The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Don’t get me wrong. I’d be very happy with Thuram and Kone if they come.

I’m just saying it seems pretty clear that FSG aren’t going to pay the English premium from the way they’ve been operating. When you see them passing on the likes of Bellingham and Mount, it feels unlikely they’re going to pay big for Declan Rice.

2 Likes

Thats right, we all know how they operate base on certain principles but thats not being cheap, calling them cheap when they have been prudent and responsible and getting a good deal in Macalister is taking a cheap shot at the club and the owners.

3 Likes

Carvalho is going to be gone either on loan or permanently.

I wouldn’t be too sad if one of Fabinho or Thiago left. Fabinho looks washed and Thiago is injury prone but quality on his good days.

I think Henderson will stay because he’s the Captain and i can live with a captain who’s not the best midfielder on the squad anymore and just counted on more for leadership and locker room presence but you can’t keep everyone!

With Milner, Keita, Chamberlain, and Arthur gone, there are plenty of spots open now for new players to come in and earn starting jobs. Hopefully we take this opportunity to seriously replenish in midfield!

2 Likes

I agree except for the bit in bold. I don’t think we can expect all three to be reliable backups. Hendo stays as captain and millie style influence obviously and Fabs has more chance of fitting in off the bench in midfield or even FB but I don’t think we can also carry Thiago. I think we need to refresh with 3 signings now. If we then want a smaller midfield he’s the one that should go.

1 Like

I don’t think there is an “English” premium on Rice, as in there is on Mount etc.
Whatever is paid for Rice is paid for a quality player from wherever.

Born leader, exceptional footballer, tremendous athlete and attitude.

1 Like

I also think with Fabinho it’s quite well documented he suffers when he hasn’t got rhythm. That old thing about him taking ages to settle again after injuries or international breaks. Not sure that having him around is useful unless he’s starting regularly. Particularly with the season he’s just had.

Still haunted by that substitute appearance he made against Brighton too.

Bellingham and Mount are interesting examples to use here considering it was well documented we were in for both of them until they themselves chose to go elsewhere.

Is that 'cos he is also partly Oirish?

Because it’s mainly grown in Asia

Mount’s price will be higher not due to English Tax, but because Chelsea need to clear profits (he’s from the academy so all profit), and Manchester United, who look most likely to land him, are absolutely dog shit at negotiating for footballers.

Maguire, Pogba, Anthony, Lukaku, Sancho to name a few - Lukaku the cheapest at 70odd million.

Rice - I’d love him at Liverpool - unfortunately, just don’t see that happening. Arsenal in for him at £92m as reported by the telegraph.

Rice going for Bellingham money is crazy

1 Like

Not sure it is really. I think Rice is massively under rated by a lot, and Jude put on a pedestal.

Jude’s price, with add-ons, looks to be around £115m, and he has 1 year left on his Dortmund deal. EDIT - He has 2 years to run - my mistake.

Rice has 2 years to run on his West Ham contract and is only 24 years old. Seems pretty much what you’d expect these days.

2 Likes

Jack Grealish :roll_eyes:

I guess I wasn’t factoring in the Jude contract thing.

Rice is good, don’t get me wrong, just don’t think he’s the transformative kind of player you’d expect for that kind of money.

1 Like

This, plus 2-3 years ago West Ham were quoted as wanting 150M for Rice according to some papers.

Pretty sure that was a ‘fuck off’ price rather than a serious expectation that someone might pay it.

3 Likes

I also think that Rice in a better team will show a little more going forward as well as defensively. he seems a good all round player to me… and a decent chap and pro.

Price is also dictated by need to sell - 1 year versus two on the contract.

It would not surprise me to see City go for Rice.

Would not be surprised to find Dortmunds valuation of Bellingham was a similar ‘Fuck Off’ price but Madrid actually were prepared to call their bluff.

3 Likes

Not sure they have a need for him with Rodri there already.

1 Like

No he has two years left on his Dortmund contract.

1 Like