The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I did wonder if that was potentially the case, good to know.

It would be totally understandable if there was a sort of ā€œnews banā€ from our side to avoid a new drama and tbf Iā€™m totally fine with that.

4 Likes

IF we sign Doucoure, would we lose him and Mo for the African cup of nations?

He plays for Mali, so assuming they qualify, then yes.

Saw someone on Reddit call him a Momo regen :joy:

1 Like

the old AFCON debateā€¦reminds me of simpler timesā€¦

2 Likes

Did we ever have this issue with grobbelaar?
Genuinely canā€™t ever remember reading anything about it at the time .

It looks like his country, Zimbabwe, qualified for the ACN finals for the first time in 2004, so I donā€™t think it was an issue.

1 Like

I think the much likely answer is that it is much harder to keep possession of the ball in the premier league.

1 Like

Devilā€™s advocate, but hopefully a case of needing to adapt, it sounds like he improved throughout last season. At least itā€™s something he has in his locker rather than not having it at all.

3 Likes

Any reason why Doucoure would cost less than 50 million? Wasnt he costing close to 80 million yesterday? 50 million looks like the new 30 million these days. If its 50 million i would take him.

Would explain why we missed out on caicedoā€¦since he apparently emptied his locker before we even bid :joy:

What if we signed Doucoure but then realize its the other oneā€¦

1 Like

If heā€™s resistant to the press and he destroys progressivelyā€¦Iā€™m all in, bring him home!!!

1 Like

As ever, itā€™s all about the blend.

Jurgen is putting a team together, Klopp 2.0 if you like.

We have a couple of excellent midfield signings in MacAllister and Szoboszlai. We have persisted with a local player to get him through some chronic injuries, and Jones is showing us that he is a very good player.

Bajcetic surprised us all with his mature displays when called on last season. Obviously too soon to be a main man yet, but he is already a good squad man to have, and will see more action as we go. Elliott has played quite a lot for a team of our stature, and at such a young age. When he came in against Chelsea he looked hungry, and raring to go. He also looked a bit faster, to my eye.

Trent will pop up into midfield from the inverted fullback role as the midfield settles and finds its shape. Thiago is a quality veteran who will help bring the youngsters through while doing well when he plays.

We have a good blendā€¦ except for a defensive midfielder to slot in right now.

If DoucourĆ© is the one, bring it on. Heā€™s a solid player. World class? Nope! But good. Overpriced? Probably, in this market, unless thereā€™s a clause we donā€™t know about.

But itā€™s all about the TEAM.

If DoucourĆ© signs for us, and does what he is good at doing, it will help the other parts of the team to do their thing too. We have others who are more silky, and better on the ball. (Although his stats at Lens show a different side to his game than what weā€™ve seen at Palace).

But itā€™s all about the team. If DoucourĆ© joins and is relatively unheralded, compared to some others, but he ends up being a very effective part of Klopp 2.0, that sounds very much like the Liverpool Way to me.

Weā€™ve been building good sides and doing it like that since the 60s. Some world class players, definitely. But also plenty of good players, doing a good job, in the right role, and helping the TEAM to be the star.

5 Likes

I am annoyed that this totally made up lie has made its way on this forum even the club and the player issued a denial which is sad especially when all the press is piling on to berate the club for failing to sign the two greedy players

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure. I donā€™t know enough about him to say anything about him as a player, so Im certainly not saying he cannot do it. And it is certainly reasonable to give someone time to adapt to the different pressures of the premier league. But I would argue that being able to protect the ball and use it effectively in the prem is not just a demonstration of a higher level of that trait of someone with similar figures in france, but actually a completely different trait.

It is rarely technique that lets a player down when they cannot make that step up, but just an inability to play the game in their head quickly enough.

1 Like

Some names on the list further below in the article of players I donā€™t think have been mentioned

Sick of the Six. Just buy a striker or something, fuck the system

1 Like

Greizman did all right playing there at the WC

Re Doucoure, Iā€™ve just watched a highlight vid, well half of it any way. Stylistically look similar to Fab, not very easy on the eye but effective.