The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Completely bullshit hot-take incoming…

I am nervous about another Portuguese focused target. We know this area was Ward’s previous remit and continuing going there for our new singings makes me concerned of a too narrow a focus taking shape

5 Likes

Yeah it’s a fair say, but goddamn if we haven’t had great luck with players bought from there lately. Nunes looks the bollocks, and I’m going to guarantee that he WILL be at a top European club within the next six months. We have a pressing need for CMs, not just because of Thiago, but because Hendo has been declining for a while now, Millie is just too old, and Keita also can’t really be relied upon. Elliott and Carvalho could both turn out to be superstars, but they’re a few years off from being able to be relied upon as full-time starters.

Nunes and Bellingham to follow next summer could solidify our core for at least the next few years, and we can then turn our focus into long term replacements at CB and right-sided forward.

3 Likes

I have only seen the YouTube clips but he looks very promising. I like his size too. Obviously the club will know every last detail there is to know, so if we bring him in it will help us both today and tomorrow.

With question marks over the availability of a few of our midfielders, Matheus helps us right now. And then with one or two aging out over the next year or two, and one or two presumably moving on if and when contracts wind down, there is plenty of room for Matheus now and Bellingham next summer.

It might be greedy, but I’d be happy to see something like that.

Bellingham, Matheus, Elliott, Jones, Carvalho, Bacjetic. That is a fantastic crop of young midfielders. Add Henderson to take on the Milner role, and Fabinho to play and steady the ship, while passing on his nous to the new breed, and we are in business. (I could be wrong but I suspect Thiago might wind his time down in an easier league from next season on, as the Prem is so rough and tumble that it is not the place to have your heels snapped at constantly, while dealing with an increasing amount of niggly injuries).

3 Likes

Or maybe Portugal is just producing alot of cost effective talent at the moment?

2 Likes

I’m not bothered where a player is from. Our two most recent Portugal purchases were South American. The league seems like a great place for emerging stars to cut their teeth before moving to the likes of us. Matheus looks a good player. I’d be happy with him to help boost our ranks this season, then go all in to add Bellingham next year.

Obviously you can’t go overboard based on one iffy draw, but I thought we were out hustled in the engine room, and while better quality will usually prevail, there are a lot of athletic teams in the Prem who will get stuck into us in the midfield, as it looks like they might get some change there.

5 Likes

James Pearce had pissed on it anyhow.

3 Likes

He “believes” we’re still not interested in Nunes. There is a difference between believing something and knowing it to be correct. He does seem to be out of the picture these days.

3 Likes

If he thinks it’s got a chance he doesn’t say a word.

2 Likes

Don’t think Pearce is as connected to the club as he was. Still feels like he hasn’t lose reliability in the eyes of people due to those old connections even though he has. Joyce is the only man to follow imo

1 Like

Personally I’d rather follow Melissa Reddy - a much more pleasent vi…

Oh, you ment in terms of being a reliable source of info :rofl:

4 Likes

That voice hurts my ears.

2 Likes

According to Simon Jones of the Mail we have pulled out of signing the lad from Sporting.

Sue Cook’s pulled out.

3 Likes
1 Like

Guy on the right…genuinely thought we’d signed Nunes…then I scrolled down and saw the title.

Are you referring to Oakley?

1 Like

Yes I am.

He looked Portuguese and he looked about 22.

1 Like

18 and by all accounts one to watch.

1 Like

Heard he’s good at quick throw ins….

1 Like

Luka Sucic has attracted interest from Liverpool ahead of a move next summer, with Klopp watching the midfielder during the recent friendly with Salzburg and “he was not disappointed” with what he saw. [Salzburger Nachrichten]

1 Like