The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Surely just a factor of 10, 100 … error surely, often happens when you don’t par attention as I pointed out above and the last time I used that site to look up Nat’s wages. :smiley:

You Starwars fans get everywhere. It’s for nerds, grow up! I don’t know, you think you have the measure of a man and you realise you just can’t accurately define the data.

:wink:

To the dismay of many, I never really loved Star Wars or Star Trek. Space is utterly bewildering for me.

:upside_down_face:

On topic,

From now on, I will just laugh at all transfer rumors until something actually happens. So, here goes,

:rofl:

2 Likes

Ah, you’ll have missed the gag then. The Measure of a Man is one of the classic STTNG episodes. I AM a big fan :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember watching and liking Star Trek in my teen years. But never really got it when I tried to watch again 20 years later.

I accidentally posted in the Links Only thread! Reposting over here for discussion. Regarding the link German Red just posted regarding United suddenly in the mix for Saul.

Imagine the fume. And full transparency, I’m not pretending to be above it, either.

I don’t entirely believe this sudden United involvement but if it came to pass Saul signed with United I’d be really annoyed.

2 Likes

I’ll believe it when James Ducker confirms it, he’s always in on things going on there. Not going to lie, I’d hate it if they signed a player of such calibre and ability, he’s precisely what their team needs in order to challenge for trophies. They tried to sign him a few years back, just like they did with Varane, we’ll see whether they return for Saul as well.

3 Likes

Tbh we’ve been linked under Rodgers but over the years Saul was often linked with ManU.

2 Likes

I don’t even know where they’d find minutes for him with all the players they have but I suppose money talks and not much else matters. I tried to resist the urge to get too attached to the possibility of Saul coming here, but unfortunately I’m fully invested. It would really bother me to see him go to United.

3 Likes

This Zach Lowy lad is now quoting the source. I don’t particularly care for this boy but he seems to think there is something to it and he does have a few connections.

1 Like

Couldn’t care less who our rivals sign. Sancho and Saul to ManU. Kane and Grealish to City. Haaland to Chelsea. Let it happen.

We do things our way. They spend big money and hope they will hit the jackpot with it.

7 Likes

I don’t at all disagree.

My opinion was more just based in my own emotion, in a vacuum so to speak. I really like the player and was excited about the possibility of him playing for our club.

2 Likes

Man United follow the usual “shiny new toy” principle (for other examples see Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and, to a lesser extent admittedly, City).

Basically transfers at all clubs are usually a lot more complex and involved than we fans tend to know. Clubs can talk to each other seriously for over a year and players/agents tend to know of interest/possible future plans earlier. Not all of these moves end up happening and at a good run club like LFC they can be really well thought out and hugely dependant on Klopp for final triggering when the time is right.

These other clubs the directors or owners who have wanted these targets may have been planning out for a while, sometimes whilst multiple different people could have been the manager.

An example is Fabinho, United had been sounding out him/his agent/his club over multiple seasons, their plans were actually still seemingly for him at RB when he hadn’t played that position for awhile, that’s how old they were. Liverpool worked on it for over a year, importantly with manager input (one manager for us multiple for them) giving the player the confidence that it was a well planned thing and he’d be a main part of Klopps plans, reassurance that matters to players. So he fully committed to us and sent the messages to United via his agent that absolutely no way was he interested in going there anymore (although technically they never got round to making an official bid I don’t think).

All this can mean it doesn’t actually matter the ability, performance or potential of the players currently in the positions the target plays in.

So you end up with situations like Abraham at Chelsea. He was doing fine, they had ended up having to rely far more on a seemingly limited club developed CF than they wanted due to their transfer ban and injuries etc. and he turned out to not be limited and actually pretty damn good. So they bought new forwards they’d been working on under one manager which were then suspiciously perfect for another manager who they definitely weren’t talking to early no sir. Instead of these forwards being used with Abraham (at least one of which seemed an ideal fit to play off him in Werner) Tammy was benched and those forwards played even when in bad form. Such a shit situation Tammy didn’t even make the bench for cup finals he helped get them to by being their top scorer last season. And now he’s being binned off.

The shiny new toy always gets played whenever possible by these clubs. It doesn’t actually matter how good or bad they play. It certainly doesn’t matter how well the others in their position were doing before or after the arrival. All the existing players can hope for is the new guy misses enough game time or flops hard enough that the existing guy can get significant game time and somehow turn it around like Shaw did at United against Telles. But would that have worked if Shaw wasn’t himself an ex shiny new toy?

The Andy Robertson story would never happen at these clubs, even if bought as cover in the first place (actually doubtful from the off), he’d have probably never got picked to play enough behind Moreno and Milner despite being better and the following summer they’d have spent big on a new shiny toy of a left back who, again regardless of performance, would have replaced Moreno and played all the time when available.

At those clubs it takes a hell of a lot of circumstances coming together for a diamond in the rough or even an understated academy graduate to break through. At Chelsea that only happened because of the transfer ban.

4 Likes

As per the @Bekloppt post in the non discussion thread please can this happen???

3 Likes

Unreliable though

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

Happy Premier League GIF by MolaTV

5 Likes

Nik I call you out on this every year mate. Man Utd aren’t getting better. Their signings are irrelevant and most likely will bust. Forget them, this is a two team league.

4 Likes

There’s always an exception that proves a rule haha

3 Likes

What gets me excited about a prospective Liverpool signing is how Klopp and his coaches will improve and take those players to another level.

Utd are managed by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

10 Likes

But what happens when they aren’t?