The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

We aren’t signing Jude :blush:

1 Like

But we also were keeping a close eye on him prior to his move to Dortmund, so I would say Klopp knows what he can bring straight away and what he can potentially bring in the future. If Klopp is that confident in Belligham, then that is all I need to hear.

Don’t make it bad

2 Likes

If just specifically on price, I would think a structure of what we pay for Nunez, would be doable but still I don’t think we need to take that plunge this season. I think next season might be right. But well we are just fans speculating from the outside. If I disregard the price and realities, I would of course love to see Bellingham here.

1 Like

I would think most of the fans would be excited by Bellingham coming to us and if especially if once we know Klopp wants him, then the chance of him being a success with us is more likely than not. I think alot of fans likely myself are more skeptical about that we will pay that price quoted in the media. But if there is a way to pay a reasonable price for him, I think most of us will be over the moon.

Doesnt really make any difference the fee being paid iwould still be roughly £100m.

This seems to be true of a number of our signings. For example Sadio, Mo, Nunez, Keita, Fabio, all seem to have been followed closely before we signed them

Even with VVD i’m not sure it qas an obvious slam dunk. At the time a number of fans either didnt rate him or thought the fee too high.

Always find it funny that supporters complain about a transferfee, like the club is asking them to chip in. :wink:

2 Likes

thats good enough for me,

let get him in.

2 Likes

Just a question: Is it generally believed that Klopp and the transfer committee will wait for the right player? Virg is obviously a good example of where this was the case. But then we can point to Salah where we moved onto a secondary target. I don’t actually recall the Salah situation. Who was our priority target and what was the reason we moved onto Salah? Was it that the other player was sold to someone else? Or that we were being priced out of that player?

I don’t think our transfer committee acts in a certain way other than the critical point that we will find players who are willing to fit within our wage structure (Nunez a good example where the transfer fee doesn’t really tie into the wages we are paying him). Additionally, we will be looking for good value either in terms of short term success (Thiago) or something more long term where the player will increase in value over time.

Everything else would be difficult to guess. Some transfers are quiet and slip beneath every journalists visibility, some are noisy, sometimes we will move on after we cannot gain our initial target. Sometimes we will wait for that target. I wouldn’t be betting large sums of my money that the LFC transfer committee would act in a certain way outside those initial two points made tbh.

Circling this back to Bellingham, I don’t think its nailed on that we would wait a year for Bellingham if a midfielder is something we need now, especially at the price quoted which likely won’t go down much if at all in 12 months. Its a weird one. At £100m, we wouldn’t be buying him for potential market value as a ‘moneyball’ signing because tbh, he would have to develop into one heck of a player to get a good return on a £100m investment if sold.

So disregarding the benefits of market value which would be negligible for such a player, that leaves his on-field output. Is the midfield market so small and constrained that we could only shop in the £100m range to get the player we need? This isn’t like Virg where there weren’t loads of absolute top quality CBs. I would have thought there would be plenty of midfield players that would fit our needs. Right now, I think its agreed that Bellingham would certainly get game time with us and would work well in rotation but he wouldn’t be an absolute nailed on starter like Thiago and Fab. Why would it take £100m to deliver that sort of player?

1 Like

We moved early and quickly for Naby when we found out he had a release clause due to kick in in 12 months time, so paid up the fee early to beat potential rivals

That was a mistake. We would happily swap Naby plus 40m for Jude now, I think.

The fee Madrid paid was much higher due to the taxes. It was reported Monaco wanted the same deal net we offered them from both parties. In all fairness, he just wanted Madrid more than us.

Maybe we knew that and drove up the price? No idea but Real Madrid didn’t pay more than we were willing, they just had to cover the taxes

Twitter wants us to insert a buy-back clause in any deal to sell Neco Williams.

If only we had someone on these boards with strong views on buy-backs clauses… :thinking:

Sell on clause would be a good idea if he’s going somewhere like Forest or Fulham.

3 Likes

Sorry, reading through the backlog to try and find out why we re-opened Bellingham thread lol, and thought I’d weigh in well after the fact.

I think the reason Elliott is ahead of Jones in most peoples minds is the run of games Elliott had to start the season. He looked like the completed jigsaw puzzle. He struggled after his injury, but that run of games (particularly as it seemingly came out of nowhere) is remembered.

Jones has all the pieces to the jigsaw puzzle but we haven’t seen him put them all together for the first team yet (at least not in a run that I can remember). His slow and steady improvement isn’t as memorable as a 18 yr old kid being picked to start the season after we won the league and bossing it until he got injured. Those surprising 2.5 games left everyone wanting more, before we started picking holes in his game. I don’t think Jones has had a game that was as impressive or memorable as Harvey’s measly 2.5 games lol. Harsh on Jones, as he’s had moments, but they feel like moments only so far, and there’s not a lot of consistency game to game from him yet, and we bluntly expect more from him than we expected from Elliott so we judge him a bit harsher. Elliott starting the season caught everyone off guard I think, and that’s what everyone remembers.

2 Likes

That Firmino deal in the non discussion thread sounds utter bollocks and then you realise it’s Italy and it’s exactly what Juve would offer.

2 Likes

they could offer their whole team for bobby and its still a flat out ‘no look’ two fingers in the air!

1 Like

So, re: the Twitter thread. Ivan Schwakoff. First he’s saying we want Bellingham this summer, and then he says Salah is signing a new deal. Definitely my guy this window, Ivan.

7 Likes