The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Have to admire his maturity in taking this route, especially since he’s a Liverpool fan. Able to get regular games at the top level, outside of the pressure bowl of PL and our shitty media. Has served him well now he’s an international and on the verge of a big move

1 Like

I think there is a really good chance of getting him - he is a Liverpool fans, and idolises Gerrard.

4 Likes

I think he’d jump at the chance; work under Klopp, alongside Hendo etc. All lines up. Certainly worth the figures bandid about.

Is there any evidence of him being a Liverpool fan? I know he has name dropped Gerrard a couple of times, but equally in the latest article he mentions Rooney.

If you’d asked me at the same age, I’d probably mention Ronaldinho despite not being a Barca or Brazil fan.

2 Likes

They’ll get their profit, more than double that, possibly 3x the amount.

3 Likes

What? Jack Lusby, THE Jack Lusby, is claiming that this comes from a “top source” - I mean, there is nothing more reputable, surely?! :rage:

5 Likes

Yes, @Mascot said so

1 Like

We tried to. Everyone knew he was emerging as an excellent player and a number of teams were in for him, including us. As it happened, he went to Dortmund, and that has served him well as he has played more regularly at a high level in the Bundesliga and also seen CL experience, so his growth as a player has probably been boosted by that.

There will be another step, and we will probably be in for him again, and presumably so will a few others.

1 Like

Birmingham knew he was brilliant and they couldn’t keep him, so they retired his shirt when he left. That’s how highly they rated him.

3 Likes

Yeah, I remember mocking them for doing that at the time. Still think it was over the top for a 17yr old but I certainly didn’t appreciate that he was this good with such obviously stellar potential.

6 Likes

About as much as there is to convince some people Mbappe is also a Liverpool fan.

2 Likes

That was my impression as well, but at 16 he looked a well developed player speed, strength and ability, he didn’t shirk the physical side either and that was in the championship, not youth football

Should have had a clause put in his contract that if Liverpool came in for him then he could leave for a reduced fee say $50m :wink:

1 Like

But at a high price

Absolutely. Apart from contract winding down, paying for the level of proven quality Bellingham has now, and absolutely will have when he does make another move, will cost a lot of money. 80M seems to be the fee mentioned.

It’s always the same though. Buy them younger for less money, and the risk level increases as to whether or not they will make it to the very top. Give it 2-3 more years and as the risk level decreases, the price increases.

For me, Bellingham wasn’t one that got away as such. He was on our radar, but he chose to go elsewhere. Even as a Liverpool fan I can see the sense in the choice he made.

He will make another step after Dortmund, and hopefully it will be to us… though as you say, yes, it will be at a price.

On the whole I am very happy with the work we do at the emerging level of the market. Harvey Elliott was excellent business. Kaide Gordon looks a great prospect too, though still a little more unproven. And we have a couple of home grown talents in and around the team, like TAA and Jones. We do a lot better than most in this regard.

Making it at Liverpool is very difficult indeed, and it is even more difficult to predict what 16 year olds will do it. Bellingham is on a very good path, which we predicted, as we wanted him! But he went to Dortmund and who can blame him?

4 Likes

I think we are willing to pay if we want the player, would not surprise me if our targets are already lined up and discussions have taken place.

2 Likes

Comedy Central Ok GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

How about January?

3 Likes

Jude scores opener in CL match against Besiktas.

Price just went up.

1 Like

Relax, we have the Klopp & Stevie discount :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

From today’s BBC gossip column:

Liverpool have emerged as one of the potential destinations for Poland striker Robert Lewandowski, 33, who is expected to leave Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich next summer. (Fichajes, in Spanish)

But there’s more…

Liverpool are in pole position to make a January bid for German striker Karim Adeyemi, 19, from Austrian Bundesliga side Red Bull Salzburg . (Mundo Deportivo, in Spanish)

So… Do we go for the old guy or the young guy? :thinking:

3 Likes