The Walking Eagle thread

Let’s not forget he’s responsible for the deaths of hundreds of people, at least, through gross negligence.

And yet he’s able to walk free, and able to revert to the very thing that started his journey.

Something seriously wrong somewhere.

2 Likes

$83million in damages :joy:

I hope she has patience over getting paid

Probably more important though, this was the closing statement from the judge
https://x.com/eorden/status/1750998393910919556?s=20

1 Like

That should shut the cunt up.

If only.

2 Likes

As far as attacking her it will.

1 Like

I admire your optimism.

He is the epitomy of dog shit on the bottom of your shoe.

1 Like

Rudy declared bankrupcy after the GA election civil case he lost that left him with a $150m bill. It has now been revealed that one of his largest assets are unpaid legal bills from one Donald John Trump leaving him liable to be sued for the money by the US bankruptcy trustee :joy:

3 Likes

Fake news! :wink:

ha ha … it just gets better !

1 Like

Hard to argue…

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/george-conway-goes-on-epic-rant-against-sadistic-trump-has-no-conscience-and-republicans-know-he-is-an-evil-man/

1 Like

… admit that they’ve been covering up for a sexual predator, a criminal, a thief, a man who does not deserve to hold any office, let alone the highest office in the land.

The problem is that most people don’t want to admit that they have got it wrong. Especially on such a grand scale.

1 Like

Read a quip that stated Trump is in court so often at the moment, there is a shortage of Orange pastels in the art shops for the court sketch artists.
To me, Trump looks as though he has been dressed, and had his make-up applied by some mortician somewhere - looks so phoney and unreal

Looks don’t lie

Cedric The Entertainer Reaction GIF by CBS

I don’t know if it’s simply my own unwavering pessimism about Trump ever being brought to account for his misdeeds but this weeks’ news on several fronts just seems remarkably reinforcing of my disposition , and even more depressing ;

1. The Washington, D.C. case on charges for attempting to subvert the 2020 election , the one most likely to go to trial pre-election and the one that poses the greatest danger to Trump. The start date of March 4 has now been officially scrapped by the judge while she waits for the appeals court to rule (‘if and when’ ! ) on his ridiculous immunity claims. Assuming that they do so in fairly short order this case could yet be taken up by the SC and be pushed beyond the election.

2. Georgia election interference case. Fani Willis was yesterday forced to admit to a relationship she has been having with the lead prosecutor , in response to a motion to have them both removed from the case , while most likely simultaneously torpedoing the entire prosecution. Not disqualifying on their own , her actions however are being spun by Trump’s lawyers (aided and abetted now by a subpoena from House Republicans) to suggest not only impropriety but also financial corruption. This staggering own goal could cost her the game.

3. Mar-a-Largo documents case. Jack Smith yesterday used a long and protracted filing to counter claims from the Trump team that the prosecution is politically motivated and infected with legal impropriety. That he had to do so , ostensibly for the benefit of a hopelessly naive judge who has already shown bias to the defendant does not bode well. The chances of this case coming to trial anytime soon are vanishingly small.

4. The Manhattan hush money case. Alvin Bragg’s dubiously conceived case is , for the moment , looking like it might now be first in line to be heard. This is by far the weakest case against Trump , and it is also the case that coincided with his political revival and rise in the polls. An early acquittal in this one would supercharge Trump’s ‘witch hunt’ claims and give him momentum before the election.

All in all , a not good very bad week for those of us still hoping that the US justice system was ultimately beyond the manipulation of one man’s poisonous schemings.

1 Like

Yeah, that all seems like a fairly decent summation of the legal cases. I’d add that:

1. The time taken by the appeals court to rule on his immunity claim appears to be surprising insiders given the absurdity of the claim, and the length of the delay has now resulted in an altering of the trial calendar. This is maybe a sign of what is to come given the difficulty of the situation, but I think we need to recognize the size of the issue this particular court is handling. I think most acknowledge the final decision is straight forward (no immunity) but it is such a novel question with such enormous implications for future precedent that the specific wording of the ruling is really important. You can understand them taking their time over that.

2. This is a bit of a nothing issue other than the mileage it gives to Trump’s people in the court of public opinion to argue it is a politically motivated prosecution. Relationships like this among prosecutors are very common and do not produce any sort of CoI. What it does do though is to open the door to an argument of self-dealing…Willis is prosecuting a case for the benefit of enriching her partner and thus herself. This what the Trump people are now argument, but it is a suggestion immediately shot down by the overt strength of the case. I think this falls into the category of issues of they were always going to make bad faith arguments to question the legitimacy of the cases and you cannot spend too much time second guessing your actions to avoid the creation of one of those.

3. The strongest case but the worst judge. I’m still hopeful that the strength of the case will play out, but Cannon is doing a bang up job of gumming it up. There were interesting developments this week in this one suggesting further evidence of Trump not cooperating with the search (the revelation of secret rooms on MaL where documents are supposedly hidden, suggesting that he might still be in possession of stuff he shouldnt have)

4. The weakest legal case, but interesting given its ties to the ongoing civil case against the Trump Org. That case is expected to be resolved within the next week or two with most court watchers predicting penalties to Trump of around $500m, which is surely going to be unable to pay. The prospect of a presidential candidate declaring personal bankruptcy is preposterous and like most things with trump would normally have been assumed to be an automatic disqualifier even not explicitly stated anywhere. But what it probably does is open the door for him conducting even more criminal activity at a time when he is under such close watch that it likely increases his criminal exposure even more. The other thing in this case is the report that his CFO has now decided to flip and while that has implications for the civil case it is already directly related to this one and is expected to expand the scope of the criminal charges thus bolstering what currently looks like a comparatively weak case.

2 Likes

Boom here it is, finally - the DC appeals court have very firmly and unequivocally rejected Trump’s claim of presidential immunity.

In related news in the NY fraud case
https://x.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1754917072067293505?s=20

3 Likes

Some good news for a change. It sound like Engoron is going to crucify him financially.

Will the SC now have to quickly decide whether to take the immunity case or not , seeing as the full appeals court route seems to have been bypassed ?

Not that it will stop them if they choose to just YOLO, which is always a possibility with this majority, but it was such a weird claim he was making, and such a door slamming opinion by this appeals court, that I dont see what grounds they can come up with for it.

I get being skeptical about their motivations, but you’d think if they were looking for a way to help him out they’d think they’d see the Colorado 14th amendment appeal (state ballot access) as the better option. Not that there is are any better legal arguments to make in that case, but that the discourse around it gives them more extra room to contrive an extra-legal argument camouflaged as a legal one that they could position in a way that wouldnt fall too far out of bounds with the NYT and WAPO talking heads. Of course, that isnt what they should be doing, but…

1 Like

They’ve actually been remarkably loathe to be seen to be giving him any wins thus far , presumably to protect what remains of their already stained reputations.

I agree that they’ll probably throw out the Colorado appeal because I just don’t see how they’d ever set themselves up for being held responsible for disqualifying a Republican presidential candidate.

As far as the immunity case goes surely the fact hasn’t escaped them that were he to prevail in November and also have absolute immunity to boot then any rulings the court would make in future that he disagreed with he would simply ignore , rendering themselves , in effect , impotent.

1 Like