The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I don’t think so. There are four or five decent teams in Italy and more high quality players spread around the league.
But even if you put Italy fourth, it’s still not bad.

No doubt I’d take Barella, but it’s not happening.

I don’t think Phillips will be a starter (at least not brought as one) at City, but they’ve been playing with their midfield structure in the past two seasons so it’s possible that in some games they go double pivot with both Rodri and him.

I have no idea whether Barella is any better than Keita but honestly I would think at least on his performances in Italy and reputation, he would be at least on par with Keita in terms of abilities and capabilities. And if he is any fitter than Keita, then he definitely would be a better option. However, I do not think he is worth anything near that price quoted and if we are paying money plus Keita for him, that would be a wrong deal.

Hate the state of the Bundesliga and yes Bayern have won it for 10 straight years but in my book it is still closer to second than to fourth.

Dortmund, Leipzig and probably Leverkusen still on a similar level to the Italian top teams.

Those clubs still have a huge name and there are still some players with ‘starpower’ in Italy but other than that it is a miserable place to be.

Dilapidated stadiums. Empty seats. Outdated training and tactics. Still that ugly, defensive and slow football.

Not sure about beer and food in their stadiums but surely won’t be as good as our beer and the Bratwurst here :relieved:

The other 13 teams would be fighting against relegation in the Bundesliga.

1 Like

I think we have to be careful not to confuse different aspects of a league. This was probably very much football based, not in terms of the product, stadiums, atmosphere, culture, prices, club structures, etc.

I think the Bundesliga is generally pretty admired (a lot of goals also, more open games), but I feel exactly because of that can be sometimes slightly overrated. Possibly more loved than how good it is.

I think the Serie A made a step forward in recent years, regardless of their club’s results in Europe. I’m talking about the league.

Can’t say I disagree with that ranking.

2 Likes

Why? Because Juve did not win the league in the last two years after they did in the 9 previous seasons? Or maybe because Chris Smalling is one of the stand out players there?

Milan won the Scudetto this year and Inter last year but not because the have been outstanding. It’s because of Juves massive decline.

The Atalanta hype is over. The Napoli hype almost over.

Lazio? Nobody is talking about Milinkovic-Savic anymore.

Other than that I have no idea what great Clubs like Hellas, Spezia, Empoli, Sassuolo and Salernitana have done to say ‘the league had made a step forward’.

1 Like

Just my impression/opinion through watching/following it (not in absolute detail though, but regular enough to recognize I’d say).

Top half especially, there’s a competitive group, some real quality games. Of course that lower down it’s less attractive and it takes longer to “get there” (England are probably the best at that right now), even Spain has a little bit of that “problem” (due to their ugly almost feudalism with TV money).

Again, we have to separate great clubs from great teams and not mix a ton of different aspects. There are also some circumstances in Germany that makes it as it is. And of course they should be respected how they operate.

I like Germany’s football culture, successes, influences and the Bundesliga is a fun league to follow. Organized? Yes. Likeable? Yes. That’s my subjective side and the feeling a lot of other people have. The football world really likes the Bundesliga.

But objectivelly speaking, I think most of us would agree where it stands in terms of quality.

NEW: Nottingham Forest are in talks with Liverpool over a £15 million deal for Neco Williams. #lfc [telegraph]

5 Likes

Fulham want him too, I believe, so we should achieve our price. Hopefully we stick a sell on clause in there, just in case he kicks on and is bought again for biggish money.

3 Likes

What has been our biggest net spend in any 1 window?

Looks to be another summer with a <20m net spend once the sales of Taki & Neco are confirmed.

This isn’t a dig at FSG btw before any of you start getting your knickers in a twist.

If you draw clear lines, it was 18-19 - over 100 million quid in excess of sales. But it is complicated by the fact that Naby deal was struck 12 months prior and the Coutinho money we banked the previous winter.

2 Likes

I think such decisions at the club will always be based on a wider timeframe than one window so it makes sense to consider a multi year figure as well when considering any one window or year’s deals.

Sign of an extremely well run football club if that’s the case

It’s unbelievably fantastic is what it is. Being able to assemble a team this good and competing for everything all while being self sustaining is something that should be admired and something we should all be proud of our club for, it makes the fans that constantly moan and complain about FSG very hard for me to have time for ( not aimed at anyone here by the way) .
The FSGout and top red shite is so fucking cringe, how anybody can’t take the full joy from these times as a supporter is unbelievable. These are the days indeed.

11 Likes

[Jornal de Notícias] Liverpool rekindles interest in Otávio and talks are already underway

This is interesting.

27 year old right footed right winger with three league goals to his name last season that we’ve been linked to for the last two summers?

Can’t see it having legs myself.

2 Likes

Are talking about the same guy?

Why? Central midfield?

Defending midfielder

Nope, the Portuguese one that plays for Porto is the one we’re being linked with.

1 Like