The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I think the risk of bloating is somewhat overplayed as we could be losing around 8 or 9 outfield players from the squad quite easily (4 have left already, Carvalho and the two young CBs could be going out too).

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not saying we won’t do it. It’s clear that more players will leave than arrive this summer. But seeing some fan’s squad lists here for next season, I don’t see us “carrying” so many players.

2 Likes

Sorry I don’t know why I wrote that? :grinning::+1:

I read the l’Equipe sports newspaper today and I am afraid they have confirmed PSG are going all out for Thuram

Marcus

1 Like

Yep.

2 Likes

These are players who didn’t play and in some cases were not even in our squads. Losing them does not create a hole that needs to be filled. Factor in the non-HG limits and it’s really really difficult to see a third midfielder come in without someone (Fabs or Thiago) leaving. Likewise at CB with Matip.

Zoran’s point about training is a reasonable one as well. It’s important to appreciate that the quality fo the training any player gets is in significant part impacted by how well the other players in their rotation get it. This isnt rocket science so we shouldnt pretend its a massive learning curve, but it is one that is made easier by your team mates getting it right. The more new players there are, especially in your position, having to learn on the fly with you make it harder.

That is why Klopp will typically like the phase these transitions.

2 Likes

Thanks mate :+1:

Plus, it will enable us to introduce more of our best young talents in our trainings, preparations and maybe even some minutes in Europe and cups next season.

If we can’t afford Caicedo or Rice then we should be trying to sign Kone next.

1 Like

I agree about us needing to be less sentimental and a bit more ruthless. I think a club legend like Henderson should stick around as I think he’s a very good influence around younger players, but there is certainly a case to be made that Thiago (purely on injuries) and Fab (purely on form) are both expendable.

I however think the reason you give is exactly why these players need to stick around. It’s not easy integrating new players. Even with a season to forget, we need continuity in our playing style. We likely won’t get that if we played 3, or even 2, new midfielders in our starting lineup from the get-go. So we need those existing players around until the new players can integrate.

It’s probably the best reason why each squad area (defence, mid, forward) shouldn’t be changed radically in one summer. Integrate slowly over a couple or few summers so you have less upheaval.

3 Likes

So would people prefer Kone and Thuram or Caicedo or Rice?

All 4

1.Rice.
2. Caicedo.
3. Kone.
4. Thuram.

Im a fickle bastard. I have spent probably over a year rubbishing the idea of going after Rice - he wasnt good enough for the money we would have to spend and be too minimal an upgrade. After the way the second half of this season played out, and the fee for which we got MacAlister, we could pay the full wack for Rice and I’d still think the cost for the pair would have been reasonable, and he is increasingly to me looking like a great partner to Trent at the base of that midfield 2.

2 Likes

In a 2 v 1 deal, definitely Kone and Thuram over either Caicedo or Rice.

I think Kone can give us what Rice and Caicedo can, and if not quite yet, then with a suitable adjustment to the Prem, and to playing for Jurgen in this Liverpool team, he will be up and running.

So Kone and Thuram all day long.

Oh, and if the price for Thuram creeps up, then I would be happy to substitute him for Veiga.

Or, if we like Szobo, and we can get him at a good price with Carvalho going the other way, I would do that.

The point being, 2 v 1 is much preferred, in addition to MacAllister.

1 Like

20m and he’s yours! I’ll drive him to the airport myself. :slight_smile:

Cheap-SG are NOT paying the extra English premium money for Rice. We know how they operate by now. They won’t pay top dollar when they can get nearly equivalent value for half the price abroad.

And to be fair the rumored lads from France are pretty high quality - Khephren Thuram and Manu Ikone. If they get in those guys to partner with Mac Allister we will be in 100% better shape in midfield than last season.

1 Like

You say they are being cheap but then you say the other lads are fine.

You really should only pay a premium if that guy is one of very few out there who is that good.

Like VVD we played a premium because frankly he seemed to be one of the best defenders in the world outside of a top club and he has proven that.

Alisson is the same. Considering at the same time Chelsea spunked more money on Kepa says a lot.

5 Likes

To be clear, this isn’t being cheap; it’s not being an idiot.

5 Likes