The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Yup, think it’s best for him to be moving on to see if he can make it as a number one somewhere and really establish himself. He’s not getting in ahead of Alisson any time soon and he needs to be playing.

Get a good fee for him, have a buy back clause if we think it’s worth it and bank some money to go towards the midfield rebuild.

Both Brighton and Brentford would be great moves for him. Proper switched on clubs where he’s not going to be a flavour of the month signing and if Raya is leaving he’d walk in as number one at both those clubs.

2 Likes

There is no way Adrian will want to leave LFC -
He will tie-wrap himself to the goal before he lets that happen

I personally am not a fan of selling him. From the comments here, those talking about allowing him to move also always have the ‘fee’ somewhere in their post, suggesting that should be a consideration, but I think he is too good to sell. Clubs think they have depth in a particular position until in a blink of an eye they don’t. That could be Alisson down with a long-term injury to his head being turned by a giant like RM.

Fuck the £15-20m we’d get for selling Kelleher. A portion of that can be made up with a small loan fee, but absolutely I would be hoping we are looking to loan out than sell. I feel keepers, and in particular good ones, are fairly easy to loan out. If Kelleher desperately wants a permanent move then fine, but I am not wanting the club to force that just for some pocket change.

I agree, but I suspect at this point it’s very likely he’ll be wanting a permanent move away.

You know what will happen when he leaves and who the second goalkeeper is … :thinking:

If Kelleher leaves we can’t begrudge him that. He looks like a very good goalkeeper in the making, and he has done all he can do here. All he needs now is regular top class action, which he can’t get with Alisson ahead of him.

With regular action Kelleher will either establish himself as a solid Prem goalie (I can’t see lower than that for him) or he might kick on to world class. You just never know.

So to protect the club, we should have a solid buy back and sell on clause in the deal, in case he could be the Alisson replacement, or if not quite that, then we would want a slice of a larger fee if a middling club bought him and doubled their money in a couple of years.

Good luck to him!

And the older goalie from Germany makes a lot of sense as a number two. Pitaluga can then have a run at getting past him.

2 Likes

Too many previously on loan, don’t want another one!

3 Likes

He counts as homegrown and we need to replace Adrian this summer, it would be a good signing and mean we are less in need of English players, hopefully meaning it’s more Mac Allister rather than Mount.

3 Likes

He was on the books at Manchester United between 2005-2010 and played a couple of loan games at Northampton. He basically made it as a professional Hannover. The homegrown rules really are rather spurious.

Just checking his bio, he is a World Cup winner as he was Germany’s third keeper in 2014! That’s his only senior medal, a bit like George Cohen for England.

For a backup keeper he’d be fine. At 34 he has the experience and he won’t mind sitting on the bench. In fact, Jürgen could rant at him in German for a change.

2 Likes

James Rodriguez has been tipped with a remarkable return to Goodison Park this summer just weeks after he left Olympiacos. The Colombian left the Blues after just one season in the summer of 2021 but it has now been claimed that Everton are one of a number of Premier League sides to have enquired about his services.

:joy:

1 Like

Championship would be perfect for him

6 Likes

Premier League Colombia GIF by Everton Football Club

1 Like

I know the consensus is we need 2-3 midfielders rather than spending 120m on one. But is there not an option of committing to Trent in midfield. Then spending budget on an elite midfielder and and elite right back?

1 Like

If Trent’s midfield role is as it looks we would be needing more in the way of dedicated centre backs.

I think we need 2 new mids plus TAA to be moved permanently into midfield.Hendo and Fabinhos legs are gone to some extent so can’t put in the amount of work/energy our midfield needs.Thiago is unfortunately injured quite a lot.Jones is doing great but are we sure he is fully over his injury problems and even then is he good enough to be seen as a must have in our midfield(only time will tell on both those issues).Bajcetic is fairly young and new to the first team.He looks like he has a great future ahead of him but right now he is still learning and so shouldn’t yet be the looked upon to fix the recent problems we’ve had in midfield. I don’t think there’s a need to buy another RB as i think Ramsey looks like he could be very good when his injury issues clear up and along with Bradley and Gomez we should be good there.We do however need a new CB in my opinion as the only 2 we seem to be able to rely on are Konate and VvD and even they have their off days.
2 new mids and a CB is gonna cost.All depends on how much we have to spend but i don’t see us spending 120/130 mp on 1 mid when 2 mids would have a bigger impact overall.

2 Likes

Things didn’t go all that well for him when he returned to Hannover 96 in 2019. I hope he isn’t an older version of Karius, i.e. damaged goods.
After being relegated from the Bundesliga, Stuttgart elected to re-organise its goalkeeping position and to move on from Zieler. Thus, it was announced in June 2019 that he would return to his long-time club Hannover 96, who had also been relegated that season.The club played an underwhelming 2019–20 season in the 2. Bundesliga and failed to return to the Bundesliga after a sixth-place finish. Zieler played as the team’s starting goalkeeper for most of the year but fell out of favour with manager Kenan Kocak. Therefore, at the beginning of the 2020–21 season, the club announced that he was no longer in its first-team plans. In early August 2020, club chairman Martin Kind stirred controversy by publicly belittling Zieler and encouraging the player to seek a new employer.

Adrian hasn’t played a minute this season since the community shield as far as I know, which is as it should be for a 3rd choice keeper.

I don’t understand why buying RRZ is an issue for anyone if it gives us a bit of extra wiggle room with the squad in terms of homegrown players.

5 Likes

What great job he’s got. He’ll be on very decent money as well.

1 Like

Not sure we need two DMs. Need an engine room 8 to go with ONE of those DMs.

Trent’s new role as an inverted full back gets him on the ball a lot, in midfield. When we are in possession it adds an extra midfielder for us, as Trent steps into the role, and the possibilities for overload, or passing to an open man, increase. Then of course Trent’s quality on the ball is such that he can then hurt opponents with a decisive pass, or an assist.

If we moved Trent to the midfield and added another right back, the overload possibility is gone, and much as Trent is a very good player, I don’t think he will have the sort of space we see him getting now, where he is so hard to track and pick up, as he pops up all over the place.

To my mind, we need a CB, a mobile one, to help cover the gaps when we lose possession, as the vulnerability of Trent’s new role is we are out of shape, defensively, for a brief period in transition.

All systems have plus points and minus points, but for us, the plus point of getting Trent on the ball as a playmaker significantly outweighs the minus point of occasionally being exposed.

As for the exposure, let’s say we sign a mobile defensive midfielder like a Ugarte, then in addition to the central defender getting across, this mitigates Trent being ‘out of position’ (in quotation marks because he is playing where Klopp wants him to play, and is not out of position!)

Further, the possible weakness is also mitigated by another all action number 8 - take your pick, we have been linked with several, who are better athletes than the old crop we have been relying on too much.

Bring it on!

Two good midfielders (three if a third can be found for a good price with high upside), Trent in the inverted role, another central defender, and off we go.

4 Likes