The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

This is admittedly from the outside looking in, but my issue with Curtis Jones is that he started believing the hype around his talent and stopped consistently playing within the workmanlike tactical framework that Klopp had set out for his midfield. I think that, as much as anything else, contributed to him being pushed down the order of selection for midfield spots.

That isn’t to say that he couldn’t recover, though, nor is it to say that the club doesn’t fancy him as a long term player in the midfield. But he needs to prove himself.

2 Likes

I have the total opposite opinion to this - Jones has become too focused on the tactical side of it and he needs to express himself more.

8 Likes

100%

91% passing accuracy isn’t a player taking risks.

Jones had covid and nearly lost his eye, then got injured playing for England. He’s got a big future ahead of him.

5 Likes

I’m not the biggest fan of Jones, mainly because he takes too much time on the ball but to write him off and sell him is a step beyond for me, this will be a big year for him.

7 Likes

Interesting. That’s not what I saw, and I doubt that Klopp would have pushed him so far down the order of selection - even when healthy - if he was too focused on trying to follow the tactical vision that Klopp was trying to implement. That doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Be specific then - what is it he’s doing that goes against the tactical vision?

From what I saw he tried too hard to emulate Wijnaldum in 20/21 and we’re still seeing a spillover from that. The Villa and Southampton games at the end of the season were better from him though, so hopefully he continue that into next season.

3 Likes

I don’t want to bash him - at the outset, I’ve insisted this the club fancies him as a long term contributor. But since you asked, I would highlight some of his poor decisions in terms of shot selection, his passing which tended to be far less progressive than needed at his position, and his pressing which was mediocre at best. His dribbling could use work - as much in terms of his decisions when to dribble through a defense as in terms of the skill itself.

Too often, I saw Jones making the wrong decision. But that wasn’t a product of his talent as much as it was his youth and, frankly, his own ego. While his injuries certainly deprived him of the chance to gain more experience, it is notable that Klopp left him off the bench on several occasions even after he returned from injury.

I think his deficits are correctable, though, and I hope he used this last season as learning experience.

1 Like

CARVALHO IS AN ATTACKER.

Attack - Carvalho is here

Midfield - Jones is here

Defense - lovren used to be here

So how does carvalho impact jones playing time exactly?

1 Like

Thoughts on Fabio Viera for midfield? Sounds like he might be going to Arsenal but didn’t we sign an agreement for 1st refusal?

We’ll see :slight_smile:

Elliott was used as an ATTACKER for Fulham before we signed him and MOVED HIM INTO MIDFIELD.

So let’s see :slight_smile:

our “second XI” is more talented that the bottom half of the league, for certain. they won’t be getting a lot of minutes against the top 6, but that’s the whole point of having player rotation…

1 Like

It would be absolutely absurd, to the point of self destruction, to allow both Elliot and Jones to leave.

Firstly Jones. He got plenty of minutes, and has something like 50 first team appearances now, which is good going for a lad his age. He is coming up to the stage of being a decent midfielder who can more than adequately play a squad role, and I’d expect him to kick on again this season. If he went, you’d have to replace him and there is zero point.

Elliot, was a first team regular who looked like he was being backed by Klopp to start the big games. Then he got a horror injury, and it was unrealistic to expect too much from him after that. Big season from him.

Either way, even if you think Fab, Hendo, and Thiago are the first choice midfield, Keita, Jones and Elliot are 4, 5 and 6, depending how you rate them.

All of them would need replacing.

5 Likes

Nail. Head.

2 Likes

Jones and/or Elliott will be sold/loaned is probably the most unreliable rumour of them all.

Jones needs to do 3 things, 1. Don’t try carry the ball out from defensive positions, 2. Move the ball quicker when there is an opportunity, 3. don’t have a hissy fit (my assumption).

Elliott needs to do 1 thing, mature quicker (not physically, mentally).

Carvalho needs some time to adjust to a world class team. In theory he shouldn’t expect that much PL game time.

1 Like

Why do they need to mature quicker? They’re both incredible players already for their age. Just let them develop in time. It’s us the fans that need to grow up

3 Likes

Mature quicker from the POV of silly twitter posts, and that’s just Elliot, Jones doesn’t seem to have that issue.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Unpopular opinion, apparently… Jones played much better than Elliott this season.

3 Likes

All our transfers are done for the summer, I don’t think staying on track matters all that much now.

2 Likes

Before or after Harvey had his ankle twisted 180 degrees the wrong way?

4 Likes