The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

It comes down to Enzo is my gut feeling.

If hes happy to move to one of a number of clubs, Benfica will want the highest bidder in terms of upfront payment. If he has his heart set on where he wants to go (and nowhere else), Benfica will accept a structured deal.

What is it with this Enzo guy? Latest flavour of the month it seems?

(Thatā€™s where you can see that I didnā€™t watch a minute of the latest world cup, Iā€™ve literally no idea who this guy is, apart from the fact that heā€™s Argentinianā€¦ :joy:)

4 Likes

Latest flavour of the last few months, people were drooling all over him even before the World Cup started.

Plays for Benfica
Is 21 years old
A good looking boy just like our Darwin.
& you now know heā€™s a World Cup winner.

So thereā€™s 4 more things you know about him.

Fits the mould.

2 Likes

Ok I see, another player whom Benfica hope to sell for mega-money. I hope that there is more to him than coming from the Portuguese league, being young/good-looking and a world-cup winner though. DiomĆØde was a world cup winner tooā€¦ :wink:

(He wasnā€™t that young and not very good-looking, maybe thatā€™s why he failed with us? Oh and of course, he didnā€™t come from the Portuguese league, how could I forget thatā€¦)

1 Like

Yes unless youā€™re good looking, you have no chance of making it with us Iā€™m afraid.

Andy Carroll Fabio Borini Andriy Voronin David Nā€™gog Christian Poulsen Paul Konchesky Milan Jovanovic Lazar Markovic Charlie Adam El Hadji Dioufā€¦jesus I might actually be onto something here.

& I actually thought Diomede did wonders for usā€¦I still miss him to this day.

Iā€™m nonplussed about the Enzo one.

He only joined Benfica in July this year from River Plate, so unsurprising that he hit radars at the World Cup. Seems that people in the know (that follow South American or Portuguese footy) rate him - one of these players thatā€™s going places.

I watched bits of the world cup, and he played really well - but the hype trainā€™s on a big roll about him right now and the numbers banded about are a bit wild.

Still think, as I posted a couple of days ago, that our names been thrown in the transfer gossip as itā€™s easy to do so, and he will be going to PSG or similar.

3 Likes

Given how successful our transfers have been over the last few years, if I were an agent looking to suggest that my player is a bit better than you think he is, Iā€™d be spreading rumours linking him to Liverpool too.

4 Likes

A bit like Suarez in 2010. Some rumblings before the world cup that we were interested (this time with him being on our radar while still back in Argentina), which focused our attention on an under the radar player you might not have otherwise have paid a lot of attention to and saw an absolutely smashing player.

2 Likes

100% - and therein lies the giveaway - If we were interested in Enzo, I imagine there would be very little noise in the media linking him to us. Maybe Pep mentioning him yesterday (twice) in the presser is just to keep the rumours flying whilst the club sort out the deals for players they actually want.

I love silly season - canā€™t help but try to unpick what the fucks going on - knowing fine well itā€™s mostly BS. This silly seasonā€™s just wilder given the World Cup finished a few days ago!

1 Like

I donā€™t see why not, a fair number of our signings in the last few years have generated noise in the media before the deals were confirmed.

Absolutely - but a number of them have come in on the down low too. Anythingā€™s possible really.

To be honest, Iā€™d be happier if we confirmed Jude in Jan (for the summer) and Enzo goes elsewhere (non-PL), than get Enzo now and miss out on Jude.

All In Poker GIF by PokerStars

1 Like

I donā€™t think we can always control the noise around transfers. When we can, we do. If it is a player that everyone wants, and the eyes of the footballing world are on it, such as Bellingham or Enzo, there are too many communication strands and vested interests to suppress.

Before Enzo came to prominence there were some other South American midfielders being mentioned, such as Joao Gomes. Gomes hasnā€™t got a big move to Europe yet, but maybe thatā€™s the sort of profile Klopp had in mind when he called for more risk. I.e. we knew there were good players - Guimares, Enzo, Gomesā€¦ and it was better for us to make a move before they blow up to the 100M level.

Could be wrong on the interpretation of what Jurgen meant, but I think it was more than just taking a risk and going big, financially. Yes, it probably includes that too, but I also got the sense that he wants players of the Guimares and Enzo profile before they become big stars.

At that point, Iā€™m mentioning Joao Gomes again. Maybe we get him for 30-40M and he quickly shows he is every bit as good as the likes of Enzo and Guimares.

Then the relative savings, having bought Gomes in January, mean that we follow through on all the good prep work we have done on Bellingham and bring him here in summer.

Jobs a good un. Bellingham and Gomes.

The welcome mat is rolled out by the English and Brazilian contingent already here, and they settle and shine quickly.

Argentinian done well in the World Cup? I think Alexis Mac Allister is better suited.

1 Like

I can remember @Zoran going wild about Suarez at the time when he was with Ajax. :blush: And indeed, after watching him play a few times, I quickly jumped on the bandwagon too. What a player he was!

2 Likes

Having said that, I do think Enzo is a player we really like and I would not be surprised if we were in for him.

The ā€˜no noiseā€™ stuff is only really a thing for the local patch - we canā€™t control the leaks at other clubs. A lot of the time itā€™s the reliable journos from the other country that are breaking this stuff. The Nunez stuff was broken out of Portugal.

1 Like

According to this Portuguese newspaper, Benfica turned our ā‚¬100m offer down and is only willing to let him go for the release clause of ā‚¬120m :scream: :sunglasses:

I suppose the difference covers Riverā€™s sell on %. Apparently theyā€™re due a decent wedge.

Whereā€™s the extra ā‚¬20m, John?

1 Like

In his backpocket and he needs it to buy that new NBA team in Vegas.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s more telling that there hasnā€™t been any denial by journoā€™s our side. We have little problem with doing that lately, but we canā€™t control leaks from the Argentine/ Portuguese side. That seems to be the norm with our transfers these days the leaks coming from the other players side.

2 Likes