The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I’m not sold on Enzo yet, especially for the vast sums mentioned. Much better paying the extra reqd for Jude than on a player that may not thrive in England. Don’t think we can afford both and, if we could, I’d prefer Rice alongside Bellingham - much lower risk transfer.

2 Likes

Not to stereotype an entire continent, but I think the emotion of South Americans tends to be a good fit for Liverpool

2 Likes

If we had the money for Tchouameni last summer we’ve probably got that to spend. Also if we did get Fernandez and Bellingham then I would imagine summer 2024 would be limited purchases.

Hopefully some of the youngsters being given game time can be real prospects for the first team.

3 Likes

I think everything is in flux, only the club know what we have and don’t have to spend.

Deals may or may not be in place on ownership or shares within the club.

If there is any truth in our interest then I suspect any deal for the club or part of it is far further than we know

1 Like

On Enzo - can’t help but feel us being linked with him so heavily right now is just another Tchouameni in the making.

Agents doing agent things, media doing media things, and he’ll end up at PSG playing alongside Messi, replacing Di Maria as his Argentinian mate in the ranks.

2 Likes

Enzo = Tchoumeni

Amrabat = Bissouma

Unfortunately feel the same. Young South American player. Why is he so fixated on an English club managed by a German? In Nunez’s first day video he says he didn’t know Liverpool had won so many trophies. Unless there is some sort of connection we don’t know about, this might very well be to just use our name to improve his prospects. Everyone knows at this point that Liverpool doesn’t do dud transfers.

What they don’t know (or seem to ignore) is half the reason our transfers end up being successful is because of our coaching staff.

1 Like

One of the alarming things about young players, especially global ones, is they don’t necessarily know much about our history. What they do know is we contest the Premier League and Champions League, are one of the top teams, and we compete where the money is.

My hope is that when they have been here, something else happens that money can’t really buy.

But I suppose that’s the difference between a fan and a player.

2 Likes

We would have to be buying 40 year olds if you were trying to find that history knowledge, and I think you do Klopp a disservice he is Jurgen Klopp he is respected throughout football.

The fact the club is still riding high (bar the last 3 months) will attract.

I’m generally happy with what the club buy, I don’t think we are particularly centred on Enzo and Jude or nothing.

I do feel a deal has to be done this winter mind.

1 Like

Not really. Any player can go online and read up on our history. If I were a footballer and linked to a club, first thing I’d do is my research.

5 Likes

I know most club’s general history and that’s without investigating deeply, just information picked up through watching/following footy.

1 Like

Pretty weird that any player doesn’t know the general history of major European clubs.

4 Likes

It’s the modern generation.

Football only started in 1992 or whenever they watched their first game, whichever came later.

4 Likes

I also wonder if it’s part of football just being a job for some players. Something they’ve been groomed into since the age of 5, but not necessarily their own personal love. Gareth Bale, for example, probably knows more about golf history than he does football.

3 Likes

I’d imagine most people with even a passing knowledge of golf have a general understanding that Jack Nicklaus was great. I’d also imagine that with all the contemporary media focus on Tiger that they’ve been exposed to in their life, most dont appreciate that in almost every measure of dominance Jack’s record was actually better than Tiger’s. Sometimes you can understand in general terms that someone or something is considered a great but the extent of it doesnt sink in until you stand in front of the trophy wall and take it all in.

1 Like

Hard to relate when my own knowledge of football, and I’d imagine most of us given that we take the time to post on a football forum, is that of a passionate love of the game rather than just a general understanding of who the best teams and players are.

I get that some, maybe most, players don’t have the same level of interest as passionate fans but I can’t really relate to it.

1 Like

Footballers “reading”? of course they can who says Enzo hasn’t? We did lose out to the CL winners to be fair, they aren’t a former glory.

I assumed the comment was about people from a family who knew our history? End of the day players who come here come because we are competitive for trophies. They don’t generally sack it on the bench if Enzo wants to come, then great if not then fair enough.

I think the rose tinted need to know everything about the club is something that won’t happen, Bellingham seems to have a reds background from what I’m hearing.

Nunez will know we’ve been in 3 CL finals in 6 years, he know who Klopp was. It becomes an issue when we became a bit shit.

2 Likes

Took me many years to get my head around it wasn’t the actor…

1 Like

It isn’t?

:sob:

Even hotel newsletters are reporting it now

1 Like