The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Did Caicedo have any PL experience whe he came in and had a quality first season?

1 Like

Yepā€¦lets replace the engine in our ferrari with hamsters on a wheel.

1 Like

Not sure we would have taken the gamble - wrongly in this case.

1 Like

So why the general whining on the forum regarding the expensive engine?

Not u specifically - just the general whiningā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll punt whoever thought Ā£40m for JWP was worth it into the Mersey if it happens.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t Brighton put him out on loan for 6 months

Ugarte has been linked with us, heā€™s be a young player who has no PL experience either. Anyone coming in will have to acclimatise themselves with our pressing system which takes a high level of fitness. So it doesnā€™t matter whether theyā€™re not from the PL. it has to be the right player.

We made such a big deal with not offering Gini a longer deal because of his age and Thiago is a huge exception as when fit and in form he is genuinely world classā€¦so why would we sign another 29 year old? Even for free?

1 Like

Broadly, having playing in PL alone does not directly translate to being good for us. Or else there are quite big pool that we could possibly sign just based on that alone. We had alot of great signings we sign with great value both with and without PL experience, so paying 40m for JWP just because he has PL experience will not cut it with most people. Again like I said, just based on the player alone, I want to be fair and say that he will definitely bomb here but 40m for a player who has not really shown he is going to be able to go to the next level and because he has a very narrow skillsets is not really going to be value for us, at least on paper.

1 Like

Well it was true for Charlie Adamā€¦:joy:

1 Like

Seriously, any talk of JWP is absolute bollocks. Heā€™s 29 years old. There is no more development. Thatā€™s it now. There is nothing more to come from him.

5 Likes

Unfortunately the only thing he can do is stay fit. Heā€™s very poor on the ball for this level, completes just 1 tackle per game and weā€™ve all seen how he looks when he runs. If it wasnā€™t for his free kicks then heā€™s struggling to start at PL level.

I think heā€™ll end up with someone like Aston Villa, perhaps they see him as a replacement for Douglas Luiz if they cash in (heā€™d be a massive downgrade but maybe they make that mistake).

1 Like

Wait till you see the stats on our starting RCMs for the last few gamesā€¦

I donā€™t want to replace a player who isnā€™t good enough with another player who isnā€™t good enough.

6 Likes

we might be able to get Lavia and Livramento for around Ā£40-60m I imagine. Iā€™d rather we signed them.

hello btw. this is my first post after lurking for ages

8 Likes

I wasnā€™t whining - just making a point via an analogy about cars.

My issue is simply that whilst appreciating that JWP is a footballer with PL experience, heā€™s not good enough for Liverpool if we want to challenge at the top. He could be alright if we are looking to tick a box and bring in a back up player (English, home grown type), but why would you do that with a 29 year old, essentially blocking development opportunities for our youth players - Bajetic and Morton spring to mind, two players that I would much rather on the bench/in the squad.

2 Likes

Stewart Downing was ā€œPremier League provenā€ā€¦

Donā€™t you get it? We need to sign anyone, especially if the fee is Ā£100m+, we need to win the transfer window!

2 Likes

Agree JWP is not a great option for us but LFC donā€™t just buy for development - Thiago and Milner come to mind.

For me this was more about trying to get across that we are not that bad and that it is more about some more legs than ā€œgetting the pair on Bellingham/similar/someone else expensiveā€ā€¦

JWP is a very limited footballer, unlike Milner or Thiago. There is always an argument for signing a player like Thiago at 29. I donā€™t think there is much of one for signing Ward Prowse.

1 Like

Take away his quality right foot/set-pieces and heā€™s sort of a Mark Noble calibre of player.