The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Yeah, I never rated him as a journalist. Always sounded more like a fan putting 2+2 together and having guesses. But still, doing what he does, he might have ‘some’ informations, so that makes him ideal sometimes for the reliable threads and sometimes the unreliable one.

:joy:

If Bobby does go over there, it wont be a complete shock. After all, he does support Bolsonaro. Bobby just doesn’t align as closely to our core values as we thought.

1 Like

Firstly, I think that if Thiago does end up being surplus to requirements, it will not be because of Lavia’s arrival, but MacAllister’s (or Thuram’s, for that matter). This for both homegrown and playing-position reasons.

Secondly, Thiago, sadly, has missed 21 games in 2020/21 (17 of which were from a knee injury arising from a tackle by Richarlison, and 4 of which were as a result of coronavirus), 23 games in 21/22, and 22 games in 2022/23. It’s been hard luck on the man, but someone more available may well be better for the club.

Yes for me, definitely.

With respect and thanks to Thiago, imperious player, never an ounce of trouble. But a new thing is emerging, as it must. Thiago has too many injuries now. And his role, as a playmaker, now seems to be Trent’s role. Not to mention I expect to see MacAllister on the ball a lot in midfield too.

We are trying to bring through players and retaining all three veteran midfielders seems like overkill to me. I’d rather give more minutes to players who are at the start on the way up. Lavia has something the midfield group needs, with his pace, athleticism, tackling and press resistance. He could be an understudy to Fabinho, though I expect it won’t be too long before they are rotating, and then the younger man takes his spot.

1 Like

I have personally never seen the Thiago hype. Neat and tidy. The odd no look pass but very little end product. Nothing that leads to a goal. I hear the"he passes to the person who assists" but I do not see that either. Lots of sideways passes. I would take the money.

2 Likes

Well, we’re all entitled to an opinion.

Call The Midwife Opinion GIF by PBS

1 Like

Indeed we are. He looks great but… I am not trying to wind anyone up. I really do not see the fuss.

Thiago has great vision and ability to play a pass, long or short. He is also a metronome for the midfield, showing for the ball, and play going through him, as he sets the tempo. He is technically excellent, and an imperious player.

With that said, when he came to us it didn’t quite work out, in terms of winning the highest prizes, which he had done throughout his career. The league and CL were just before his time, although to be fair, he helped us get close to a quadruple.

Niggly injuries have become more of a factor, and as the team has evolved, Trent now sees a lot of the ball as it goes through him as the playmaker.

The opinion expressed on Thiago is fair enough, as it’s a game of opinions. Most would say he is better than that, and equally, most would probably say if there’s an offer for Thiago at this stage, accepting it is the way to go.

2 Likes

Agree with the metronome and dictating the pace. But for me the pace is slo and sideways. As you say - opinions. I think he would be a Roll Royce in the right side - just not a fit with our.

I liken him to Alonso a little. But Xabi had way more end product.

1 Like

That’s because there’s nothing to fuss over.

Certainly one of the best midfielders of his time, being plagued by injuries might be a reason why he won’t be one of the the first names that roll off the tongue when you think best midfielder of this era or that era but those times came during his prime with Barca and Bayern.

We signed him for the wrong reason, he was a marquee name and we didn’t really see how he could fit into the system Klopp demands from his midfielders which has ultimately led him flattering to deceive during his time here…like you said sure there’s a few highlight reel moments but otherwise how many stand out/MOTM games do you recall him having?

1 Like

Not all midfielders are there to play final balls all the time. That’s hardly possible when you’re a side that mostly needs to break down opponents. And quite the contrary, Thiago is arguably our best player when it comes to mixing his passing. Sometimes slowing down in possession, or have that “pausa” (which Lijnders often speaks about), is what we need. Sometimes mixing up his passing, speeding up, changing sides, slice through opponent’s lines is what we need. Like Bob Paisley said decades ago, you cannot go charging forward all the time. Even in a Klopp team, which by nature wants to be pretty vertical, in order to get to the top and remain there, you have to incorporate other qualities as well.

3 Likes

If I’m honest there are players who align with Jurgen more than others I think Henderson is one.

I don’t think I’d see Jurgen heading over there and I don’t see Jordan.

1 Like

Lol, no.

scared eric cartman GIF by South Park

Did I miss the vote on what “our” core values are and who are the people who are included in “our”?

3 Likes

Wow! So you think Klopp bought without having a plan for him? SMH.

1 Like

Another way to judge if Thiago has been a plus or a minus in the squad since he arrived… Especially now with the benefit of Captain Hindsight, is to ask yourself whether it would have been better to keep Gini instead of signing Thiago if neither had suffered from any injuries and where available to play each game - Personally, I would vote for Gini everyday of the week and twice on a Sunday

Why do people talk about Thiago as if 21/22 didn’t happen?

We saw his quality, we saw exactly how he fit into the side and how the side benefitted from him being there.

His availability was always a gamble, his quality and suitability shouldn’t be in the question. Memories are very short it seems.

16 Likes

Yeah, it’s weird. Thiago - when available - would literally take over games by himself. Gini was never that. Gini was great at what he did, but I remember many of us wanted more from Gini, he could be frustrating when he slowed the game down or didn’t play a progressive ball when we were on the counter.

Thiago’s quality has always been a cut above, but he just can’t stay healthy.

8 Likes

And was noticeably starting to decline in his final season with us

6 Likes