The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Literally dying here :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

He is like all journo’s bar maybe Joyce and Reddy completly unreliable.

I think you are right, Konate was the priority so we had Matip + Konate locked in all pre-season and ready for Norwich.

The attacker/midfielder aren’t meant to be hitting the ground running so no major rush and clearly dependant on outgoings
 Attacker wise I reckon they get 6 months to get up to speed in-season before the AFCON also.

And unless we bring in someone completly under the radar I fail to see an incoming midfielder who displaces Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson day 1

4 Likes

Not that I would actually want him here, but imagine the fume if we signed him on a free next summer

I’d imagine neither of them would be set to play a massive role this season at all, if we bring them in. We’re probably looking more at longer-term replacements of our ageing squad.

With regards to AFCON, I might be misremembering, but doesn’t it last all of like 2 league games for us, from start to final? I’d imagine the hit would not be that significant in that case

2 Likes

AFCON isn’t that much of an issue this time it seems, more concerned of losing Salah to the Arab cup as well.

1 Like

There :blush:

3 Likes

I did not actually know the Arab Cup existed. That is a lot of games missed for Salah. Mané had better be in red-hot form by then.

1 Like

I can’t find the post/link, but I have read that players has to be released two weeks before the start of AFCON. Arab Cup wasn’t a very regular thing in the past. But this time FIFA has made it the preparatory tournament for WC22.

1 Like

Gotta get the $$$

3 Likes

Yeah that is literally just dates that there are clashes in games, not a guarantee they won’t be with their national sides before and after those dates plus the added complications of quarantine periods. It will be negligent if at least one more (none AFCON) forward isn’t added.

Not if the management team think someone like Elliott is ready to step up for at least some of the games. He won’t even need to start the Arab Cup period.

I think Jota, Firmino, plus Elliott/AOC can do a decent job. Maybe one of the academy lads will grab the opportunity Ă  la Nat/Rhys. On the other hand, a new signing can be unsettled or injured.

1 Like

The idea that 18 year old Elliott (8 apps for LFC), could seamlessly replace one of the greatest players in the world is wishful thinking.

2 Likes

I didn’t say seamlessly, however. I in fact did explicitly say ManĂ© would need to be on-form during that period. We could be playing Jota/Origi, Firmino/Minamino, and ManĂ© across the front 3. It’s mainly the AFCON period that would be worrying, since it would almost definitely involve one of Origi/Minamino/Elliott (as it stands) playing those matches. And in that case, it’s not necessarily even the difference in quality, but also playing styles that would concern me.

1 Like

Never even heard of the Arab Cup. Are clubs obliged to release players for that or is similar to the Olympics?

The last time anyone bothered organising it was 2012 apparently. Not sure if the club are obliged or if Salah even wants to play in it. If they aren’t obliged and Salah doesn’t care, then I can easily see us keeping him for that period of time.

Not sure what Egypt’s chances realistically are for it anyway.

1 Like

Have a feeling we’re going to hear ‘official’ news of another departure today. But i’m probably wrong.

1 Like

Shaq a done deal?

Most likely. But it’s just a feeling.

I don’t know about seamlessly, but the kid should get the gametime and be allowed to fail.

If we coddle them too much, they’ll never develop.

It will be better for the long-run. Unless it is a top, top player
 I would rather the games go to Elliott or another youngster.

2 Likes