The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

What are you on about.

You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky

Isnā€™t he the team cheer leader

With regards to Ugarte Iā€™ve read that Sporting have not given permission to speak to him whilst the league is still playing, could be two plus two etc. but that could be why we have briefed we arenā€™t interested.

I do enjoy reading these clickbait sites for transfer news.

Tottenham backed to complete risky Liverpool signing, as Klopp turns to ex-Man Utd star as immediate replacement.

Kelleher to spurs, while we sign ex man utd keeper Ron-Robert Zieler? Never heard of him

This actually doesnā€™t seem too far-fetched. I think the part that is least likely is Kelleher going to Spurs - heā€™s more likely to go lower down the league and maybe a newly promoted side.

Zieler played six times for Germany and has over 250 appearances in Bundesliga.

2 Likes

Donā€™t mind the Zieler link, not that familiar with him but an experienced no3 is needed with Adrian going, and if heā€™s classed as homegrown thatā€™s a decent bonus.

Sweeting, are there any young GKs coming up you think could step into Kelleherā€™s backup role? Pitaluga maybe?

2 Likes

I think he would be 1st choice at Spurs by November if he were to join them.

In fact, I think he would find himself 1st choice at 2/3 of the teams within the first 8-10 games of the season. Only 2 that he would never dislodge would be Allison and the street thug at Emptyhad.

Pope, DDG and Ramsdale would probably hold their spots for most of the season, but the rest I would think Kelleher would dislodge prioi to December

I doubt he goes anywhere he isnā€™t almost guaranteed to be number one on day one. Not that itā€™d take a lot to oust Lloris but if heā€™s leaving us itā€™s to go somewhere heā€™s expected to start right away.

Such as Brentford whose current goalie has been linked with Tottenham.

Kelleher is unproven and would be a gamble for an upper Prem team. But he might be a calculated gamble, as every time he has played for us, he has looked very assured indeed.

When I say unproven, I simply mean he has not been a number 1 goalie playing first team football.

His level looks at least mid Premier League standard to me, and perhaps with experience he will kick on and prove to be world class.

So I hope we have both a sell on percentage, and a buy back clause, as he might well prove to be good enough to replace Alisson when the time comes. But first he has to prove himself.

1 Like

Would have been excellent signing for say Leicester last summer.

Youbrate him higher than I do. Iā€™d say he is of a comparable level right now to Gavin Bazunu, who went to Southampton. Heā€™s struggled a bit but that Southampton was abject in fairness.

I expect a similar level move for Kelleher of he does indeed leave.

Pitaluga and Davies are the most likely - probably Pitaluga as I think he is slightly more ā€œmodernā€ in his distribution and sweeping ability. The knock I have on Pitaluga is his shot stopping sometimes lets him down. Davies is more solid as a shot stopper but probably a bit weaker away from the goal line.

Both I think are better long term prospects than Kelleher was, because they are better with the ball than Kelleher at their age. Caoimhin has improved that side of his game massively in fairness to him but personally I just see him as the style of goalkeeper that canā€™t make it at the very top end of the game.

Outside of Davies and Pitaluga we have Jaros, Ojrzynski, Mrozek as well as a few others who I donā€™t rate that much like Hewitson and Hughes. Jaros may have a slim chance, he is stylistically similar to Kelleher which holds him back long term but for me, as Iā€™ve said before, he was miles ahead of Kelleher at the same age before his injury. Whether he can catch back up to him, I donā€™t know.

2 Likes

Now this is the news Iā€™ve been waiting for. :crossed_fingers:

https://twitter.com/AnfieldEdition/status/1659221635830775808

3 Likes

In that case, I guess Zieler or whoever comes in as backup and we let one of if not both Pitaluga/Davies on loan.

2 Likes

Sigh ā€¦ :pensive:

Believe it or not, he has a World Cup winnerā€™s medal.

I donā€™t have a strong view about Adrian. Experienced back up, fine. If Kelleher departs, it is up to, say, Pitaluga, to displace Adrian and be the number two keeper at Liverpool.

Thatā€™s what Kelleher did, only once he made it to number two he hit a wall, as he had Alisson in front of him, who is probably the best goalkeeper in the world, or at least in that conversation.

So if we sell Kelleher, we should protect ourselves with an option, in case he kicks on, and rinse-repeat the process with a new up and coming goalie.

It all makes sense. I canā€™t possibly have a strong feeling about the experienced old hand, whether it is Adrian, or Ron Robert Ziggy Zig Ah, or whoever.

1 Like

Everytime Iā€™ve see Kelleher, heā€™s been excellent with the ball at his feet. Nothing has made me think he needs to improve that aspect at all. Different points of view eh?

5 Likes