The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Also…

Thiago’s average games per season before Liverpool: 33.3
Thiago’s average games per season at Liverpool: 32.3

Nothing has changed, he was never a 50-games per season player, not even at Barca and Bayern.

We knew what we were doing when we bought him, he wasn’t suddenly going to play much more than he always did in his career, especially coming to a more intense league.

And yeah, unfortunately we didn’t have him until the final part of his career. Although when Bayern won the CL, he was playing as one of the best midfielders in Europe at the time.

I bloody hope we can have players like peak Thiago (his one was at Bayern) in the future, regardless of our playing style and regardless if they can only manage 30-40 games per season max.

It also has to do with perception from us fans. We are paranoid sometimes, but football doesn’t stand still. We didn’t have enough of quality midfielders of these types in decades. So, we have failed to learn and appreaciate them. It’s not all about running and distance covered.

In the summer and in the next few windows, there was absolutely room and possibly need for both a player of Thiago’s qualities and also a new player of Gini’s qualities. We have consistently tried to add new layers to our principles, which we have damaged last season due to a number of reasons.

In my time following Liverpool, dear me, I’ve seen some low levels of quality from midfielders. Some really top ones, but a lot of ones who weren’t good enough. The last thing on my mind is to moan when we bring a Thiago.

3 Likes

Looks like I was proven right! Thank goodness! Welcome to Liverpool Szoboszlai!

Thiago is a brilliant player. But he’s rarely healthy and available for matches and on top of that he’s on high wages. If Liverpool will offload one midfielder this summer, he makes the most sense to go.

1 Like

Yes you were VJC, we both were!!!

1 Like

I’m all for keeping him for 1 more year. Invaluable experience is my reason. On his day, he’s also Boss.

Was this when we had to play midfielders, loan players and academy players at the back?

Was this the season he gave his all while having frustrating contract talks at the same time?

Has to be one of the seasons he barely missed a game.

The season he played through injuries just to make sure we somehow still finish in the Top4, right?

1 Like

Liverpool Thiago can not lace Liverpool Wijnaldum boots.

1 Like

Loop Trump GIF

2 Likes

Finally someone else actually with the same thoughts on Gini as me, yes he did brilliantly for us but as you say he also had limitations especially in the final 3rd and on many breaks he slowed it down when we had numbers, seems a lot of rose tinted glasses.

Also teams against us are now more progressive and we need players that can beat the press with progressive quick passing.

However, with the emergence of Trent and Thiago’s injuries and wages, if a good offer came in I think it would be wise to consider.

1 Like

Hahaha Thiagos only issue is his club decided to demand he played like a peak Kante for 59 games a season.

He’s a fucking beautiful footballer, I can’t wait to see him playing with an actual midfield again.

18 Likes

No doubt, but assuming Lavia or some other CM comes in, we all of a sudden have like 10 players for 3 positions. I love watching Thiago and think he’s still one of the best at what he does, but if we got an offer in the 15-20M range, I’d offload him. Save on the wages and complete the rebuild. If Hendo were to leave I’d worry that we’re losing too much leadership in the locker room, but if it helps fund the purchase of a top CB, then you’d have to consider it.

1 Like

Szoboszlai, Hendo. Elliot
Mac Allister, Jones, Thiago
Lavia, Fabinho, Bajcetic

Who’s the 10th?

Perfect depth imo.

I have a feeling Bajcetic will start to get minutes in the Trent position.

Was MOM in semis and final that year. Watched both and he was a different gravy. Was so excited when we bought him and he has been a beautiful player to watch. Always think he takes a few games to get up to speed, if he doesn’t break down before that

2 Likes

Has he ever played right back?

1 Like

Trent’s position is hardly right back, and he played center back before yes.

1 Like

Not for the first team but he was played RB when he first joined us from Celta Vigo.

2 Likes

Nah he’s got back problems. :woozy_face:

I’ve been offered shit loads more than I currently earn to go and work in Saudi.
No thanks.

5 Likes

I would but then I’m a whore and happy to admit it.

1 Like

NON Breaking News Stories - Away End - General Chat - THE ANFIELD NOISE

1 Like