The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Sarr was my first thought, as we’ve been linked with him previously. But he didn’t have a great season this past year.

To replace Mane?
Really?

1 Like

I completely agree we need a midfielder, and if not Tchouameni, then someone of that sort of age who has every chance of bossing it for years to come. We have a lot of older midfielders. They are very good, but evolution needs to happen. By all means we should keep Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago, but sign someone to put the shits up them, who will eventually take over, along with Elliot and possibly Jones.

If we sign a player from a relegated team, Sarr would be my pick too.

There’s still a gap to Mane though, so I can understand the disquiet.

1 Like

If we sign Kane, I might start supporting Spurs.

1 Like

He’s not that far off the Southampton Mane though

2 Likes

Also have Elliott and Jones that were forwards coming up through their youth days, but only once in the first team did we see them getting dropped in to the midfield. Then we also have Carvalho coming in, although in his case I think he will spend preseason with the first team, then drop into the 23’s before going out on loan in Jan if we can find a P/L team that will actually play him so he might be one for 2023/24 season

Which players have we signed from relegated clubs?

Xherdan, Robbo, Gini, Ings, Crouch?

A cheeky bid for Martinelli, he wants CL football.

3 Likes

If we were to take anyone from Arsenal, I personally would prefer we go for Saka.

Seems more well rounded and comes across as someone that would likely be a better fit within our squad personality-wise

3 Likes

One thing we have lacked long term is the ability to score goals from midfield.

I keep on seeing Carvalho and seeing a young Coutinho. I am hoping we look to playing 4 attacking players with an AM. As mentioned with the 5 subs, instead of finding a like for like replacement for Mané, I would like us to buy a couple of players, maybe another forward, but also one more Carvalho type player, and have more rotation and spread the goals but in particular assists around.

I think we might see Klopp tactically trying something different knowing that the forward line is going to pretty much be replaced in 12 months. And him with 4 years, it’s a good time to do it and roll it out.

1 Like

A bit hot and cold, i know hes young but I would prefer Martinelli. :wink:

I would take Saka, Martinelli or Smith-Rowe. Would love to see what Klopp could do with them. He already expressed admiration for Martinelli didn’t he?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t take any of the three to be honest. I think Saka is overhyped with being English and the other two flatter to deceive.
I am open to being proved wrong of course, if any manager can make them great uts Klopp.

I like to call out English hype as much as anyone, but that’s not Saka. Since the penalty miss, I’d say he’s been underhyped. He’s rough about the edges, but he’s already very good and I can’t see a way he doesn’t get better.

6 Likes

Both would be great options, Robbo said Saka was one of the hardest players to mark this season and he felt it was one of his best performances to keep him quiet.

I’d add Bowen to the mix, I think he’d be brilliant here, has exactly the background and character to go along with the right skillset.

1 Like

I like Saka and Martinelli but not as first choice players here, don’t think they’re ready to be in a side expected to win games every week.

They were 2 of Arsenal’s best players though which is impressive at their age. Both have loads of pace and carry the ball well.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t you expect us to be Salah, Diaz, Jota or Bobby as “1st choice”? With someone who comes in getting their 6 months bedding in period, hence us bringing forward Diaz as he is actually the Mane replacement.

Arsenal fucking up getting CL does mean they would be attainable, aren’t they down to 2 years left on their contracts?

1 Like

Thoughts on Bowen?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, if they all stay.

After this week I’m half expecting Mo to renege on what he said the other day and decide he’s off to Everton.

3 Likes