The Walking Eagle thread

this has been in the plans for a long time. read this article and you can see how deep the rabbit hole goes. Trump wrote himself a get-out-of-jail-free card

1 Like

Interesting that after pleading the fifth repeatedly in his first visit to the classified documents grand jury, Kash Patel has now been resubpoenaed this time with immunity, which both removes his right to 5th amendment protection and leaves him criminally liable for anything he says that is not truthful.

2 Likes

however, he cannot be charged for telling the truth either.

I’m dreading the next couple of years…

1 Like

But what’s to dread? Wouldn’t the Dems be rubbing there hands and be a shoe in? Unless Joe goes again.

Trump is no hope of another presidency after the debacle last time…or is he…

If the comeback is true let the circus begin.

According to the article Biden is preparing to run (?) again.

1 Like

It’s a weird one this. Patel and Trump are tight as anything. Just on Monday Patel was asked whether he would accept a position as F.B.I. director if Mr. Trump were elected president in 2024.

“I’m all in with the boss, and you know that,” Mr. Patel said. “First, I tell people, let’s win the midterms. And then let’s see what he does and, you know, you and I think I know what he’s going to do. And then it’s a two-year lift and you know what, they’re going to come after us.”

Prosecutors obviously aren’t buying his bullshit about witnessing Trump declassify documents and are likely to hone in on that when he testifies. So what does he do ; Admit that he never saw such a thing and remove one of Trump’s defences for keeping the documents , or testify that he did and risk perjuring himself while his story is picked apart by incredulous prosecutors ?

1 Like

I thought i saw Biden say a week ago he was going to run again

I dont see it being a shoe in. I think it will be a struggle to keep him out.

I read an interesting article a few weeks ago about what Donald Part Deux would mean for the US.

None of it was good.

Are we at the beginning of the end, or somewhere in the middle??

1 Like

Fify

As I said a few weeks ago, it was not politically viable to admit before the midterms that he wouldn’t. He may well believe this to be true, but even if he didnt it would be tough to declare it without hurting his party in the election.

The GOP are poised to retake at least partial control of congress. The party who supported trumps actions in losing the election, then defended them in the aftermath of the capital attack, and then ran with them. Not only does this portend a worrying perspective of the electorate, but if these midterms go as expected it will be even harder for Dems to get a fair shake in elections moving forward.

I dont think most people realize how strained our democracy already is, meaning the things being proposed really arent that big a break from the status quo even, if the result is turning our subsequent elections into facades with largely predetermined results.

1 Like

Who knows what the political lay of the land will be eighteen months hence. Seems the Eagle wants to suck all the oxygen out of the room before any other Repubs can consider running. Would be interesting to see if any decide to take him on. Hast though balls, Ron?

I think Ron De Santis will take him on. He’s crap too, but he has a big opinion of himself, and the Republican Party - at least, what it has become, go for the sort of mean-spirited stunts that De Santis likes to pull on vulnerable people. He’s also in tune with the culture wars that are so dear to the hearts of todays Republicans.

Trump will beat DeSantis, as he is more charismatic and he will retain the power of most of his base.

The problem will be all the legal jeopardy Trump is in, on multiple fronts. With that said, he overcame two impeachments and has stacked the courts, so I expect to continue to see him evade justice, as in America, this one man clearly is above the law.

To the fawning masses, they might admit that Trump is a bit of a character, and has done some shady stuff, but they will continue to love him for his combative style, and all the lies he spews will not make one jot of difference.

Trump will be seen as the businessman who can sort out the economy and tame Biden’s inflation, and get America back on track.

I dread to think what it will do to democracy in America. And I don’t like the global landscape with Trump as President either.

But it’s coming.

The current GOP have accepted there is no credible defense for their awfulness. Fuck, there is not even a pretend defense that no one accepts but we all pretend to. Instead they have decided to go down a path of mutual reputational annihilation, which takes the Dem’s main attack away from them. If they accept how awful they are, but make you think the Dems are no better than all of a sudden all these obvious attack lines are made impotent. To that point, Trump is possibly about the get the likes of Rand Paul and Jim Jordan back into key House leadership positions who will devote the entire next cycle to normalizing the findings of the DOJ and Jan6th committee investigations by holding sham house hearings to pretend the Dems have done the same but worse. It will create an environment that will make criminal prosecution incredibly difficult to do from a public credibility PoV, all aided by a broken mainstream press who will treat the GOP’s arguments as legitimate all while speaking to each other off the record that they know its BS…“but we cannot ignore what the public thinks in our reporting”.

As for De Santis, he thinks he’s a tough guy, but can only pull it off when the deck is stacked for him. Charlie Crist is not exactly Mr Charisma and he made De Santis look weak and silly in our one Governor’s debate the other week. De Santis’ combination of lack of real fighting chops and incredibly fragile ego will see him wilt pathetically in the face of a Trump onslaught. The only ways I see that he can beat him are:

• He refuses to engage and become a Trump boot licker who just positions himself as a better alternative (I dont see Trump allowing that dynamic and dont see De Santis being able to pull it off)
  • The Murdoch press stack the deck to somehow present the race as if he is beating trump even when he isnt and eventually creates their own reality among the voters
  • Trump dies.
1 Like

Case in point. Last night there were reports of a 1000 page GOP house judiciary committee report being released on whistleblower complaints of political bias at the FBI that alleged

• Knowingly over stating the threat of political violence from RW and white supremacy groups
  • Suppressing the Hunter Biden laptop story
  • Seeking retribution against parents involved in covid school closure debates

On their face the allegations seem absurd, but this is how it was credulously reported last night. This morning we find the 1000 page report has no evidence in it at all and instead consists 99% of letters they’ve already put in the public record from them to the Biden administration.

They could literally release a report of 10,000 blank pages and the press would report it contained whatever they claimed was in it.

2 Likes

Claiming ill health might be a face saving way for him to drop out while still playing the persecuted martyr. The only problem is his narcissistic image of himself as a virile demi god.
He’s going to crash and burn one way or another, I just hope he wrecks the GOP in the process

1 Like

He is a disgusting slob of a man who Id imagine has trouble tying his own shoes, yet being fit and strong is an integral part of his self and portrayed image. So I agree with your latter thought, I dont see that as a viable way out for him without ripping up his entire sense of self.

3 Likes

I think he has concluded that political office is the best way to stave off legal jeopardy on many fronts, while also enriching himself in various ways as an extension of holding office.

He is awful and unqualified on any number of levels, but we all know that, and he was still elected President and is still a free man, apparently above the law.

My hope is there will be enough Republicans who will be against him, and there will be an almighty tussle for leadership, and Trump will lose, and the Republican Party will lose as division ensues.

The likes of Liz Cheney are principled leaders. She stood up to Trump when it was consequential for her career, but she still did the right thing.

Cowards like Mike Pence are starting to cautiously speak out now, but it will need a lot more.

Personally I think Ron De Santis will beat him and I predicted that months ago. Trump’s star is waning among the Republicans I know. But I have been surprised by him before, so I’m not writing him off.

I just hope the fireworks are entertaining for me and damaging for the Republican Party.

1 Like