The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

The box is yours

1 Like

Not necessarily.

On my Liverpool save on FM, I managed to sign both of them in the same window.

Granted I did have to sell Thiago for 25M and Elliott for 60M to afford them both

But with a few smarts, it can be done :wink:

I expect we would switch back to a standard back four with wing backs. We do that at times during a game anyway so I don’t think it would be a major issue.

1 Like

This has been my thing with it all along. We’re building a team around a very distinct type of player, one we don’t have another of and that we’d struggle to find another of too.

I hope we go back to a more conventional set up next season. Even if that means bringing in a right back and having Trent primarily as a midfielder that’s able to cover right back or be an option there if needs be.

For a long time we struggled when we didn’t have Bobby available because we didn’t have another player who could do what he did. We ended up shifting players around to cover his absences and if he didn’t play well, we generally didn’t play as well. We’ve then brought in Thiago who is entirely different to all our other midfielders. And when he’s not available, which is all too often, then we have to change to account for is absence.

We need to flexible and adaptable but we can’t be building an unconventional system around one unicorn type player. Add in the fact our current RB alternatives are Gomez (woefully out of form and primarily a CB), Milner (off at the end of the season) and Ramsey (injured and untested), it seems a big risk.

1 Like

I’m a bit old school here I think, I hope we just start playing Trent in midfield and find a passable RB. The RB we have out on loan, Bradley, did really well, won player of the season for Bolton. Give him a shot. Or switch Hendo and Trent. Let Hendo take the Milner role as his legs go. Or buy someone from Hull for 10 mil and make him the best RB in the world. You know, the traditional ways we do things.

4 Likes

The problem is that if Trent gets moved to midfield, our next RB will be on a hiding to nothing. People will expect him to do what Trent has done for years now- and it’s almost impossible for Bradley, Ramsay, or anyone else to replicate that.

1 Like

Well, hopefully Trent is still doing Trent things. Get someone who can get up and down the right side, swing some decent crosses in, our RB doesn’t have to be the best player in the team.

If we were to think like that then we may as well retire the RB position.We don’t need another TAA,another Robbo will do.If Ramsey can remain fit he could be that player.

They will also only sell to a Champions League club. Unless that’s in his existing contract, I’m not sure West Ham can dictate which club Rice signs for.

1 Like

I would see what Bradley or Ramsey can do.

I mean I’d be astonished if there were any non CL clubs that could afford 120m for Rice
even if we did pip Utd for 4th we’d be 1 of many CL clubs across Europe who couldn’t afford him.

Probably not, I was just questioning if West Ham can tell Rice where he can and can’t go.

I’d love to know how that kind of conversation would go.

Sullivan - “Afternoon Declan, I’ve called you into my office today to inform you of a potential transfer”

Declan - “Ok cool, I feel like now is the right time for me to move on
I don’t feel like being in another relegation scrap next season anyway.”

Sullivan - “Yeah
anyway, the bid has come from Spurs.”

Declan - “Oh
bummer”

Sullivan - “Yeah, we think you should go
we feel it’d be the right step forward to take for your career, plus we really could do with the money to pay off the Stadium we don’t currently own.”

Declan - “But it’s Spurs
I don’t wanna go there, I’d prefer a proper club like Arsenal or Liverpool.”

Sullivan - “You should go to Spurs, Declan”

Declan - “No”
Sullivan - “Yes”
Declan - “No”
Sullivan - “Yes”
Declan - “No”

I think for us is better Ugarte who is able to make the same job of Rice forhalf a price.

Which is what made this club the best a few years back! I don’t know about the names but I’m in agreement with @Sweeting that our main transfer business will be conducted in that 40-50 million pounds range - unless we make a Coutinho-style sale that funds the next Van Dijk and Alisson. They can get whomever them want as long as those players help us compete for the main trophies once again.

You forgot about Chelsea!

Can see Rice going to Chelsea for Sterling, Kanté (or similar), Gallagher and 20M

1 Like

I like Rice a lot, seems a nice bloke to you know he isn’t going for 120m but I doubt the price he does go for is within our range

Though it’s back to the “we won’t be drawn into a price war” that people want to moan about but Liverpool are wise to state.

1 Like

A lot of arsenal fans think rice will be joining them in the summer.

1 Like

Many people thought he’d end up at Chelsea.

But they went big for Enzo, even if you could argue that their positions/roles don’t clash necessarily (especially in a double-pivot, they would compliment each other) + their dire situation right now.

City have Rodri and United have Casemiro. Leaves Arsenal who might want a player who can compete/replace Partey in the near future, but also play with him.

You could make a case for us, but we’re certainly not going as high this summer for a single player. And then we would also need to find an outgoing option for Fabinho.