The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Take a look at Everton’s accounts. Losses in quite a few recent years, stadium to pay for and missing the same revenue we are with grounds being shut.

Still able to fork out for players every summer. Spurs are borrowing money and still buying players.

Its not a clever long term strategy but there are ways to finance deals if the club were inclined to do so. If they choose not to then that’s different from not being able to.

7 Likes

Not putting this in the Twitter thread as I don’t know if we were ever properly linked with Balogun, but here we go, we might be one of those 15 clubs.

2 Likes

Their Finances are in a fucking state… They took a huge loan in the summer to buy players, offset by a very rich Russian (in the background).

Honestly the reckless ambitions of some on here would put us bankrupt before the season ends.

3 Likes

As I said, the choice is between won’t and can’t. You said they can’t, this shows they won’t.

And that is fine. It might cost us another title but the alternative is very uncertain right now.

But if we really wanted to we could. As Pearce has pointed out, we’re looking but would only move now if something changed in terms of the purchase price or maybe we saw someone move on and it brought in some extra cash.

If selling origi allowed us to then buy a centre back we’re not talking about an amount that we’d need to borrow that would risk the financial stability of the club. Especially if said loan came interest free from the owners. The fact we can and do borrow the money for things like new stands and a new training grounds shows that there is the facility, capability and willingness to borrow money for certain things and repayments are managed as such so as not to put undue pressure on the finances of the club.

It is pure hyperbole on your part to suggest this is reckless or that we’d risk bankruptcy. There is zero evidence to support that.

9 Likes

Whilst the window is open we mustn’t forget how cold it is outside and the added cost of central heating,not seen it mentioned but it would be stupid to ignore the extra costs this brings.

10 Likes

Maybe just take a breathe dude and calm down.

Dont think anybody wants the club to act in reckless manner but you posting stories from the press doesnt really prove anything. I can post the story where we said we would be giving Danny Ward his chance at GK a week before we paid a world record fee for Ali.

Yes there has been lost revenue from no matchday attendance but you do realise its not the only revenue stream the club has. Nor does it take into consideration the massive influx of revenue we received from winning the CL, The Premier League and the Club World
Cup all achieved with a net spend of bugger all really and a wage bill that isn’t the worlds highest, not even the League’s highest.

So yes whilst current revenue is down the club wasn’t started 12 months ago from a 0 start point and given how frugal we have been during a period of great success for the club both on and off field it isnt outside the relm of possibility that we could structure a deal that enabled a CB to arrive this window. Its not reckless or whatever your making it out to be its addressing a crisis situation that will be a key factor in whether we can back up in the League or not.

4 Likes

With Klopps statements today I’m more convinced than ever that a CB is likely coming in from a club desperate to sell that are trying to hold us over a barrel and charge a premium due to our crisis situation.

1 Like

Learn to read, I said Everton took a huge loan in the summer to buy players (loads of clubs did). I’d be very wary of us doing similar in Jan when the world remains a completly unstable place.

Selling Origi to fund a signing is great, it’s the perfect scenario. Where did I say that’s not a preferred option? My point throughout has been we currently do not have the money to sign a long term target for an inflated Jan price (even if they are available) unless they give us very favourable terms.

Anyway fuck this discussion, its the most pointless I’ve had in a long time. Imagine ignoring the raft of information available out there about how finely tipped all clubs around the world’s finances currently are.

Sorry for engaging in debate on a public forum where my opinion slightly disagrees with yours.

I’m sure with your superior reading and research skills you’d be able to locate any number of pieces that show we have borrowed and will continue to borrow money from our owners at levels far beyond what it would take to buy a decent centre back in a market where other clubs are financially struggling far more than our own and therefore may be open to making a deal.

We’d get what, £10-£15m for Div? If all it took was a loan of that amount from the owners to give us a better chance of winning the league then where is the risk to the club?

For the third time, it is not a case of we can’t do this, it is a case of choosing not to. And that is fine, it’s the way we are run. But it is possible and it wouldn’t risk the financial stability of the club.

If you’re looking to return your toys to your pram I think they’re over there somewhere ->

8 Likes

And I thought my Ramos link would stir things up.

6 Likes

Yeah what Klopp said, basically we are working on things. Interesting that he said all things being ok they would.

Might be a loan or permanent small fee for one of those with 6 months left. We will see soon enough, however with the Villa situation it’s basically given us a fair bit of time to work on it/or get Matip back.

2 Likes

This is available;

1 Like

Imagine the outcry if Liverpool tried to use that scheme.
#Nobias.

1 Like

That’ll cover Mesut Özil’s wages for a couple of weeks.

7 Likes

Funny way of spelling Liverpool that Gary has.

Sadly no room for that Dinosaur type character in the budget though.

Few more Kia clients… Well…

1 Like

Did the survey come with a free school meal depending on your answer.

15 Likes

Doesn’t any club have business interruption insurance?!

2 Likes

Just want to add my tuppence worth to the club finance situation.

Yes, we have a big covid shaped hole in our finances. 100M and likely growing. So ALL fans understand that this is not going to be a time to be reckless in the market.

However, we do have a big need in central defence. If the right player is available at the right price, we are a big enough organization that the means could probably be found to do something, even if it means depending on a loan from the owners to tide us over.

They are rich businessmen. They know that our sporting prospects might be significantly boosted with a key defender added. Our sporting prospects will, in turn, boost our financial prospects. At least to a point. Nobody is talking about becoming Ridsdale’s Leeds United.

So, me might sign someone. We might not. Or it might be a loan.

No need to get into a twist over it, and no need to fall out with fellow reds. I think we all know the score about the times we are living in.

4 Likes

Everton have funded their most recent splurges by load debt into the club. A high risk strategy in a pandemic and one that could easily go tits up. Not one I’m keen on.

2 Likes