The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

The BBC report on City’s interest in his was a laugh. It first suggested he’d be a back up to Rodri in the holding role to replace Fernandinho. Possibly being a bit picky here over the use of the word holding, because that is absolutely not how he plays. Much like Kante, his strength is in how much ground he covers, so you dont want him playing a restricted role, even if he is ostensibly in the side to win the ball back. That isnt how Rodri plays, so it’s not an obvious like for like without significant adaptation for Phillips.

They then suggested he could easily be used as part of a 2 alongside Rodri, and cited his success for England playing alongside Rice. I get the idea that with a tactical tweak a 2 man midfield with him as the all action destroyer with Rodri anchoring behind him could work, but has there been a single england game with those two playing where we could look at it and say “now that’s a midfield combination that Pep would like”

2 Likes

Maybe Pep is building for his successor :rofl:

1 Like

Please be Southgate

1 Like

You can bring up all the stats you want it won’t change my mind, Barella played a pivotal part in Italy winning the Euro’s.

Barella also made 13 assists last season to Naby’s 1 which I saw you convieniently left out, if that counts for anything.

2 Likes

Both things you wrote is exactly what I hope for regarding this transfer - first and foremost, that his price tag will dictate his inclusion in the first XI. You know that I’m really not a fan of him as a player, I think he’s overrated because of England’s lack of natural central midfield options. Compare what he might bring to what Fernandinho used to bring for them… He might be an upgrade on last season’s Fernandinho but he’s not the snide, experienced bastard Fernandinho was, one who is tactically accomplished and versatile enough to play at centre back. And if by some miracle all of Jesus, Gundogan and Silva leave this summer… Woof.

2 Likes

I remember twitter going fucking mental last summer, and all the pundits having us in 4th place. Then we went a couple of goals away from a quadruple.
#IKWT

2 Likes

Southampton have enquired about Neco Williams Joining interest from Forest and Fulham, Liverpool expect a deal near 20m for Neco.

3 Likes

That would be odd, they have Tino Livramento at RB and he’s almost back to full fitness. Unless they envisage him as a central defender defender in a three and let Neco playing as a wing back. Seems a bit early for that sort of change though.

2 Likes

Livramento tore his ACL in April. He won’t return for some time. He’s not projected back even in calendar year 2022.

3 Likes

True, I misread this article and thought they were saying he was back in training Livramento smiling in injury recovery session at Southampton | Daily Echo

2 Likes

They have Walter Peters for RB no? Maybe they’d use him in a left back role?

20m for Neco would be great. We’ve had too many go on (successful) loan after loan but never get bought. Still can’t believe Phillips hasn’t be snapped up for 10m.

2 Likes

Barella links flying around the last day or so - now SSN also running with it. I’m not convinced by him personally.

Liverpool want to sign Inter Milan midfielder Nicolo Barella and are ready to offer Naby Keita in exchange, according to Italian outlet Calcio Mercato.

Jurgen Klopp is said to be impressed by the 25-year-old’s performances for Inter and Italy, although the Serie A side are understood to want around €90m (£77m) if they are to consider letting him go.

Liverpool are believed to see that fee as too high, so could offer Keita, who has one year remaining on his contract, as part of a swap deal.

Just another example of the absolute buffoons on Twitter.

Let’s send Keita, Ox and Jones to Italy because it’s bang average and they will all look class over there.

Let’s buy Barella because he looks class in Italy.

9 Likes

We haven’t done so well signing Italians from Serie A. Presumably this time (if it was to actually be genuine and actually happen) would be different…

3 Likes

Yep, we’ve had little luck with Italians (Balotelli, Borini, Dossena and Aquillani!) , and I don’t recall any Italian footballers to have done particularly well in the Premier League either.

Chelsea have had some decent Italians. Jorginho’s been decent at Chelsea, and he’s actually Brazilian. Zola was a success. Di Matteo and Vialli were alright.

Others that I thought were decent Di Canio, and Pelle (for 1 season).

All that said, if we were to go for Barella, I’d not be overly worried as I trust the clubs transfer approach these days.

2 Likes

Zola was a bit alright.

4 Likes

Yep, he was in my post.