that the window has been open for a week without any movement would be a massive indication that they’ll be no movement in Jan.

But with the elongated season, loads still to play for, maybe a more cautious approach of seeing how the Hendo experiment/Williams/Phillips/Matip injury mark XXV plays out has been preferred. If so, surely they’ll be a move made soon.

It beggars belief we would continue with the strategy of using existing resources at centre back. We have assets elsewhere on loan or on the bench who can be sold now (albeit not at the top of the market) if cashflow is the issue.

I’d echo a couple of the posters above, it’s a great chance to win back to back titles (no guarantee of this chance next season or beyond), but we will be fighting with one hand tied behind our backs if we don’t move. There’s plenty to play for so just get it done.

6 Likes

We signed Klavan from Augsburg.

But they signed Uduokhai 6 months ago (for €7m). Unlikely that he would leave so early.

2 Likes

Obviously I know everything about the guy in the 15mins since I first heard of him (watched 2 videos already). Looks like they made a loan permanent? So not exactly a cut and dry type transfer. It’s the hope that kills you.

2 Likes

Cometh the hour, cometh the man…!
Maybe Jurgen is thinking this guy can do a job for him playing a deeper role…

1 Like

And yet they were still comfortable to commit to two significant transfers in the summer with the majority of the fees payable in said unknown future.

I get it, I really do. We have to be prudent. We can’t do a City and spend what we like and fiddle the books. It’s sensible and probably the right thing given the uncertainty right now.

But on the other hand, we have a small window with this squad and this manager. We quite clearly have an urgent need and a player that may have been £20m-£30m a year ago could now be available for significantly less as the clubs lower down the food chain than us feel the pinch even harder.

I just hope we avoid leaving a title we could win on the table for someone else to collect because we didn’t act now.

11 Likes

Thing is Gomez and Matip are far to unreliable so bring in their replacement. I don’t get why if we bring in a CB it will be a “temporary fix”. The club probably have a list of CBs they wanted to bring in during this summer so bring it forward. The new CB should be VVDs long term partner. We can move Matip on in the summer and Gomez can be 3rd choice.

The only issue we face is that if LFC wanted either one of Leipzig’s CBs we are playing them in CL so that will be hard to pull off.

Re Alaba - its great we are interested (if true) but it doesn’t help us now.

@FabrizioRomano

: “Liverpool have made contact with Alaba’s representatives and are pushing hard to make it happen.” “Liverpool don’t want to spend a lot of money in January transfer window, they are planning for something interesting next summer."

7 Likes

Article from August. Updated today. What exactly is the update here?

2 Likes

Can’t wait to hear the Kop belting out Barry Manilow if we sign this lad.

13 Likes

:joy:

Oh Mandi

5 Likes

Nah, he’s crap.

3 Likes