The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Think this may not be the worst signing if it happens - particularly together with a “main” midfielder also coming in. He would tick many boxes but hopefully for “only” ~40-50 M.

p.s. apologies if the source/information is unreliable and/or banned

lol … I’ll eat my hat if we’re interested in him.

In a way it would feel like a come down after the Bellingham and Tchouameni ra ra ra but just like the last time round do we go for those types and come away with nothing or do we at least make sure we get someone in. He would be an improvement on all of our current lot.

If I ever wanted this world to burn, or specifically some posters in the owners thread, I would like us not just to sign Ward Prowse but sign him for 80m pounds.

1 Like

We don’t need to sign squad players, we need to sign first team players who relegate the current starters to squad players.

5 Likes

Who would start ahead of him in the current set up? Henderson? Fabino? Elliot? Arguably even Jones? Thiago is injured more often than not and even if Milner and Nabi (who fell into the Thiago category of better but not available) didn’t leave, do they get into the team ahead of him?

Don’t get me wrong, he is no world beater but he is experienced in the league and relatively injury free (we’ll have to wait till be trains with us…). For 40 M, is it not worth taking a punt?

I would rather sign Mount for £60m than JWP for £6m.

Even that seems steep for a backup for Trent on set pieces.

Doubt there’s an ounce of truth to it though.

2 Likes

Isn’t it just someone saying he would be.

Of course he is entitled to his opinion but it’s bollocks.

1 Like

Or…he is entitled to his bollocks opinion

1 Like

Aside from being good over a dead ball, I’ve always felt Ward-Prowse is a bang average footballer.

6 Likes

He is 29 this year, we would need our heads examined to go anywhere near him.

6 Likes

From “his corners are worth £10m” to “his free kicks are worth £50m” in the space of 12 years, that’s football inflation for you…

4 Likes

I wonder what his calling of heads or tails is worth.

Would be an absolutely terrible signing.

3 Likes

Agree with most things being said about JWP but there are a few of things to consider:
Is he better than Fabiano, Henderson and Elliot?
On a side, would not Henderson, Milner or Gini be considered bang on average but w/o the dead ball prowess???
Is he an experienced PL player?
Are we going to get anyone in who is better than the 3 above and with PL experience? Yes, Mac Alister -possibly, but is he so much better and are we nailed on to get him?

I don’t care tbh but it seems that people are quick to look down on these types of signings and rather look to larger gambles. Klopp has never (apart from Thiago possibly) gone for a ball playing midfielder but rather runners that can follow a plan. JWP offers that.

If we get I’m Mac Alister and Bellingham / Tchumanie(?) then great but if not, then for 40M is JWP worth a punt?

No.

4 Likes

Have you seen him when Southampton turn the ball over? He frequently gets overrun. The thing we’ve been complaining about regarding our midfield this season.

And he’s nearly 30. We shouldn’t sign him for a free, never mind for 40M :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Can he run, can he pass, can he put a tackle in and does he stay fit? If so, he’d be an improvement. We’re losing Milner and have an aging Henderson and Fab. Our options are not limitless and if a compromise has to be made it could look a lot worse… we could go for Mac Alister, Mount or Rice (as the smaller part of two signings), who are better but all would cost more.

I think to be fair, a comparison to Hendo and Fabinho and Gini etc is unfair because these 3 have done it all and JWP have done nothing to show he is going to be better.

That said, no one can say 100% that he will bomb here. But you can also understand why for the price you stated at 40m, there are alot of pushbacks because at that level, you have plenty of options that at least on paper alot better than JWP. He would almost be like a Shaqiri to me. Has certain specific skillsets, but never look like coming to any high level required. If he comes at like a 10m squad option, fair enough although like what some say, would spending on a squad option be a priority. Maybe when we have done our main spending and because of injuries or outgoing later in the window, such players will come into consideration.

Happy to have any one of them that has the PL experience.