The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I haven’t seen enough of Pitaluga, but I like Davies. He seemed to me to have good size, but good mobility and good enough distribution. Hopefully one of them can develop like Kelleher.

2 Likes

If that’s in reference to my post then you’ll note I’m comparing him at the age of Pitaluga and Davies - before he broke into the first team. His distribution was a weak point of his game. As I said above he has massively improved that part of his game.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying he is excellent on the ball but he’s certainly more than competant now. A few years ago he was pretty poor.

1 Like

Still not sure if the Zieler deal will happen.

We were linked with Timo Horn too. Free agent next month while Zieler istn afaik. Four years younger and the better goalkeeper imo.

1 Like

Keeper-ing Adrian (anyone see what I did there) :0)… must be a chance that kelleher is on his way

1 Like

Someone on here very confidently told me Jaros was the next up and coming goalkeeper for us. Personally I prefer Pitaluga.

2 Likes

Weren’t we linked to him the same summer we ended up signing Karius?

Don’t know about that but read something recently.

We were, yeah. How serious, who knows.

Me, probably, but not based on this season. I’ve said numerous times that Jaros is the best goalkeeper I’ve personally seen at the academy. Streets ahead of Pitaluga, Davies or Kelleher when he was at his best. Commanding, vocal, great shot stopper, good distribution, never made mistakes - a great young goalkeeper.

Thats a number of years ago now of course and he was massively affected by the arm break and then a head injury he got while out on loan.

He hasn’t been first choice for Stockport this season but to be fair he did actually beat out the established, experienced keeper - Ben Hinchcliffe - but then after getting another injury he gave the place back and Hinchcliffe returned to a much better Stockport side that was consistently winning and therefore he didn’t lose his place again.

Pitaluga is, in my opinion, not as good a goalkeeper as Jaros. He may be a better prospect however just because of his ability to be a sweeper keeper. He’s a lot more raw and has way more aspects of his game that jeed to get better (and may have done since his loan not had a great chance to see yet) like his shot stopping, aerial command and error proneness. Pitaluga definitely surprised me when he came in with just how many basic mistakes he makes.

None of that is to say he can’t be better than Jaros, like I said he’s a better prospect for Liverpool because he can do things physically that Jaros can’t and those physical things - coming off your line at pace to clean up a long ball for instance - are really important skills. He just has an awful lot to improve upon as well.

Jaros’ injuries definotely set him back. The arm break was over a year put of the game and by all accounts he recovered strongly, went to League of Ireland and bossed it over there but after his head injury (I think at Notts County) he’s apparently struggled a bit with some of the braver aspects of goalkeeping - choosing to stay on his line rather than clear a pack and ounch away for example. To me that’s an understandable mental reaction to being knocked unconscious and I hope its something he can get himself past.

Personally I’d keep Jaros at the club this year, send Davies, Ojrzynski and Pitaluga on loan. Make Mrozek the U21 goalkeeper. But if I was betting money I’d say one of Davies or Pitaluga will be the 3rd choice GK

In case anyone is interested the 2nd best academy keeper I’ve seen was Ryan Fulton. He was absolutely brilliant. Probably the most vocal individual player I’ve ever come across, constantly organising and was a tremendous shot stopper. I know some will tell me I’m deluded or stupid for not having Kelleher up there but I can’t stress enough that Kelleher was not that guy for the U18s or U23s.

9 Likes

Many of us have had therapy over several years to try to block that out. Tempted to launch a class action suit against you for the now required time on the couch……

Going Crazy GIF

1 Like

As Fulton is now playing in the Scottish second tier, this unfortunately might suggest that being an outstanding goalkeeper at the youth level isn’t a reliable indicator of much.

I am exhibit A in this case……

This stuff happens though.

Yes I agree, its probably the position that requires more projection than any other because its so rare for someone to go from U21 football into the first team. There is usually a few years as a backup or a transfer in there first.

Liverpool also don’t produce many goalkeepers, to be fair.

1 Like

again with the Atcheburg hate…

1 Like

All the more reason why we shouldn’t let Keveen (sp!) go without a buyback clause. Not a fan of keeping Adrian - sure he may be great in the dressing room but he just can’t be trusted on the pitch.

1 Like

Klopp when FSG don’t give him any funds :joy:

Didn’t know where else to put this but Mason Mount has reportedly signed a new 3-year deal for 250k per week to stay at Chelsea according to Insidesport.

First we miss out on Bellingham. Now it looks like Liverpool won’t be getting Mount either! Yaay!

FSG probably got cold feet after Chelsea demanded 80m. Either that or this was a move by the agent just to get more money from Chelsea by leaking Liverpool’s name!

So on to the next, which midfielder are we NOT signing next because FSG lied that Klopp has a 250m pound warchest this summer to replenish the midfield but keeps balking at making any deals at all!

2 Likes

Calm down the season isn’t over yet. Every year we are rumoured to about 100 top class players and sign about 2-3.

4 Likes

not to bothered about Mount tbh. £80m is a lot for a player with 1 year on his contract.
find it odd how his mate Lampard isnt starting him, i know hes had an injury, but has been fit a while.
he isnt worth £250k a week thats for sure

also…have we missed out on bellingham? we wont know until he does or doesnt sign

2 Likes