The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Mbappe is not happening. We’re not paying anyone 500k a week.

2 Likes

And you know this how please?

Real are never really skint though are they. They’ll flog some land to the local council or borrow from a government backed bank with favourable terms, or flog someone to Man United for three times their worth.

They’ve actually been pretty prudent over the last few years and their net spend in the last decade or so (before the Bellingham deal which hasn’t actually been confirmed yet…) is very reasonable for them, especially given the recent successes.

They’ve got the wages of Hazard, Benzema and Ascensio off the books already freeing up somewhere in the region of £600k-£700k a week. And there’s Kroos, Modric and Ceballos to potentially go too. Worst comes to worst they could sell a couple players to finance some of the transfer fee or get creative like PSG did and loan him this season with a commitment to buy him next summer.

If they want to do it they will. Only question for me is what it would mean for Vinicius or would they push to play him or Mbappe centrally.

2 Likes

The only place Mbappe is going is Madrid, however, that might mean Madrid are open to selling one of their stars. They might have to.

2 Likes

If RM have to take one or the other (Jude or Kylian), can we just stump up the cash for Jude please.

Or take Jude on loan with Madrid to cover wages with an optional fee of £150M

End of season, opt to not make the transfer permanent, then go back in with a loan offer later in the window. Rinse and repeat till his contract expires and we can sign him for free.

Real Madrid are not really skint though. If they really want to do a deal this summer they can - there may be an issue with it affecting their transfers over the next few years though but that might be something they are happy with.

For example in 2019 they spent big (350m euros) bringing Hazard and others into the club, while recouping 150m euros, then pretty much focused mostly on selling players for the next few seasons making transfer profits of 100m and 50m the next two seasons and even last year with the sale of Casimiro making a 12m euro profit.

I haven’t see the latest financial results but they had debt of 150m euros on the club side (and 850m on the stadium rebuild side) a year or so ago.

Have just said exactly this in the Twitter thread…

1 Like

Real has plenty of wages freed up by players going out of contract. They will have even more if Kroos and Modric do not sign any extension. So finances are absolutely not an issue at all.

2 Likes

And also not interested in Mbappe. No doubt one of the best in the world. But I am happy to leave these players for the irresponsible rich clubs to continue splashing ridiculous money for players who are simply not financially sensible.

2 Likes

Well, we’ve got to have something to occupy our minds until football restarts. Apparently it kicks off again on July 20th in Oz and NZ. In the meantime, I’ll fantasize about Mbappe.

Elliot can replace Mo, no problem.

Both are expected to sign, I think it’s verbally agreed. But Real should be alright even with that.

On the topic above, well, the unreliable thread is always a thin line between unreliable sources and some total rubbish or wish discussions.

I never took Dave seriously. I think he takes things from elsewhere also. Probably alright for the unreliable thread, but it’s not that I will miss him.

1 Like

We’re one step off having a colour coded system for sources of rumours aren’t we.

I suggest we use various shades of brown with dark brown being complete and utter bullshit and gradually getting to a lighter beige shade for something with an ounce of reliability about it.

1 Like

I don’t think you could choose two better players for the DM and RCM roles in Tchouameni and Valverde. Come on FSG you bloody mingebags get it done :thinking:

You’re a mod… make it happen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can we add AnfieldEdition to that also please? The guy who runs it worked for the same organisation as owns that rag. Also just posts bullshit for clicks.

3 Likes

Yes, makes sense to do that :+1:

3 Likes

That is the big wrinkle, but also would epitomize Real to wait until the player the paid a silly fee several years ago has finally grown into a star in his own right before then spending a fortune on the only player in world football who is inarguably above him in the pecking order who has the same favoured position and has made noise at his current club about not playing there.

1 Like

You’ve ust summed up 99.9999% of twitter

Of course I don’t know this! I’m chatting shite in a transfer forum, like most :joy:

If you want to get forensic about it, the part you are quoting is talking about what would need to happen for this to even have a chance, not any insider knowledge.

But if we are going to hold each other to better standards on the unreliable rumour thread, here is what I really think about Mbappe:

1. Brilliant player.
  2. Could easily play on the right in our team, if Mo went to PSG
  3. Not going to happen!
  4. Chiefly because we can’t afford it, even if the fee was somehow doable with a year left and a favorable exchange with Mo - I’m not pushing him out the door, just seeing PSGs need, Mo’s friendship with their owner, and PSGs desire to try to keep Mbappe away from Real Madrid - but…
  5. The wages! They are obscene. And even if he took a drastic pay cut he would still be our highest paid player, by a margin
  6. In turn, that has a way of upsetting squad harmony
  7. Speaking of squad harmony, Mbappe isn’t squeaky clean. Early on, no issues, but as his star grew, he wanted to pick the team, coach the team, and be the Sporting Director too. No thanks to that sort of ego… stay in your lane!

Anyway, all things considered, Mbappe is a nice thought, but it is no more serious these days than giving a passing thought to what one would do with a Powerball or Euromillions jackpot. A pleasant thought for a moment, but not realistic and not worth the time of day.

Our needs are clear.

MacAllister in the bag. Nice start.

Two more midfielders needed. If only one, it will be disappointing, but with the emergence of Bajcetic and Jones, I could just about live with only signing two midfielders for now, so long as another is coming in as the old guard ages out in the near future.

Thuram, Kone, Veiga, Gravenberch - there are lots of exciting players around, attainable, good now, but with plenty of further development to come, which is what we specialize in under Klopp.

Oh, and a defender is needed too, probably a left footed cb. Inacio and Van de Ven seem most likely, but we will have to see.

1 Like